September 20, 2014, 08:00:27 AM

Author Topic: 12MP FF, 4k Video, What us video people have always wanted (it seems)  (Read 6508 times)

CarlMillerPhoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Sony A7s. Confirmed 12mp Full Frame sensor and 4k video means 1:1 pixel use (no artifact/binning issues, more accurate color, etc.). Low light should be damn impressive too. Full announcement coming this Sunday (4/6) at NAB.

And unlike the GH4, a metabones adapter already exists that allows aperture control and IS for EF glass on E mount bodies.

I hope Canon is paying attention, beyond discounting the 1D-C.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:26:00 PM by CarlMillerPhoto »
My photography equipment goes here, apparently.

canon rumors FORUM

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 12MP FF, 4k Video, What us video people have always wanted (it seems)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »
12 mp? Foveon or Bayer sensor? It's hard to believe that Sony, which got good reputation because of its high MP sensors, would go back to 12 mp camera  :o

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 02:51:46 AM »
12 mp? Foveon or Bayer sensor? It's hard to believe that Sony, which got good reputation because of its high MP sensors, would go back to 12 mp camera  :o

I don't think they're going back, but rather in a parallel direction. This camera seems to be based on the opposite concept of the a7r and is targeted at a different market.

MintChocs

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 04:26:02 AM »
Does this mean we can now shoot at ridiculously high ISOs and throw away the tripod?

Lightmaster

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 07:36:50 AM »
Sony A7s. Confirmed 12mp Full Frame sensor and 4k video means 1:1 pixel use (no artifact/binning issues, more accurate color, etc.). Low light should be damn impressive too. Full announcement coming this Sunday (4/6) at NAB.

And unlike the GH4, a metabones adapter already exists that allows aperture control and IS for EF glass on E mount bodies.

I hope Canon is paying attention, beyond discounting the 1D-C.

source?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:39:04 AM by Lightmaster »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 08:20:34 AM »
In another thread on this website, there is a lot of posters from this website that are (or at least were!) absolutely certain that 4K wouldn't take off this year and that Canon wouldn't need to include it in their cameras this year. Seems to me that everyone else thinks that now is the right time to be delivering 4K capability.

If the 7D mark II arrives this year without 4K, Canon will be at the station looking at the caboose as it disappears into the distance...

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »
The rumors say that 7D mark ii should be a "mini 1Dx" for shooting fast action with lower cost. In this sense, a 12 megapixel sensor (with updated technology) would be perfect for shooting in dark places, and make 4K video too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »
In another thread on this website, there is a lot of posters from this website that are (or at least were!) absolutely certain that 4K wouldn't take off this year and that Canon wouldn't need to include it in their cameras this year. Seems to me that everyone else thinks that now is the right time to be delivering 4K capability.

If the 7D mark II arrives this year without 4K, Canon will be at the station looking at the caboose as it disappears into the distance...

Apparently 'everyone else' thought it was time for higher MP sensors last year.  'Everyone else' still seems to be sitting in the caboose of the Market Share Express, a train with a big Canon logo on the engine in front.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »

Apparently 'everyone else' thought it was time for higher MP sensors last year.  'Everyone else' still seems to be sitting in the caboose of the Market Share Express, a train with a big Canon logo on the engine in front.

Ok, nice of you to bring up an related topic, please file that somewhere appropriately.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 09:55:05 AM »

That really made me smile... and brings up a mental image of Mr. Canon and Mr. Nikon at the train station filming the departing train in 1080 at 30hz, while on the train, the lovely ladies Miss Sony, Miss Panasonic, Miss GoPro, Miss Red, and a host of others are waving goodbye :)

I think I'll go take my GoPro and shoot some 4K video, and when I'm done I'll grab my p/s and try to capture some blue jays in flight at 240hz....
The best camera is the one in your hands

weixing

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
Hi,

That really made me smile... and brings up a mental image of Mr. Canon and Mr. Nikon at the train station filming the departing train in 1080 at 30hz, while on the train, the lovely ladies Miss Sony, Miss Panasonic, Miss GoPro, Miss Red, and a host of others are waving goodbye :)

I think I'll go take my GoPro and shoot some 4K video, and when I'm done I'll grab my p/s and try to capture some blue jays in flight at 240hz....
    Then they realized they left all the consumers at the station...  ;D

Have a nice weekend!

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 10:25:50 AM »
Hi,

Have a nice weekend!
But then again, sometimes missing the train is a good thing :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 10:56:18 AM »
Hi,
    Have a nice weekend!
Well said. Some manufacturers have lost the train of the financial loss. Anyone remember these trains?

HD-DVD (murdered by BluRay);
Card MEMORY STICK;
D-VHS (believe me, once existed VHS video cassette digital full-hd);
XQD card (was born dead);
Windows Vista (not even the mother of Bill Gates liked this thing).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:58:50 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 10:56:18 AM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 02:44:34 PM »
Hi,
    Have a nice weekend!
Well said. Some manufacturers have lost the train of the financial loss. Anyone remember these trains?

If there was no future in 4K video then why does Canon manufacture Cinema EOS cameras that shoot 4K video?
Is Canon throwing away money on Cinema EOS to make 4K cameras that nobody wants?

The smart people who are creating video are already investing in equipment capable of shooting 4K so that they can remaster content they produce in 1080p today in 4K later and resell it. That set of people are not buying Canon and it doesn't look like they will for quite some time - unless Canon surprises us at NAB.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »
Hi,
    Then they realized they left all the consumers at the station...  ;D  Have a nice weekend!
If there was no future in 4K video then why does Canon manufacture Cinema EOS cameras that shoot 4K video?
Is Canon throwing away money on Cinema EOS to make 4K cameras that nobody wants?
The smart people who are creating video are already investing in equipment capable of shooting 4K so that they can remaster content they produce in 1080p today in 4K later and resell it. That set of people are not buying Canon and it doesn't look like they will for quite some time - unless Canon surprises us at NAB.
I did not say that 4K is a lost train, but nothing indicates that it will be the hegemonic pattern to the end consumer. Perhaps in 2025 there are reliable and affordable media to replace BluRay. The irony is that even the Bluray did not become hegemonic one, and a "surrogate" is now required. The Cinema EOS line, as the name implies, is designed for producers of CINEMA, and the movies in the next decade will still pass down convert to "fit" on BluRay discs.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:47:38 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »