October 22, 2014, 08:10:19 PM

Author Topic: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras  (Read 22339 times)

redpoint

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »
The reputation of a company [from my perspective] is based on the quality of their product and their ethics. Canon is a huge and financially healthy corporation. I recently switched from Nikon to Canon and own a 1DX and a 24-70 f/2.8 mkII - with taxes, this equipment cost me over $10K. I expect top notch performance/reliability from this equipment and appreciate CR for posting this information. The fact that such an expensive, "robust" camera would have autofocus issues in cold weather is ridiculous and should be addressed head-on by Canon. I'd be be pretty pissed if Canon charged me to repair an issue that's a design flaw.

Thanks CR - keep up the good work and keep the advisories coming!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »
So didn't you read the specs of the camera before you bought it?

It is here in plain sight at the bottom: Operating Environment- http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x#Specifications

I don't understand how you can moan about a company who's equipment has not let you down and operates within its listed specs. But then again I am not prone to hysterical outbursts. That many people do use the cameras well outside the listed operating environment without issue is testament to how good your product actually is, but it isn't as much fun pointing that out is it?
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »

It is here in plain sight at the bottom: Operating Environment- http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x#Specifications

I don't understand how you can moan about a company who's equipment has not let you down and operates within its listed specs. But then again I am not prone to hysterical outbursts. That many people do use the cameras well outside the listed operating environment without issue is testament to how good your product actually is, but it isn't as much fun pointing that out is it?

+1

I've stood out in sub-freezing temps for hours shooting eagles, and my 1D X is from an early batch (pre-ordered from B&H  on the first day that was possible) that would presumably be among the affected cameras.  Mine performed flawlessly.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2014, 12:21:38 PM »
More first time posters, cribbing and crying about nothing .... all we've got so far is "show me the advisories or we deserve to know because we spent so and so amount of dollars, blah blah blah posts" without providing any design flaws that are widely complained about ... I smell a dead rat and a stinking fish.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

catfish252

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »
I believe that if there are design flaws that were known before the unit was released to manufacturing and they chose to hide it, then they need to feel the wrath. The Nikon D600 sensor problem is a perfect example, I believe Nikon knew that that camera had a problem and released it anyway. It wasn't until the lawyers filed a Class Action and the Chinese Government made them take it from the shelves that Nikon said they would clean or repair or replace the cameras. Nikon would have never done any of the after warranty repairs if the crap hadn't hit the fan. Sometimes you have to smack a big corporation around when they fail to remember who is paying their bills. Hopefully the folks who made the decisions to send out the faulty units will be fired, as they should be and it will cause the rest of management to return a level of respect/fear for the customer... and maybe not.

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
More first time posters, cribbing and crying about nothing .... all we've got so far is "show me the advisories or we deserve to know because we spent so and so amount of dollars, blah blah blah posts" without providing any design flaws that are widely complained about ... I smell a dead rat and a stinking fish.

Agreed.  I love my canon gear and Canon service has served me well over the years.

Sam Jones

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2014, 04:51:27 PM »
I would be very interested to see the reports as I have had numerous problems with my 24-105mm L lens, in fact it was at the Canon repair centre last week! I am considering buying a 24-70 F2.8 L Mk II in its place, however having just read a post about this lens having problems with a clicking noise maybe I should stick with what I've got. If the report was made public and if either of these lenses are mentioned, it would help me decide whether to buy the 24-70mm - £1800 is a huge spend for me so I don't want to make the wrong choice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2014, 04:51:27 PM »

traingineer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »

+96. ° ͜ʖ °
7D | 24-70mm F2.8 I | 50mm F1.8 II | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS

mnclayshooter

• Power Shot G7X
  • I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2014, 06:12:18 PM »
Even if this info doesn't get posted, I had some thoughts over the weekend about it.

I would LOVE to see some kind of matrix developed showing the number of CR "members" that have had issues with specific pieces of equipment.  It might start to shed some light on issues that we're all paying for service on that might just reflect a design flaw. 

I know it would be pretty unscientific without some kind of reciepts/proof of repairs, but it might still be interesting, if nothing else, it might become a good "buying guide" for people like me who don't know all of the "don't buy this lens, buy that one instead" kind of stuff. 

Canon gear: 6D, G1X, A620, 24-105L, 100-400L, 100mm Macro, 40mm pancake, 430EX II; Canon Deluxe Backpack 200EG; Non-Canon Gear: Tamron 17-35, Kenko Extension Tubes, Fong lightsphere, Tamron 1.4x TC, MeFoto Globtrekker tripod/head, BlackRapid sport

PhotoCounter

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2014, 07:26:37 PM »
WE covered a 1DX dispute in our Australalian trade website between a pro photographer and Canon which ended up in court, with Canon claiming their was no intrinsic problem with the model. Very ugly. Here's the initial story: http://procounter.com.au/2013/07/18/canon-warranty-dispute-leads-to-claims-of-fraud/
and the photographer's assessment of Canon's behaviour in court:
http://procounter.com.au/2013/07/25/no-real-winners-in-1dx-dispute/
Publish and be damned! They get away with this stuff because we just don't want to believe they would treat customers like that, and our knowledge is patchy.

Roo

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2014, 07:31:54 PM »

+1 We're seeing too much of that in this thread. 

1 or 2 complaints doesn't amount to a design flaw...even 30 or 40 wouldn't be given the high number of copies produced for the products mentioned.  I've looked at the Canon websites and they are good with their service advisories for specific issues with products, even down to providing the affected serial numbers.  This whole thing is just a beat up.

5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

redpoint

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2014, 11:16:15 PM »

Whoa - you're pretty sensitive if you think my post was a "hysterical outburst". Unbelievable. That time of the month?

I'm not moaning about anything. Just giving my opinion - that OK with you!?. Maybe it's an issue, maybe it's an isolated case ... I have no idea and I'm not about to spend the night researching this further. If it is an issue, I expect Canon to deal with it - that's all I'm saying - full stop. That's reasonable isn't it? I'm new to Canon [8 months or so] and have no experience with servicing.

If Canon has redesigned a part then it's faulty - right?  Can't argue with that logic. Design specs are between 0 and 40 degsC for the 1DX - I would hope it can handle 0 degs C. I shoot mountain landscapes at high altitudes all the time - no issues, but if there were, I'd expect Canon to fix a "known" issue.

Sorry guys, I don't spend all day reading forums or following the number of instances of this particular "issue" - this is the first I've heard of it. Nor have I read this thread in it's entirety. Thought I'd give my 2 cents, but I think I'll find another forum. Thanks for the welcome.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:32:49 PM by redpoint »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2014, 11:32:30 PM »

Whoa - you're pretty sensitive if you think my post was a "hysterical outburst". Unbelievable. That time of the month?

I'm not moaning about anything. Just giving my opinion - that OK with you!?. Maybe it's an issue, maybe it's an isolated case ... I have no idea and I'm not about to spend the night researching this further. If it is an issue, I expect Canon to deal with it - that's all I'm saying - full stop. That's reasonable isn't it? I'm new to Canon [8 months or so] and have no experience with servicing.

If Canon has redesigned a part then it's faulty - right?  Can't argue with that logic. Design specs are between 0 and minus 40 C for the 1DX - that's a big freaking range. I shoot mountain landscapes at high altitudes all the time - no issues, but if there were, I'd expect Canon to fix a "known" issue.

Sorry guys, I don't spend all day reading forums or following the number of instances of this particular "issue" - this is the first I've heard of it. Nor have I read this thread in it's entirety. Thought I'd give my 2 cents, but I think I'll find another forum. Thanks for the welcome.

Well you misread the spec its from 0 to 40C not between 0 and -40C.  In Farenheit its 32 to 104.

I have never seen any Canon literature that states the 1dx operating environment is less than 0C.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2014, 11:32:30 PM »

redpoint

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2014, 11:34:49 PM »

If Canon has redesigned a part then it's faulty - right?  Can't argue with that logic. Design specs are between 0 and minus 40 C for the 1DX - that's a big freaking range. I shoot mountain landscapes at high altitudes all the time - no issues, but if there were, I'd expect Canon to fix a "known" issue.

Well you misread the spec its from 0 to 40C not between 0 and -40C.  In Farenheit its 32 to 104.

I have never seen any Canon literature that states the 1dx operating environment is less than 0C.

Yeah - just fixed that. 0C isn't very cold, I should hope it could handle that.

gundul

• Power Shot G7X
  • Serious Amateur. Seriously An Amateur.
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2014, 09:53:17 AM »
I am a Canon fan, obviously since I have heavily invested in their gear ...

... but I definitely want to know if some of my equipment has known design flaws that should be fixed on warranty. I have had to send in two bodies for repair, and I had to return two other bodies for replacement because they did not function properly from new. The two repairs were for issues that were present when I purchased the cameras, and they were fixed on warranty, but I could have easily missed the warranty period.

Post everything you know!

+10

Please.
5D2 35L 85/1.8 135L 1.4xIIL  24-105L  1D2 T28-75/2.8 T70-300VC  300V 40/2.8  ST-E2 580exII 430exII   Takumar50/1.4 Fujinon50/1.6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2014, 09:53:17 AM »