December 10, 2017, 09:26:11 PM

Author Topic: Should I buy 6d or 5MkIII?  (Read 7049 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Should I buy 6d or 5MkIII?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 06:37:09 PM »
A tilt shift is not good advice for the OP.

The 6D and 17-40, a Manfrotto 055 with a 410 geared head plus three flashes, I'd suggest YN-560 III's and a 603 II trigger, couple of stands and a Justin clamp. Oh, and this eBook http://photographyforrealestate.net/lighting/

For the vast majority of real estate shooting size and absolute IQ is not a factor, MLS limits are often very small and 1024 px images are normal, any advantage a tilt shift can give could be done in post to these sizes and larger. The only time a tilt shift is a good buy is if the clients are demanding higher quality for posters and architectural images, magazines, things like that.

At this point in time the majority of my income is from real estate photography, specifically for developers, they demand high IQ as they output in print and posters etc as well as websites. I use the 17 TS-E, mostly for interiors, but don't require the movements that much, exteriors normally need a longer focal length.

As for shift use, well as Don says, in real estate it is mainly used for keeping walls straight when shooting taller lines, it doesn't actually change the plane of focus any, that is always parallel to the plane of the sensor until you use tilt, but tilt has very limited use in real estate work, much more in architectural imaging. I use shift to get less ceiling and more floor space in the image whilst keeping the optimal viewing height, but you can fake that with a wider lens and crop.

I'm gonna agree with PBD here except i'm gonna add that I think another choice for the OP would be an EOS-M and the 11-22 IS STM lens seriously this combo is not that far off a 5Dmk3 and 16-35 f2.8L II ! I think the 11-22 has sharper corners! I understand its not nearly as impressive looking a setup or does not look as pro but I am being blown away by how good this combo is.

BUT unfortunately the shadow recovery of the crop sensor on the EOS-M is considerably worse than the FF
so it also highly depends on how you are going to process.

Using HDR? bracketing to cover the DR issues and enfuse to process then the EOS-M and 11-22 will be just fine.
Trying to do it in a single shot? then the 6D will definitely have a noticeable advantage. Or as PBD says use speed lights to fill in the shadows
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 06:37:09 PM »

MrVeda

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 10:11:49 PM »
Wow - thanks for all the great feedback - much appreciated.

I'm leaning towards the 6d with the Canon 16-35mm UWA using Aperature for post editing. I've read tons to support the extra cost over the 17-40mm is well worth the investment. The quality of pics are used primarily for online marketing but much more high res than for MLS purposes. Pics have to be uploaded in high res for full screen slideshows.

Is there a specific uv filter that will give a good all round use for interior and exterior shots to suit stills of rooms?

Thanks again!

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »

I'm leaning towards the 6d with the Canon 16-35mm UWA using Aperature for post editing. I've read tons to support the extra cost over the 17-40mm is well worth the investment. The quality of pics are used primarily for online marketing but much more high res than for MLS purposes. Pics have to be uploaded in high res for full screen slideshows.

Is there a specific uv filter that will give a good all round use for interior and exterior shots to suit stills of rooms?

Thanks again!

I use hoods rather than uv filters... and the 16-35 comes with a hood... You might want to onsider a cpl filter for exterior shots... but I wouldn't suggest a UV... though others may suggest otherwise...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 10:55:09 PM »

Thanks again!

For real estate shooting f8 and smaller, there is absolutely zero benefit of the 16-35 over the 17-40, indeed the 17-40 has a better zoom range as 35-40 is more useful than 16-17, trust me on this one, the 17-40 is a better lens for you (and me).

Even full sized tv screens are only 2 and a bit MP, a computer screen a bit more. A 4K screen, which almost nobody has is a mere 8MP, so keep perspective on what you actually need IQ wise, these forums do have a lot of people very gear and ultimate IQ orientated, overkill is expensive!

As for the software, I got on much better with Lightroom than Aperture, and everybody that makes imaging software plugins makes a version for Adobe, whereas Apple and independent developers seem to let Aperture slide too often.

Depending on the results you are after Aperture and Lightroom might not give you the capabilities you need, if you link to some images you would like to achieve I'll tell you what techniques were used to do it, this will help you plan your overall strategy.

I don't use UV filters, with such varying light sources encountered in real estate, and the fact that it is not a demanding climate (dust, dirt, ran, sea spray etc) they can only diminish your output. A polarizer can be a very useful filter though for controlling reflections and glare on wood floors, counter tops etc.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 11:08:23 PM »

Thanks again!

For real estate shooting f8 and smaller, there is absolutely zero benefit of the 16-35 over the 17-40, indeed the 17-40 has a better zoom range as 35-40 is more useful than 16-17, trust me on this one, the 17-40 is a better lens for you (and me).

Even full sized tv screens are only 2 and a bit MP, a computer screen a bit more. A 4K screen, which almost nobody has is a mere 8MP, so keep perspective on what you actually need IQ wise, these forums do have a lot of people very gear and ultimate IQ orientated, overkill is expensive!

As for the software, I got on much better with Lightroom than Aperture, and everybody that makes imaging software plugins makes a version for Adobe, whereas Apple and independent developers seem to let Aperture slide too often.

Depending on the results you are after Aperture and Lightroom might not give you the capabilities you need, if you link to some images you would like to achieve I'll tell you what techniques were used to do it, this will help you plan your overall strategy.

I don't use UV filters, with such varying light sources encountered in real estate, and the fact that it is not a demanding climate (dust, dirt, ran, sea spray etc) they can only diminish your output. A polarizer can be a very useful filter though for controlling reflections and glare on wood floors, counter tops etc.

I was reading the 4K sony post earlier with the 12mp camera... and I believe they were saying is that 4K=12mp because it was a 1:1 ratio... pixel for pixel. 

I don't care.. but I want to make sure it is right before I lock 12 MP = 4K before I lock it into my memory.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
Depends on which 4K you are talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_%28resolution%29

But the vast majority of available monitors and tv's use 3840x2160 for 8.3MP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_4K_monitors,_TVs_and_projectors
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

philmoz

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:26 PM »

Thanks again!

I was reading the 4K sony post earlier with the 12mp camera... and I believe they were saying is that 4K=12mp because it was a 1:1 ratio... pixel for pixel. 

I don't care.. but I want to make sure it is right before I lock 12 MP = 4K before I lock it into my memory.

A7s stills - 4240 x 2832 = 12MP (3:2 aspect ratio)
4K video (UHDTV) - 3840 x 2160 = 8.3MP (16:9 aspect ratio)

Phil.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:26 PM »