October 31, 2014, 03:45:01 AM

Author Topic: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras  (Read 22661 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2014, 12:14:38 PM »
How is the fact of cheap filters grinding a lens front element any verification of a bad spring component? The 24-70/2.8 II is internal focusing and when it zooms the front element doesn't move with respects to the filter attached. Besides, Cicala never said the front element damage via cheap filter issue was the result of an internal lens design defect. Please at least connect dots on a plane that really does exist.
Who said that the two issues are connected and one is the cause for the other?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2014, 12:14:38 PM »

Expat

« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »
"So there is no clicking during zooming too?
There is no coating damage in at least 2 CR members?
There is no contact with some filters (at least some noname/cheap ones) as Roger Cicala posted in LensRentals?
There are no bubbles as at least 1 member reported?"

Ah. So I get your game now Tron. You did write the above in reply to my post which specifically addressed the alleged bad spring issue. Why would you write that in reply if you did not mean it to indicate that you were connecting the alleged bad spring issue to the issues quoted above? Your game is blown Tron. You have no internal Canon memos. Perhaps the fraudulent behavior is not with Canon.

avp

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »
Ive been reading with interest the complaints regarding manufactures and (bad build quality). In the UK we
have a consumer law its the 6 year rule fit for purpose and its very powerful here. If the manufacture does
not repair or replace the unit. Then a trip to the county court showing evidence like on cr. You will most likely get judgment to your favour not good for manufactures. They will not want to go any where near the counts and the cost to the complainant / user is very low. Food for thoughts for UK users.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 01:29:48 PM by avp »

sulla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • my flickr page
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2014, 04:12:44 PM »
Canonleaks!

Of course we want this information published. We customers don't want to be made fools of!
5D & EF 8-15 f/4L, EF 16-35 f/2.8L II, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 40 f/2.8 STM, MP-E 65 f/2.8 Macro, TS-E 90 f/2.8, EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »
"So there is no clicking during zooming too?
There is no coating damage in at least 2 CR members?
There is no contact with some filters (at least some noname/cheap ones) as Roger Cicala posted in LensRentals?
There are no bubbles as at least 1 member reported?"

Ah. So I get your game now Tron. You did write the above in reply to my post which specifically addressed the alleged bad spring issue. Why would you write that in reply if you did not mean it to indicate that you were connecting the alleged bad spring issue to the issues quoted above? Your game is blown Tron. You have no internal Canon memos. Perhaps the fraudulent behavior is not with Canon.
Very funny. either you have ... let's say problem with logic reasoning or you are Canon employee.
And this is said by someone who has 2 5D3 cameras and many L lenses so I am a Canon fan.

The previous posts referred to other problems that members had encountered. Since these problems are not fictitious I say that this problem may be real too. I do not care if there is a document internal or not. I care that this may be potential problem for me since my 24-70 2.8 ii lens falls in the category before Aug 2013. It is so simple.

SO NO I DO NOT WANT TO BE SUCH AN ISSUE.  THE LESS ISSUES THE BETTER!

And if you bother to read the previous posts you will see that I ask for disclosure. I do not have anything. I asked for information. Can you see the difference?  ::)

John

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »
i sent in my 1dx about a year ago. it had focusing problems that canon found difficult to diagnose. in fact, they send it back to me initially since the repair center couldn't duplicate the problem. the camera would focus ok for a few dozen shots, then fail to lock focus. i sent it back in again. canon eventually discovered that i had a faulty mirror box assembly and replaced it. canon did not charge me for the repair. they said that the faulty mirror box assembly was still under warranty. this occurred last march (2013)

i also sent them a 70-200 fairly recently for cleaning. it was fine when i sent the lens in, but the lens would not focus properly when they returned it to me. weird. i sent it back and they replaced something on the lens for free. fortunately, they took responsibility for doing something while it was in their control to damage the lens.

i did not enjoy either of these experiences with canon repair.

in closing, i will say that i love my 1dx. it is an amazing camera. i have not experienced any problems with it since they replaced the mirror assembly and i often take a few thousand pictures per week.

Expat

« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
Tron don't get desparate. Your attempts to hit below the belt missed horribly. "Canon employee"? LOL!! I would love to have a discussion with you about the dialectical methodology of historical materialism since you must be an authority on logic, a component in something I took my undergrad degree in. I am concerned about consumer protection and consumer rights. The topic of this string is "We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras". Where is it? Where did it come from? With respects to the so-called bad spring there is even a diagram on this site that purports to show the offending part along side the correcting part. What is the source of that diagram? I was concerned because I just bought one. According to the best information I can access it seems my lens was manufactured after March yet before August 2013. I plan on taking a year off next year to travel and do not want to have issues. I can return my lens to the vendor tomorrow and stand at the counter until they bring me a serial number I like if need be. So I want to get to the bottom of this. Canon is being accused of fraudulent behavior. Worse, there the inference of a cover-up. In my line of day work, this is serious. Anyone wanting authentic full disclosure from Canon should know that this forum is patently NOT the venue to ask for it. There are only two reasons to get on a forum with such posts as these; either one is truly trying to help fellow photographers or one is a troll. (Oh, I almost forgot the third reason; some people just need to moan and groan .) I have taken the time to write to Canon and received a response which I have posted here and archived. People with issues' whether grinding focusing noises or something else, write to Canon and get a written response. Can anyone spell c-l-a-s-s-a-c-t-i-o-n?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
Tron don't get desparate. Your attempts to hit below the belt missed horribly. "Canon employee"? LOL!! I would love to have a discussion with you about the dialectical methodology of historical materialism since you must be an authority on logic, a component in something I took my undergrad degree in. I am concerned about consumer protection and consumer rights. The topic of this string is "We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras". Where is it? Where did it come from? With respects to the so-called bad spring there is even a diagram on this site that purports to show the offending part along side the correcting part. What is the source of that diagram? I was concerned because I just bought one. According to the best information I can access it seems my lens was manufactured after March yet before August 2013. I plan on taking a year off next year to travel and do not want to have issues. I can return my lens to the vendor tomorrow and stand at the counter until they bring me a serial number I like if need be. So I want to get to the bottom of this. Canon is being accused of fraudulent behavior. Worse, there the inference of a cover-up. In my line of day work, this is serious. Anyone wanting authentic full disclosure from Canon should know that this forum is patently NOT the venue to ask for it. There are only two reasons to get on a forum with such posts as these; either one is truly trying to help fellow photographers or one is a troll. (Oh, I almost forgot the third reason; some people just need to moan and groan .) I have taken the time to write to Canon and received a response which I have posted here and archived. People with issues' whether grinding focusing noises or something else, write to Canon and get a written response. Can anyone spell c-l-a-s-s-a-c-t-i-o-n?
Ignoring the bla blas in the beginning I finally read something I agree with you. You ask  for proof. I would love to see proof for the authenticity of these documents or proof for the opposite.

I also see that no matter how many we asked for this disclosure authentic or not the Canon Rumors administrator didn't give anything. So maybe too much trouble for nothing and this thread was just created 3 days late (4th April instead of 1st, or the admins were given these documents April 1st and created this thread 3 days later who knows).

P.S I still do not feel good with the Err01 that I saw on my lens 3 times. The only thing that calms me somehow  is that this is not repeated. And certainly I do not want it to produce various sounds when I focus manually...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:50:37 PM by tron »

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2014, 11:41:12 PM »
I support the idea of posting the service advisories so folks have ready access to the information.  It would be, in my view, one of the most useful things CanonRumors could do.  Hopefully the folks at Canon see this the same way?  I know that I would be checking it on any body or lens I sent in for work, and requesting a pre-emptive fix on anything likely to break catastrophically even if the part replacement costs me a few dollars.

I suggest the posts be put in a separate forum so folks looking to find out whether an issue they're having was reported can quickly search that forum.  Perhaps something like "Canon Advisories" under "Canon Rumors General." 

If it were me, I'd disable conversation on such a forum--folks who want to bitch about a defect can do so under the regular conversation areas.  I remember a problem with the switches on the old micromotor 100mm macro: the plastic was weak, and eventually each switch broke (M/AF switch and focus limiter switch).  The replacements have been fine for about 20 years, so I guess they fixed the problem.  Any complex product is likely to have some defect in a run every now and again.  Get over it, folks.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2014, 01:29:01 AM »
Yes, of course! And the 50mm 1.4 has got to be on the list right?

njwhitworth

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2014, 07:09:07 AM »
I definitely think you should publish all the information on the 1DX mirrorbox problem.  I sold my 1D Mark IV in order to upgrade to a 1DX but after receiving and returning 2 brand new units (both with serial numbers later than the published affected range) which exhibited oil splattered all over the sensor, I lost faith and have returned to shooting with a 1D Mark IV.  If Canon is disingenuously withholding information about this problem I feel I have a right as a consumer and as a loyal Canon customer to see that information.

fred75

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2014, 07:39:36 AM »
I think it would be bad to publish all the information, the cure would be worse than the desease.
- in this age, these advisories would inflate to irrational defiance.
- it is normal practice that Canon collects repeat repairs. These are consumer goods (except for the expensive "big whites" and the 1DX), getting free service for all repeated problems does not fit with the prices that we pay.
- Pushing transparency should concentrate on big problems (1DIII AF, 1DX oil, D600 dust, ...) in my opinion.
- I don't think the camera industry needs this kind of bashing right now...

The potential impacts I see :

-> For the consumer :
+ in case of problem, strong elements against Canon service if they deny the issue
+ possible free repair / exchange in that case
- stress and frustration for consumers without problem, a lot of testing, and false alerts
- possible higher prices of other repairs, longer delays, etc if Canon has a problem with service costs or the number of false alerts
- more difficult used market

-> for CanonRumors :
? you change the nature of your site (canonrumors -> canonleaks), I would expect this kind of leak site to do a lot of filtration/journalism to concentrate on really important issues, where Canon does really mishandle the client. If you just publish everything, it is in my opinion more an attack at the company than legitimate consumer defense.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »
I think it would be bad to publish all the information, the cure would be worse than the desease.
- in this age, these advisories would inflate to irrational defiance.
- it is normal practice that Canon collects repeat repairs. These are consumer goods (except for the expensive "big whites" and the 1DX), getting free service for all repeated problems does not fit with the prices that we pay.
- Pushing transparency should concentrate on big problems (1DIII AF, 1DX oil, D600 dust, ...) in my opinion.
- I don't think the camera industry needs this kind of bashing right now...

The potential impacts I see :

-> For the consumer :
+ in case of problem, strong elements against Canon service if they deny the issue
+ possible free repair / exchange in that case
- stress and frustration for consumers without problem, a lot of testing, and false alerts
- possible higher prices of other repairs, longer delays, etc if Canon has a problem with service costs or the number of false alerts
- more difficult used market

-> for CanonRumors :
? you change the nature of your site (canonrumors -> canonleaks), I would expect this kind of leak site to do a lot of filtration/journalism to concentrate on really important issues, where Canon does really mishandle the client. If you just publish everything, it is in my opinion more an attack at the company than legitimate consumer defense.

Some good points, though I'd argue the oil as being any kind of "issue" let alone a major one. I have 1Ds MkIII's, they too had an oil on sensor recall, which I didn't bother with. I am sorry, but if people are using $6,000+ cameras and don't know how to clean them, or are unsettled by a touch of dust, they need to learn their craft a bit better. Dirt on the sensor is a natural thing and all photographers should be fully capable of mitigating it through hardware (cleaning) and software (mapping, batch processing, spot removal). When I moved to the 1Ds MkIII's the biggest time saver was the self cleaning sensor, people forget how bad the dust and oil "issue" was pre self cleaning sensors. 
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »

Awolf

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2014, 10:10:46 AM »
As some about to send my 7d in for what appears to be a common issue with the camera with not recognizing the batteries and putting a constant drain on the batteries (both the main and a the clock battery), so they are dead in a couple days, i have resigned myself to paying for this repair. This report does have me thinking that buying a second body and more lens from Canon is a mistake.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »
The thing about this 'internal information' is that what is not stated is the prevalence of a given problem.  For example, the 'noisy focus ring' issue - we've seen and heard lots of complaints about the clicking while zooming, but that 'reveal' was the first time I've heard of any issue with the focus ring.  It's not cost effective to issue a public recall for a very tiny number of affected units where no personal danger is at stake. 

Which would you rather - Canon keep issues like these internal, and charge the prices that they currently do, or Canon publicize every single issue, no matter how rare, and raise the price of everything they sell 10% or more?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »