August 28, 2014, 05:06:05 AM

Author Topic: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras  (Read 20881 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2014, 08:49:54 AM »
Strange that we suddenly have quite a few first time posters asking the documents to be published or claiming that they've had problems with their gear. :-\ :-X

I do not find an issue with that.
I find it highly suspicious.
Maybe it is, may be it is not.
I am not a first time poster and at the same time asked for more material. The reason is I have a 24-70 2.8 ii which did not belong to any of the problem' categories were referred in this forum (clicking, bubbles, front element coming in contact with the filter and coating issue). So I though I was lucky.

But i stumbled upon 3 Errors 01 (Communication between lens and camera). Since the lens was new and the camera didn't have issues with any other lens it was a 24-70 2.8 II lens problem. It didn't happen again but I will always be afraid that it might happen so in important shootings I will have to carry a backup lens of similar characteristics. Now I learn that my lens will possibly have issues with a problematic spring (if seems it is made before aug 2013).

So yes I do want to know about Canon issues.

LookingThroughMyLens81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2014, 09:05:50 AM »
Strange that we suddenly have quite a few first time posters asking the documents to be published or claiming that they've had problems with their gear. :-\ :-X

I've had several "lens communication" lock-ups with my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM over the past year since updating my 5D3 firmware and it just happens randomly, so I'm sure there's some sort of issue there. My older Canon cameras are rock-solid though.

Wdc623

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2014, 10:12:12 AM »
Without question they should be released

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2014, 10:20:02 AM »
I've had several "lens communication" lock-ups with my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM over the past year since updating my 5D3 firmware and it just happens randomly, so I'm sure there's some sort of issue there. My older Canon cameras are rock-solid though.

That was an early anomaly with the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM, mine worked perfectly on my 1V's, but occasionally locked up on my 1D, it stopped doing it after a while though and has worked perfectly on the 1Ds MkIII's their entire time with me.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

WillT

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Forge Mountain Photography
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
My guess is the 100-400mm is on there.  I have sent mine back several times and it is still crap.

Let us see the list or post it anonymously on pastebin 

aceplato

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »
Hmmm? CR Guy http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1 , this site is fun, I like it and when I started here I loved my Canon equipment like it was a baby, that has changed but this site hasn't. You are "Deep-Throat" now find your Woodward and Bernstein. You don’t want the ugly that will ensue!

I do want to know but not at the expense of this site and I deserve to know as I have been part of the “out of warranty and paid for the repairs” group but I worked it to the point of only paying about 1/3 of the total price for all that was performed on my camera. And that is why I now view the products I own as just tools and associate no emotional value to them anymore. It has changed how I shoot and at first not for the better but I am still evolving and hope to find a way to get the emotion back into my craft.

Perhaps it was my own naiveté before and I am now recovering from my ill-directed emotions for a “thing” but the passion used to show in my work, now I am just a technician. Canon is just another Big Company trying to improve their bottom line and the cyclical nature of technology has Canon in the position of producing some of the best imagery equipment now (again). And a Big Company will often make decisions solely on a bottom line but the idea they are making enough money on these repairs to make the future Karma-Swing acceptable is not true, the money spent on these repairs is but a blip on the spread sheet, it is nothing! When enough noise is made and warrants the bad press then they will accept guilt and action will be taken.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I did take the time and read nearly every other post before creating mine to avoid redundancy!
5d mkIII, 30d, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 580 EX, Tamron 28-75 f2.8

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »

I am not a first time poster and at the same time asked for more material. The reason is I have a 24-70 2.8 ii which did not belong to any of the problem' categories were referred in this forum (clicking, bubbles, front element coming in contact with the filter and coating issue). So I though I was lucky.

But i stumbled upon 3 Errors 01 (Communication between lens and camera). Since the lens was new and the camera didn't have issues with any other lens it was a 24-70 2.8 II lens problem. It didn't happen again but I will always be afraid that it might happen so in important shootings I will have to carry a backup lens of similar characteristics. Now I learn that my lens will possibly have issues with a problematic spring (if seems it is made before aug 2013).

Tron, I am well aware that you are not first time poster, I did learn a little math in school ;D ... but seriously, I always find it suspicious when many first time posters show up only to complain, without providing any specifics about the problems they've faced with their Canon gear and how Canon handled it ... which to me is highly suspicious. The 2 threads that have started so far on this topic directly or indirectly state that Canon has design flaws and they charge the customers to fix those issues ... this suggests that Canon is desperate for measly amounts, which I find very hard to believe. Seriously, how many lenses go back to Canon for repairs? how much do they charge the customer for it? ... OK forget that, lets take a count on how many CR members sent back their lenses and/or cameras for repairs that were design flaws and got charged for it? I have NEVER had any Canon lens or Camera go for repair (except for when I dropped a lens). If anyone has got proof, let them come out with it and provide specifics. There are so many long time members here and I'd like to know how many of them have complaints about Canon charging them for fixing design flaws.
Yes, I too would like to know if there are any issues but it must be backed with proof ... but so far I do not see these first time posters coming up with any specifics and/or proof ... all we've got so far are mere speculations and claims from them.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:39:17 PM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

traingineer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »
Does anyone have a feeling that these first time posters are a bit, skeptical?
7D | 24-70mm F2.8 I | 50mm F1.8 II | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS

aceplato

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2014, 03:39:59 PM »

Tron, I am well aware that you are not first time poster, I did learn a little math in school ;D ... but seriously, I always find it suspicious when many first time posters show up only to complain, without providing any specifics about the problems they've faced with their Canon gear and how Canon handled it ... which to me is highly suspicious. The 2 threads that have started so far on this topic directly or indirectly state that Canon has design flaws and they charge the customers to fix those issues ... this suggests that Canon is desperate for measly amounts, which I find very hard to believe. Seriously, how many lenses go back to Canon for repairs? how much do they charge the customer for it? ... OK forget that, lets take a count on how many CR members sent back their lenses and/or cameras for repairs that were design flaws and got charged for it? I have NEVER had any Canon lens or Camera go for repair (except for when I dropped a lens). If anyone has got proof, let them come out with it and provide specifics. There are so many long time members here and I'd like to know how many of them have complaints about Canon charging them for fixing design flaws.
Yes, I too would like to know if there are any issues but it must be backed with proof ... but so far I do not see these first time posters coming up with any specifics and/or proof ... all we've got so far are mere speculations and claims from them.

So yes I am relatively new, low posts, I may be a program in the system attempting to sway the conversation!

To quote, "If you think there’s value in us doing so, please sound off in our forum." and I applaud anyone who can get new posters to come out of the woodwork and join in on a conversation!

My story in a nutshell: 5D Mk III err 20, 1 and 20 and misbehaves (lens communication error) with several lenses at 1.4 years old and with less than 50k actuations. In for non-warranty repair and the verdict is it needs a new shutter assembly and mirror box. While in there they also replace the focusing sensor and charged me 1/3 original quote. I am CSP, I do not change my lenses between every shot at the beach or while in a dust storm in a desert.

No proof but very curious and disappointing as to how a new-ish camera can die so quickly.
5d mkIII, 30d, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 580 EX, Tamron 28-75 f2.8

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2014, 11:06:41 PM »
So yes I am relatively new, low posts, I may be a program in the system attempting to sway the conversation!

To quote, "If you think there’s value in us doing so, please sound off in our forum." and I applaud anyone who can get new posters to come out of the woodwork and join in on a conversation!

My story in a nutshell: 5D Mk III err 20, 1 and 20 and misbehaves (lens communication error) with several lenses at 1.4 years old and with less than 50k actuations. In for non-warranty repair and the verdict is it needs a new shutter assembly and mirror box. While in there they also replace the focusing sensor and charged me 1/3 original quote. I am CSP, I do not change my lenses between every shot at the beach or while in a dust storm in a desert.

No proof but very curious and disappointing as to how a new-ish camera can die so quickly.
Sorry to hear about your 5D MK III, that sucks to have a relatively new and expensive camera die like that ... we need more people like you who can come up with what happened to their gear, that will provide the required info for CR to check if it tallies with the info they've got.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Beckscum

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2014, 04:31:24 AM »
I hate my Canon 70-200 F4L IS, it's focus slip issue is clearly a design fault/quality control problem, but Canon HK, Japan denied the issue and try to charge me US$200 out of warranty. I did not drop the lens at all, only 18 months old with normal usage.

Canon 70-200 f4 IS - slipping autofocus problem

I have posted my compliant earlier
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20050.msg380205#msg380205, looking for more technical data to deal with Canon, please release these information to customer, act in the best interests of consumer.

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2014, 09:23:01 AM »
As a 1Dx owner who has had 4 bodies from a Canon all displaying the same dirty sensor fault I'd be very keen to read anything that might expose any issues Canon are keeping to themselves. My first 1Dx went back to Japan to have the issue looked st and I've not heard of any feedback although Canon UK said they would let me know. There's been loads of threads on the 1Dx lubricant/dirty sensor issue.

Also I've noticed my knew 70-200 F2.8 IS ii seems to be sticking on focus now and again. Basically it locks in something then won't shift after it. Trigger just won't respond, invariably it's a switch off and on job. I'm not certain if this is a lens issue or a body issue. Seems to only happen with that lens so I'm guessing lens.

Please publish any info.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

Expat

« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »
The "noisy" lens post is highly suspicious. The image of the alleged spring causing the problem doesn't look like typical Canon work and there is no visual reference of where such a spring would go. Secondly the idea that such a protruding metal part would cause noise yet no physical penalty in lens operation is preposterous. I contacted Canon.
Canon's reply:
"Thank you for contacting Canon product support concerning your EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens, and noisy focusing ring question.

I have had no calls or emails in regard to your question.  You may click HERE to view the lens' dedicated page.  Once on the page, on the top right, you can click on the PRODUCT ADVISORY SECTION.  I just did, and verified that this lens has no posted advisories.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your questions. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

James
Technical Support Representative"
I say trolls be GONE!

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2014, 11:13:03 AM »
The "noisy" lens post is highly suspicious. The image of the alleged spring causing the problem doesn't look like typical Canon work and there is no visual reference of where such a spring would go. Secondly the idea that such a protruding metal part would cause noise yet no physical penalty in lens operation is preposterous. I contacted Canon.
Canon's reply:
"Thank you for contacting Canon product support concerning your EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens, and noisy focusing ring question.

I have had no calls or emails in regard to your question.  You may click HERE to view the lens' dedicated page.  Once on the page, on the top right, you can click on the PRODUCT ADVISORY SECTION.  I just did, and verified that this lens has no posted advisories.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your questions. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

James
Technical Support Representative"
I say trolls be GONE!
So there is no clicking during zooming too?
There is no coating damage in at least 2 CR members?
There is no contact with some filters (at least some noname/cheap ones) as Roger Cicala posted in LensRentals?
There are no bubbles as at least 1 member reported?

Finally I have never seen 3 Communication errors with my latest firmware 5D3 which by the way it was the first time and the only lens where this has happened during the first week of usage?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:14:55 AM by tron »

Expat

« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2014, 12:07:53 PM »
I am deeply sympathetic to anyone who has bad experiences with their camera gear. I believe manufacturers should immediately own up to such problems and compensate users. Manufacturers who behave in a manner suggested here are guilty of fraud among other things and that can cost in the hundreds of millions to resolve. Over one little spring? The essence of the complaints in this stream of posts is based upon hearsay. So where is the evidence? Where is even a schematic that will show how the alleged bad spring will cause or have caused the issues mentioned? How is the fact of cheap filters grinding a lens front element any verification of a bad spring component? The 24-70/2.8 II is internal focusing and when it zooms the front element doesn't move with respects to the filter attached. Besides, Cicala never said the front element damage via cheap filter issue was the result of an internal lens design defect. Please at least connect dots on a plane that really does exist.