October 24, 2014, 09:32:14 PM

Author Topic: How to Annoy a Photography Snob  (Read 14901 times)

NancyP

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: How to Annoy a Photography Snob
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »
I am learning to shoot large format 4 x 5 (B&W), and am awaiting my first photo encounter with a high-end Canon or Nikon user. Great opportunity for reverse snobbery - film, old format, old bellows camera, really old (circa 1960) single-coated lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 01:50:26 PM »
I really get a kick out of the people who put the camera in Manual and then adjust until the in camera meter says 0.

I fear there is a significant number of photographers who shoot manual who do just that.

But in any case, the best way to annoy a photography snob is to ignore them.  They hate that!  Their opinion *is* important!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:22:09 PM by AcutancePhotography »
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »
Don't just take better pictures than the snob.... take better pictures than the snob in "green box" mode :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

DWalla

• SX60 HS
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »
There are always good reasons to shoot in various modes.

P-mode is fantastic when run-and-gunning a live event where light is constantly shifting as well as the subjects. Where shutter speed or aperture effects aren't important to the shot.

A-priority is great for various reasons especially when trying to control depth-of-field. Or when trying to keep the ISO below a certain point.

T-priority is wonderful when you need a specific shutter speed for either greater sharpness or blurriness of action.

Manual also has it's place. I use this frequently as well.... I shoot on the 5D3 and will set my aperture for the depth-of-field I prefer, set my time to a minimum of 60 (for motion shots) and Auto-ISO to let the camera adjust for the lighting. This way I have control over the look. The 5D3 is great in low-light situations, so the manual feature with auto-ISO comes in very hand at this point.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »

P-mode is fantastic when run-and-gunning a live event where light is constantly shifting as well as the subjects. Where shutter speed or aperture effects aren't important to the shot.

A-priority is great for various reasons especially when trying to control depth-of-field. Or when trying to keep the ISO below a certain point.

T-priority is wonderful when you need a specific shutter speed for either greater sharpness or blurriness of action.

Manual also has it's place. I use this frequently as well.... I shoot on the 5D3 and will set my aperture for the depth-of-field I prefer, set my time to a minimum of 60 (for motion shots) and Auto-ISO to let the camera adjust for the lighting. This way I have control over the look. The 5D3 is great in low-light situations, so the manual feature with auto-ISO comes in very hand at this point.

I think you just annoyed a whole bunch of them right there  ;D

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »

Being able to set a minimum shutter speed is an absolute gem of a feature on this camera. Love it  :)
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 03:52:44 PM »
Last weekend, I went out to the desert with the local natural history group and saw a huge guy with muscles on muscles, shooting with a big Nikon D4 + 800mm lens, holding them with just one hand ... obviously he was showing off to some of the ladies there,

One hand, as in the shutter button hand (gripping the camera, and letting the lens "hang off" the front)? That guy is crazy!! I'd be worried about the stress on the mount by such a huge lens... People HAVE sheared off their supertelephoto lenses right at the lens mount, and it doesn't seem to take as much force as you would expect.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 03:52:44 PM »

dhr90

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »
Don't just take better pictures than the snob.... take better pictures than the snob in "green box" mode :)

How about doing that with a camera phone?  ;)
Canon 7D, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, Tokina AT-X124 12-24 f4 AF PRO DX II

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 06:29:57 PM »
I just love to come here and gush about a Sigma lens....especially when it's better than the Canon counterpart....You can just feel the "L" Groupies getting nervous tics...they try to express their opposing opinion (...the "rendering" in the "L" is more to my liking...) with tact...but you can just feel their indignation right thru your keypad.....I guess I don't understand the Fanbois groupie thing....but it is entertaining.  8) 8) 8)
How dare you sir? ... don't you know that there is a commandment that says "thou shalt not question L supremacy"? ;D

My only beef with third party lenses is poor resale value, which of course stems from people's ignorance of third party lenses, thus triggering a vicious cycle.
So if the 35A and 35L were both the same price I'd go for the L. I've used it briefly, and while the Sigma is probably better, the 35L is amazing already. But I won't pay $ 500 for that L ring! I actually tape over the L rings on my lenses.

But not only the L fanboys are vehement against Sigmas and Tamrons. I was shocked how Ken Rockwell snubbed the excellent 18-35mm (even he had to agree it is optically superior) and advocated not in favor of an L but all the EF-S lenses! Of course, he recourses to simply lying when comparing the 35A's build quality to the 35L's. Without batting an eyelid, he says the Canon has a metallic body and the Sigma has a cheap plastic body.
And in both Sigma reviews he holds being sharp as a bad thing, saying these are sharp because they are built for amateurs, who care only about sharpness! Lol! So to build a lens for pros, Canon and Nikon deliberately build non-sharp lenses.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

traingineer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 10:05:42 PM »
I just love to come here and gush about a Sigma lens....especially when it's better than the Canon counterpart....You can just feel the "L" Groupies getting nervous tics...they try to express their opposing opinion (...the "rendering" in the "L" is more to my liking...) with tact...but you can just feel their indignation right thru your keypad.....I guess I don't understand the Fanbois groupie thing....but it is entertaining.  8) 8) 8)
How dare you sir? ... don't you know that there is a commandment that says "thou shalt not question L supremacy"? ;D

My only beef with third party lenses is poor resale value, which of course stems from people's ignorance of third party lenses, thus triggering a vicious cycle.
So if the 35A and 35L were both the same price I'd go for the L. I've used it briefly, and while the Sigma is probably better, the 35L is amazing already. But I won't pay $ 500 for that L ring! I actually tape over the L rings on my lenses.

But not only the L fanboys are vehement against Sigmas and Tamrons. I was shocked how Ken Rockwell snubbed the excellent 18-35mm (even he had to agree it is optically superior) and advocated not in favor of an L but all the EF-S lenses! Of course, he recourses to simply lying when comparing the 35A's build quality to the 35L's. Without batting an eyelid, he says the Canon has a metallic body and the Sigma has a cheap plastic body.
And in both Sigma reviews he holds being sharp as a bad thing, saying these are sharp because they are built for amateurs, who care only about sharpness! Lol! So to build a lens for pros, Canon and Nikon deliberately build non-sharp lenses.

Well Ken does think that the tripod is a menace to society and is the #1 tool to ruin your photographs. :|
7D | 24-70mm F2.8 I | 50mm F1.8 II | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
Although #5, P mode... I sorta agree if you have anything above a 70D or so. At least learn enough to use Av or Tv if you're going to spend that much money. Rebel or other entry-level SLR/ILC, sure, ok if you just want a more capable camera than a phone or bottom level P&S.
If someone wants to own a 1DX or 5D MK III and use it in P or Auto mode, why not, its their their money and their choice ... when more people buy high end DSLR's, its better for the manufacturer and the customer - they get volumes and we get lower prices.

I really get a kick out of the people who put the camera in Manual and then adjust until the in camera meter says 0.  Dude, there I was!, deep in the jungle, tigers to my right, supermodels to my left: totally shooting in Manual!

+1 !!

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »

Another reason to never read a single word Rockwell has said about anything, ever!

You were joking when you said you taped over your L red rings, right?

yorgasor

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:10 AM »
Ugh, I bet the guy was shooting in JPEG too.  What a loser.  If you're not shooting in RAW, why are you even taking the picture?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:10 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:13 AM »
If you're not shooting in RAW, why are you even taking the picture?
;D ;D ... that's a good one ... unfortunately, I've actually heard a guy say that.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

yorgasor

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2014, 01:31:45 AM »
If you're not shooting in RAW, why are you even taking the picture?
;D ;D ... that's a good one ... unfortunately, I've actually heard a guy say that.

Heh, it was probably me :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2014, 01:31:45 AM »