December 04, 2016, 01:18:05 AM

Author Topic: 12MP FF, 4k Video, What us video people have always wanted (it seems)  (Read 16204 times)

weixing

• Canon 7D MK II
Re: 12MP FF, 4k Video, What us video people have always wanted (it seems)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
Hi,
The amount of details you can extract of the chroma key backgrounds is incrredible at 4k resolution.

Jokes apart, I second the idea that 4k makes sense for professional videographers either for ultra high def or post production to FHD. However, for consumers, I still doubt that theere is more than bragging rights attachsed tu 4k.

What if you already own a 4K TV, why wouldn't you want to be able to film home stuff in 4K?

Does Sony sell a 4K TV? Yes
Similarly for Panasonic, they make a 4K TV so they're also selling cameras capable of producing 4K.
   4K TV is still very expensive at the moment... Hmm... May be we can do a poll to check how many members in CR had a 4K TV, how many intend to get a 4K TV in one year time and what's the maximum $$$ you willing to paid for a TV??

Have a nice day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 01:01:40 PM »
I'll get one if the "s" has similar AF system as A6000.
ML: A7R II & A7s -- FE35f1.4 -- FE35f2.8 -- FE55 -- FE85GM -- FE2470GM -- FE70200GM
DSLR: 1Dx + 200L f2 IS  -- sadly replaced this combo with a7s + 70200GM

IMG_0001

• Canon 6D
  • Amateur photon abductor
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 01:14:13 PM »
The amount of details you can extract of the chroma key backgrounds is incrredible at 4k resolution.

Jokes apart, I second the idea that 4k makes sense for professional videographers either for ultra high def or post production to FHD. However, for consumers, I still doubt that theere is more than bragging rights attachsed tu 4k.

What if you already own a 4K TV, why wouldn't you want to be able to film home stuff in 4K?

Similarly for Panasonic, they make a 4K TV so they're also selling cameras capable of producing 4K.

I understand that companies will try to push products ecosystems, but from a practical standpoint, I don't see the benefit of a 4k video of your 5yo's birthday party or of your aunt gardening. I just feel like you need some pretty controlled condition to allow for 4k to produce significant additional details at the shutter speeds allowed in video. If you add the time and computer resources required to edit those videos, it makes even less sense to me.

As a professional tool, 4k surely has a place. As a consumer product, may be not as sensible a product. Nevertheless, consumers are not often acclaimed for their ability to make sensible decisions... there should be plenty of buyers.

However, i'll be honest and confess that is just my opinion and I'm not a video guru.

What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

IMG_0001

• Canon 6D
  • Amateur photon abductor
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 03:18:22 PM »

I understand that companies will try to push products ecosystems, but from a practical standpoint, I don't see the benefit of a 4k video of your 5yo's birthday party or of your aunt gardening. I just feel like you need some pretty controlled condition to allow for 4k to produce significant additional details at the shutter speeds allowed in video. If you add the time and computer resources required to edit those videos, it makes even less sense to me.

When the 5 year old turns 21 in 16 years time, what would you rather have?
4k video or 1080p video of the birthday?

If 4k garanteed him a happier b'day, 4k for sure! However, as I said before, I mostly think in the conditions most home videos are filmed, 4k will emphasis oof and motion blur from the shooter (or subject). Personally, I already find making a good home video hard with a dslr at HD res, so I surely am not ready for 4k. But hey, that is just me! 4k lovers, be my guest. That is just my opinion, I don't want to enforce it on anyone, but I feel it makes sense.
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

AvTvM

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 07:12:59 PM »

+1

And in body 6-axis 4-stops IS.
And they can cut out the video cr*p on my copy. :-)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »

+1

And in body 6-axis 4-stops IS.
And they can cut out the video cr*p on my copy. :-)

No A6000 AF system. However, be able shoot at high ISO got me interested ::)

I was hoping to see some UWA...dam it >:(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:19:58 PM by Dylan777 »
ML: A7R II & A7s -- FE35f1.4 -- FE35f2.8 -- FE55 -- FE85GM -- FE2470GM -- FE70200GM
DSLR: 1Dx + 200L f2 IS  -- sadly replaced this combo with a7s + 70200GM

sdsr

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
Hope the "S" stands for stabilised :)

It evidently stands for "sensitivity" (honest - you can read all the details at ++++++++rumors), so please don't say mean things about it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »

sdsr

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »

When the 5 year old turns 21 in 16 years time, what would you rather have?
4k video or 1080p video of the birthday?

If that's the sort of thing you're going to film with this camera, you should note that, according to ++++++++rumors: "The only bad news is that it doesn’t record 4K on SD card. You will have to use an external recorder."  How many people are interested in doing that?  (It's not an issue for me as I never shoot videos, unless I hit the wrong button by mistake!)   

The low light possibilities sound intriguing, though - so far there are precisely two Sony FE lenses that I want (and own), so I guess they could have a body each.  Sony's body:lens ratio seems a tad off....

PVS

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »
SonyIAMDISSAPOINT.gif

Halfrack

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 09:31:33 PM »
While I want to play with 4k for a few specific items, it's not going to drive the industry - unless you've got better than 20/20 vision and a lot of money to spend.  Intel may want you to upgrade to 4k, but Comcast may not want it.  There are times when you want to pull frames from video, or are going to stabilize the shot in post-production based on cropping down to 1080p, but 4k doesn't belong in our P&S world. 

Oh, and it won't matter how you capture a 5 year olds birthday today, their life is recorded in 720p from an iPhone or such.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
While I want to play with 4k for a few specific items, it's not going to drive the industry - unless you've got better than 20/20 vision and a lot of money to spend.  Intel may want you to upgrade to 4k, but Comcast may not want it.  There are times when you want to pull frames from video, or are going to stabilize the shot in post-production based on cropping down to 1080p, but 4k doesn't belong in our P&S world. 
Oh, and it won't matter how you capture a 5 year olds birthday today, their life is recorded in 720p from an iPhone or such.
Agree. Who wants to 4K with high quality today, can buy Canon C500 and cine lenses. 8) Costs too much? No, not a bit expensive for the intended purpose of Cinema equipment. ::) Want it cheaper? Someday We'll have these cell phone that does 4k video (compressed FU_KING bad). :-X I could use photography with over 22 megapixel in some work. ??? So just buy Nokia Lumia 1020, and will have better images that 5D Mark iii. :P Hey, we can already do 4K video with Go Pro. ;) No kidding: I have no interest in 4K with compression FU_KING bad, and I prefer 1080P with fine compression.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:16:06 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

Lawliet

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 11:46:28 PM »
"The only bad news is that it doesn’t record 4K on SD card. You will have to use an external recorder."  How many people are interested in doing that? 

People with the skill&ambition to make good use of HD/4k do it anyway. Or: on the fly compression of a 4k stream to SD card-friendly data rates leaves you with the same quality as common (&commonly to highly compressed) fHD, but at much larger handling costs.

Separate versions for 50/60Hz...ouch. While it prevents grid flicker, not that I'd know anyone who'd still use susceptible lights w/o genlock, it also keeps me from delivering video in the requested format half of the time.

mkabi

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 12:06:37 AM »

4K TV is still very expensive at the moment... Hmm... May be we can do a poll to check how many members in CR had a 4K TV, how many intend to get a 4K TV in one year time and what's the maximum $$$ you willing to paid for a TV??

Have a nice day.

See how most people seem to be jumping around this question.
Anyway, let me be the first, I just got my 60 inch FHD TV a few years ago (2-3 years ago to be precise)... so no upgrades for another decade at least. At which point, I hope the first 8K TVs will be showing up.
Come on now, don't be a spoil sport, how many of you guys own a 4K TV? How many are going to be buy one in the next year or two?

Also... how many of the Pro-4K peeps are going to actually buy the Sony a7s?
Or are they going to keep badgering Canon to make a camera similar to the Gh4 and/or a7s?
At this point, even if Canon released something tomorrow with 4K, I don't think the same people that are badgering right now, will buy into it... they will find some fault in it and complain some more....
In fact, I don't think they can afford a new camera right now..... they just want something to complain about.
Sold my Canon DSLRs waiting on my RED Raven preorder. EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 100mm L f/2.8 Macro, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 12:06:37 AM »

Lawliet

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 10:33:12 AM »
Come on now, don't be a spoil sport, how many of you guys own a 4K TV? How many are going to be buy one in the next year or two?
Considering the availability of 8k sets I wouldn't buy another 4k without a very good reason...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
If Canon released the 7D Mark II tomorrow with 4K video, I'd jump for joy but the problem is we all know they won't.

Explain again why they should?  Because they're scared that the Sony a7S and Panasonic GH4 will outsell the 7DII when it's finally released?   ::) ::) ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »