October 23, 2014, 10:08:43 AM

Author Topic: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras  (Read 22357 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Re: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2014, 06:02:21 PM »
Strange that we suddenly have quite a few first time posters asking the documents to be published or claiming that they've had problems with their gear. :-\ :-X

Yup - issues like this enflames the masses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2014, 06:02:21 PM »

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »
Yes please post them.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

LookingThroughMyLens81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2014, 07:29:06 PM »
I'd post them and as an owner of several Canon L-series lenses and professional-grade DSLRs, I want them posted.

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »
If you didn't sign an NDA, I think you are ok publishing the information.
I'm sure we'd all love to see it. But CYA first!!

cellomaster27

• EOS M2
  • Capture the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2014, 07:46:39 PM »
kinda sounds like the person suing McDonalds for giving him one napkin.  One issue, which isn't a killer, out of billions served?   ::)  Canon is known quite well for their QC, at least in their higher end models.  I am doubting this issue.  Internal information?  Curious to see how this pans out.
100D, EOS M, EF-M 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM f3.5-5.6, EF 28mm f1.8 USM, EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM, EF 40mm f2.8 STM, EF 85mm f.18 USM, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430 EX II, kata 3n-1 22, triggers, lighting, stands, remotes, etc...

Chisox2335

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »
True or not, canon is provably already preparing legal documents.

How many lenses are sold a year? How many are defective? Unhappy people are always more vocal than happy people.

I would not recommend posting them without a second source verifying and even then it's probably not advisable.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »
<p>We’re not sure whether or not we’ll post the rest of the internal documents we have in our possession. If you think there’s value in us doing so, <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20341.0">please sound off in our forum</a>.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
[/html]

This is a little like the "friend" that has info about your wife's infidelity and is happy to tell you he has the info, but not sure he wants to actually tell you.

Get serious CR Guy, either you have the info, or you don't, you decide with advice from your legal counsel to share the info, or don't.

There's no question anyone that's ever owned a piece of Canon gear wouldn't want this info.

Basically it's called "piss or get off the pot", the whole basis of your starting a thread on this is demeaning, to you.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »

Roo

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2014, 08:29:08 PM »
Pfff talk about  a storm in a tea cup.  Every company issues service advisories for small issues that come up and similarly they make small changes to the parts used in products over time.  If CR guy has posted the most serious issues first then I don't see the need to post the rest.  1DX has an issue when operating outside of specs, a noisy focus ring - annoying but really does that affect the shot? If that's all it is then its a waste of time posting the rest just to incite the rabid masses.

If you have something more serious then post otherwise stick to canonrumors and don't become canonleaks.
5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2014, 08:30:04 PM »
Unfortunately,  some people can see things differently than others.  Its not clear cut as to the definition of a design flaw.  If a product does not work forever, is it because of a design flaw? 

If a product works for a period of time beyond the warranty, is it a design flaw?  We'd all like our items to work forever, but it does not happen.

Where we worked, a person who was not qualified and did not understand the technical issues started up a web site and was notifying newspapers of a big problem, and showed a stolen video of a test of the product bursting into flames.  We were, in fact, trying to test the design limits and see what it took to do just that.  We then modified the product so it could pass that test.  The person had left the company by then and did not have the complete picture, much less a understanding of what he saw.  The newspaper reporters asked what the issue was, and we brought them in and showed them everything, the failures and the fix.  Of course, the person involved then accused them of being bought off.  Some people are that way, so its best to investigate rather than spreading information that might be incomplete, or even biased.

Since CR is not a investigative agency, it might be best to turn it over to a newspaper or Attorney General, or both.  Since Canon USA is in New York, that state might be a place to start.  Same with Canada, start in Ontario.  Let them investigate or at least ask for a explanation first.

I'd be one who was very cautious about releasing stolen documents that can't be confirmed.  I'd suggest to the leaker that he submit them to someone else, maybe he has and the others found them to be unreliable?

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »
Release the info. All of it. Canon should not be charging for design flaws that fall under warranty.

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2014, 08:42:07 PM »
On the other hand, don't we have the right to know?  At this point, the credibility of the company is on the line.

sek

Unfortunately,  some people can see things differently than others.  Its not clear cut as to the definition of a design flaw.  If a product does not work forever, is it because of a design flaw? 

If a product works for a period of time beyond the warranty, is it a design flaw?  We'd all like our items to work forever, but it does not happen.

Where we worked, a person who was not qualified and did not understand the technical issues started up a web site and was notifying newspapers of a big problem, and showed a stolen video of a test of the product bursting into flames.  We were, in fact, trying to test the design limits and see what it took to do just that.  We then modified the product so it could pass that test.  The person had left the company by then and did not have the complete picture, much less a understanding of what he saw.  The newspaper reporters asked what the issue was, and we brought them in and showed them everything, the failures and the fix.  Of course, the person involved then accused them of being bought off.  Some people are that way, so its best to investigate rather than spreading information that might be incomplete, or even biased.

Since CR is not a investigative agency, it might be best to turn it over to a newspaper or Attorney General, or both.  Since Canon USA is in New York, that state might be a place to start.  Same with Canada, start in Ontario.  Let them investigate or at least ask for a explanation first.

I'd be one who was very cautious about releasing stolen documents that can't be confirmed.  I'd suggest to the leaker that he submit them to someone else, maybe he has and the others found them to be unreliable?
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2014, 08:58:05 PM »
Hi folks.
I have slightly reworded a famous quote.
All it takes for dishonest manufacturers to flourish is for good customers to remain silent!
I concur with a lot of what has been said, CR guy needs to know he / his website will survive any fall out from the action of making his public.
It is somewhat drumming up business if you don't intend to publish!
Any company worth it's salt will have ongoing development, but this is usually around saving an ounce here or a penny there, when ongoing development results in a strengthened or redesigned item to prevent failure rates above the accepted percentage, whatever that may be for that particular item, then charging customers to replace that item after it fails is dishonest at best.
The main thing to keep in mind is that almost every item has an acceptable failure rate and your item may be one of those, just because you find ten people complaining of a failure with an item doesn't make it a design fault, how many of that item are in the wild? 10, 100, 1000, 10000?
What is an acceptable failure rate in a mass produced item? It may be as high as ten percent thought 1 percent or less is generally considered acceptable (unless I'm holding the broken one ;D). I would want to know failure rates before jumping on the bandwagon.

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

Codzilla

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2014, 09:42:12 PM »
Of course you should post it. Why on earth would you consider otherwise?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2014, 09:42:12 PM »

pmc400

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2014, 11:57:43 PM »
Where's the  Class Action form for me to sign?  >:(

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2014, 12:12:02 AM »
Any reason why you would not tell us? I am a member of this forum under the impression that you tell us all you know.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2014, 12:12:02 AM »