September 24, 2014, 12:30:25 AM

Author Topic: 12MP FF, 4k Video, What us video people have always wanted (it seems)  (Read 6529 times)

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: 12MP FF, 4k Video, What us video people have always wanted (it seems)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »
I did not say that 4K is a lost train, but nothing indicates that it will be the hegemonic pattern to the end consumer. Perhaps in 2025 there are reliable and affordable media to replace BluRay.

I didn't feel thats much of an factor - you can always downsample to FullHD if media constraints require it - but how much longer the medium will be a major factor?
OTOH increased production cost might be a something to consider -whole production, with the part from sensor to end user being more of a side note-, thats unless one wants the higher res just to reveal previously glossed over and hidden flaws.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »
The amount of details you can extract of the chroma key backgrounds is incrredible at 4k resolution.

Jokes apart, I second the idea that 4k makes sense for professional videographers either for ultra high def or post production to FHD. However, for consumers, I still doubt that theere is more than bragging rights attachsed tu 4k.
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 08:58:49 PM »
The amount of details you can extract of the chroma key backgrounds is incrredible at 4k resolution.

Jokes apart, I second the idea that 4k makes sense for professional videographers either for ultra high def or post production to FHD. However, for consumers, I still doubt that theere is more than bragging rights attachsed tu 4k.

What if you already own a 4K TV, why wouldn't you want to be able to film home stuff in 4K?

Does Sony sell a 4K TV? Yes
Similarly for Panasonic, they make a 4K TV so they're also selling cameras capable of producing 4K.

Longexposure

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 10:02:14 AM »
Hope the "S" stands for stabilised :)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" -Dorothea Lange
Alex, 15 y/o - X100S, 70D, 15-85, 70-300L, 30 ART, 8 fish, benro tripod, 430 ex v1
500px - http://500px.com/alexvd

weixing

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
Hi,

What if you already own a 4K TV, why wouldn't you want to be able to film home stuff in 4K?

Similarly for Panasonic, they make a 4K TV so they're also selling cameras capable of producing 4K.
   4K TV is still very expensive at the moment... Hmm... May be we can do a poll to check how many members in CR had a 4K TV, how many intend to get a 4K TV in one year time and what's the maximum $$$ you willing to paid for a TV??

Have a nice day.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 01:01:40 PM »
I'll get one if the "s" has similar AF system as A6000.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 01:14:13 PM »

I understand that companies will try to push products ecosystems, but from a practical standpoint, I don't see the benefit of a 4k video of your 5yo's birthday party or of your aunt gardening. I just feel like you need some pretty controlled condition to allow for 4k to produce significant additional details at the shutter speeds allowed in video. If you add the time and computer resources required to edit those videos, it makes even less sense to me.

As a professional tool, 4k surely has a place. As a consumer product, may be not as sensible a product. Nevertheless, consumers are not often acclaimed for their ability to make sensible decisions... there should be plenty of buyers.

However, i'll be honest and confess that is just my opinion and I'm not a video guru.

What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 01:14:13 PM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »

I understand that companies will try to push products ecosystems, but from a practical standpoint, I don't see the benefit of a 4k video of your 5yo's birthday party or of your aunt gardening. I just feel like you need some pretty controlled condition to allow for 4k to produce significant additional details at the shutter speeds allowed in video. If you add the time and computer resources required to edit those videos, it makes even less sense to me.

When the 5 year old turns 21 in 16 years time, what would you rather have?
4k video or 1080p video of the birthday?

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 03:18:22 PM »

If 4k garanteed him a happier b'day, 4k for sure! However, as I said before, I mostly think in the conditions most home videos are filmed, 4k will emphasis oof and motion blur from the shooter (or subject). Personally, I already find making a good home video hard with a dslr at HD res, so I surely am not ready for 4k. But hey, that is just me! 4k lovers, be my guest. That is just my opinion, I don't want to enforce it on anyone, but I feel it makes sense.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 06:20:39 PM »
12MP sensor with full frame (35mm) readout for 4K video, claimed to be a first, along with even better dynamic range than with the existing full frame sensors.

With ISO from 50 to 409600 and pixels that are going to be much larger than those in the 6D or 5DIII, I can't help but wonder if this new Sony camera will wipe the floor with Canon when it comes to both low noise at high ISO and dynamic range. AF at EV-4?! I'm not sure I can believe that. I mean not only would it be able to take photos of black cats in coal mines but also autofocus on them!

Can't wait to see what the results are for the individual tests at DxO!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:23:04 PM by dilbert »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 07:12:59 PM »

+1

And in body 6-axis 4-stops IS.
And they can cut out the video cr*p on my copy. :-)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »

+1

And in body 6-axis 4-stops IS.
And they can cut out the video cr*p on my copy. :-)

No A6000 AF system. However, be able shoot at high ISO got me interested ::)

I was hoping to see some UWA...dam it >:(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:19:58 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
Hope the "S" stands for stabilised :)

It evidently stands for "sensitivity" (honest - you can read all the details at sonyalpharumors), so please don't say mean things about it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »

If that's the sort of thing you're going to film with this camera, you should note that, according to sonyalpharumors: "The only bad news is that it doesn’t record 4K on SD card. You will have to use an external recorder."  How many people are interested in doing that?  (It's not an issue for me as I never shoot videos, unless I hit the wrong button by mistake!)   

The low light possibilities sound intriguing, though - so far there are precisely two Sony FE lenses that I want (and own), so I guess they could have a body each.  Sony's body:lens ratio seems a tad off....

PVS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »
SonyIAMDISSAPOINT.gif

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »