November 27, 2014, 02:12:20 AM

Author Topic: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras  (Read 23331 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Yesterday we posted an internal service advisory for the Canon EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C. These are advisories that are only known to a select few within Canon and not told to the consumers.

We have a lot of more of these documents that cover various Canon lenses and camera bodies, there’s even more on the EOS-1D X mirrorbox.

The person that sent them to us didn’t have an issue with Canon keeping this stuff internal. However, they were upset that a lot of the issues are known to Canon and they’re still charging customers for the repairs out of warranty. There are a couple of lenses with design flaws and Canon is charging $250-$450 for these repairs out of warranty and not fully disclosing the design flaw to the customer.

We’re not sure whether or not we’ll post the rest of the internal documents we have in our possession. If you think there’s value in us doing so, please sound off in our forum.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Nick Gombinsky

• Rebel SL1
  • Workaholic and alcoholic
    • View Profile
Re: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »
Well, I for one think that it is a scam to sell something that will brake because of a design flaw and then charge for it's repair.
I vote for releasing this information and have Canon deal with what should have dealt when they realised they had an issue. We shouldn't have to pay for someone else's mistake.
Canon 7D + grip, Canon 7N + grip
Samyang 16mm f2, 24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4, Pentax Takumar SMC M42 50mm f1.4 and 135mm f2.5
Blackmagic 4K and lots of goodies

gsealy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 12:13:34 PM »
The reason these forums exist is to share information.  So yeah, anything factual of this nature should be socialized.  If there is a known design flaw, then that is different than a malfunction of a lens after the warranty expires.  For a design flaw Canon essentially sold something that was not as described and presented in the marketing materials.  It hurts, but they should make good on them.  Their reputation and consumer confidence is at stake. Otherwise, what are we to believe in the future?  Should we buy a $3000 lens that is a piece of junk?

Please post any information that you have, so at least we know what lens are affected and what the issues are.

Thanks!

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:15:29 PM »
Interesting, I can imagine some canon execs being a bit sweaty right now

darrill@gmail.com

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »
I have a couple of Canon lenses that have been back and forth to Canon with the faults yet to be fixed.

It would be good to see if there is a recognised problem with these expensive lenses.

ImageDayphoto

• SX60 HS
  • Live Photography, love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:20 PM »
I would certainly like to see this information having just had to replace my 24-105mm L zoom due to an auto focus fault which, based on other internet forums appears widespread

johnschipp

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 12:26:56 PM »
Send the materials to the Consumer Protection Agency and announce it on the site. That should get some attention.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 12:26:56 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »
If you're going to do it, do it quick and all at once...

before Canon lawyers can have the courts shut you down.

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

kjosker

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 12:29:39 PM »
It is basically dishonest to know of a design flaw, keeping it quiet, and then charging for repairs. I'm all for releasing any and all information available. And I'm all for reporting these unethical practices to consumer advocacy groups, state's attorney general and anyone else with an interest in consumer rights.

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
Well I think you should if the info discloses information showing that Canon is charging customers for design flaws.  The equipment that Canon sells is typically at an incredibly high price, however, we are willing to pay this because of its optical and build quality. This sounds as if Canon is cheating its customers, and in that case I'd think that its your obligation to post it.

If this is just info that only hurts Canon, but doesn't show any misuse of customer trust, then that's up to you.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »
Of course you should get the information released, but I'd be very careful how you do it. Goodwill and being in, or on the edge, of a loop can swing both ways.

Consumers should be privy to this kind of information, just ask the new Chair of GM. But it is equally important to keep perspective and not let rumour and incorrect conclusions unduly damage the core business, after all I am sure every company has such a list of papers. When I worked for Mitsubishi, many years ago we, had a silent recall on Pajero/Shogun manual gearboxes, to my knowledge nobody was ever hurt because of a failed gearbox and they were quietly replaced whenever a customer got a new clutch, but the huge cost and pressure of thousands of people demanding new gearboxes all at one time because of a recall would have completely overwhelmed the dealerships, that would have lead to poor service and cut corners, and subsequently the diminishing of a brand that tried to do the right thing.

But Canon should not be charging for faulty or failing design or manufacturing issues.
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 6D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
I say publish ASAP.
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 12:34:20 PM »
Yes, absolutely post the rest of the internal documents! I am particularly interested in the new Canon 24–70 II lens clicking problem.

Both GM and Toyota have got caught with their pants down because of internal documents and ignoring problems. Why should Canon get away too just because it's a camera maker?
Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 12:34:20 PM »

gratomlin

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • pbase
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
absolutely you should publish this information, i have a 10-22mm that is really soft on the right hand side when the weather is hot, so i would like to see if its on the list, i think you owe it to your readers to disclose any info of this nature to be honest
5d mkIII, 7d, 10-22, 24-105, 70-200 IS, sigma 150 macro, 12-24 mk ii and 150-500

Raw Image

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
I think the info should be posted, there's people who save and spend their money thinking they will be getting a great quality item. Canon should fix the problem on their dime, not ours

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »