December 18, 2014, 04:52:27 AM

Author Topic: How To Water Proof?  (Read 2047 times)

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: How To Water Proof?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »
I kayak and have a small pelican case just big enough for my camera and most used lens.  It rides between my legs in the kayak where I can get to it quickly.  I carry two other lenses in a dry bag in the hatch.  I rarely ever change lens, but I have them if needed and will stop to retrieve them and change them out.

Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 11:53:32 PM »
Waterproofing technology.... Whatever you choose, it is not perfect. Nothing will survive immersion for hours, what you are doing is buying time, and in some cases, impact resistance.

You can go flexible, or you can go hard shell. Hardshell gives superior impact protection, and if the seals are good, great immersion protection..... A hard shell is the easiest to get gear in and out of but they are very hard to carry on a kayak. You can get a kayak deck bag.... And they are supposed to be waterproof, but they are not.... Roll the kayak and when you come up, it comes up with LOTS of water inside.

An interesting variation of hard shells are beta cases, a round lens case that provides great protection from impact and from immersion. They are the best way to carry a lens in a kayak.

Dry bags work well.... But beware of condensation and make sure you get at least 3 or 4 rolls of the top. Avoid the ultralight hiking bags because you will wear through them VERY fast. Avoid the clear ones because they are sticky and hard to get gear in and out of. I put a small towel and a desiccant pack into the dry bags to save me from minor leaks.

You can also go for a waterproof P/S camera.... But beware.... They do not float. You can get a float to hook onto the camera strap, or you can be like me and keep it in the pocket of the PFD and have a safety cord.

In the pictures.... Left to right... 10L dry bag that holds a DSLR and a good sized lens, 5L dry bag that is good for a compact DSLR and small lens (I use it for an SX-50), a pair of Beta Shells, and a Pelican case with a waterproof P/S on top of it. Behind is a LARGE pelican case and a guard animal to keep mice and tuna away from the gear. The bottom picture is a deck bag.... Use to hold your lunch.... Do NOT put a camera in it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:39:07 AM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

TheJock

• EOS M2
  • Learning one day at a time...thanks to CR :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 04:22:52 AM »
LOL, I love the cardboard box in the background with the “cat shape” cut out, especially the ears ;D
70D - 100-400L - 24-105L - 50 f1.8 II - 100 f2.8 USM Macro - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Sigma 610 ST.
Next on the hit list - 5DIII - 18-35 f1.8 DG HSM
My Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/126853167@N07/

rowancastle

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
Good to see another vote for beta shell cases - best lens cases I have ever used.
5D Mk III, 16-35 f/2.8 IIL, 24-105 f/4L, 100 f/2.8L Macro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »