December 17, 2014, 05:04:54 PM

Author Topic: Should I buy 6d or 5MkIII?  (Read 1747 times)

MrVeda

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Should I buy 6d or 5MkIII?
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »
I am a real estate broker looking to upgrade from Nikon to Canon to take better pics of large homes and wide angle shots of interior rooms.

Will the 6D take as good pics using the same ultra wide angle lens as the 5Mk3 would?

I understand the 5Mk3 is a much better more sophisticated camera but if the results are the same for stills, I much prefer the smaller lighter body (and lower price!). The pics are used mostly online for virtual Tours and marketing.

Thanks for any advice

canon rumors FORUM

Should I buy 6d or 5MkIII?
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy 6d or 5MkIII?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »
6D is the right camera for your purpose. Invest in L-quality glass for wide angle.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
I am a real estate broker looking to upgrade from Nikon to Canon to take better pics of large homes and wide angle shots of interior rooms.

Will the 6D take as good pics using the same ultra wide angle lens as the 5Mk3 would?

I understand the 5Mk3 is a much better more sophisticated camera but if the results are the same for stills, I much prefer the smaller lighter body (and lower price!). The pics are used mostly online for virtual Tours and marketing.

Thanks for any advice

Is it for Video?

That's where Canon is much better.  There are complaints about the 6D for video.  You do realize there is no autofocus during a video.  Only the 70D has reasonable autofocus during video.  Otherwise, its going to be a lot of work, and a lot of focusing aids like external monitors, focus pullers, magnifiers, etc.  You take a scene, then turn the camera to another, setup your focus and take another.  Continupous video that is sharp, or zooming during he video is not going to come out well.

Get a 70D for video, there are wide lenses for it.

If you don't need video, there is no advantage over Nikon.

MrVeda

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses. I had not considered Video but you are absolutely right - I should be moving in that direction. I should have mentioned I am coming from an older 3200 Nikon with Cropped Wide Angle limitations and was hoping the full frame would give me more professional looking pics.

My aim was to invest in a new body and also the Canon Ultra Wide L series lens

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »
get the 6D and use the savings to buy a nice tilt shift
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 02:49:18 AM »

Thanks for any advice

How about instead, hiring a local pro photographer to do your shots?  We need the work...

mycanonphotos

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 03:00:07 AM »
Yeah, 6D will be perfect for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 03:00:07 AM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:48:47 PM »

Thanks for any advice

6D... no doubt about it.  The house isn't going to be moving... unless maybe it is a mobile home... but you'd probably just use a camera phone to sell one of those.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »
+1 on that!

The tilt/shift lens will have more impact on your photos that going from a 6D to a 5D3 will.... and don't forget to shoot in RAW and get some decent editing software.
The best camera is the one in your hands

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »
+1 on that!

The tilt/shift lens will have more impact on your photos that going from a 6D to a 5D3 will.... and don't forget to shoot in RAW and get some decent editing software.

I wish I understood the draw of a tilt shift.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 09:39:55 PM »
+1 on that!

On a normal lens, the plane of focus is parallel to the sensor, but when you tilt/shift the lens, you shift the plane of focus. Say you are photographing a tall building from near the base... when you take a picture, the middle of the building is in focus but the top and the bottom are not. Also, the sides of the building are not straight. With the tilt/zoom you can change the plane of focus to be more inline with the building and more of it will be in focus.... and the sides will be straighter.

The effect is not as pronounced as with a 4x5 camera and the tilt/swivel lens plane coupled by bellows to the tilt/swivel film plane, but it does allow some interesting manipulations of the image. The convergence of lines can be played with and corrected in lightroom or photoshop, but not the plane of focus.

I'm far more familiar with the 4x5 than the Canon tilt/shift lenses, having only played with them at a show. I hope someone with real experience with them pipes up :)

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 09:44:29 PM »
+1 on that!

On a normal lens, the plane of focus is parallel to the sensor, but when you tilt/shift the lens, you shift the plane of focus. Say you are photographing a tall building from near the base... when you take a picture, the middle of the building is in focus but the top and the bottom are not. Also, the sides of the building are not straight. With the tilt/zoom you can change the plane of focus to be more inline with the building and more of it will be in focus.... and the sides will be straighter.

The effect is not as pronounced as with a 4x5 camera and the tilt/swivel lens plane coupled by bellows to the tilt/swivel film plane, but it does allow some interesting manipulations of the image. The convergence of lines can be played with and corrected in lightroom or photoshop, but not the plane of focus.

I'm far more familiar with the 4x5 than the Canon tilt/shift lenses, having only played with them at a show. I hope someone with real experience with them pipes up :)

I understand tilt shifts... I don't understand... or should I say... I don't share the interest/draw that people have for it. 

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »
A tilt shift is not good advice for the OP.

The 6D and 17-40, a Manfrotto 055 with a 410 geared head plus three flashes, I'd suggest YN-560 III's and a 603 II trigger, couple of stands and a Justin clamp. Oh, and this eBook http://photographyforrealestate.net/lighting/

For the vast majority of real estate shooting size and absolute IQ is not a factor, MLS limits are often very small and 1024 px images are normal, any advantage a tilt shift can give could be done in post to these sizes and larger. The only time a tilt shift is a good buy is if the clients are demanding higher quality for posters and architectural images, magazines, things like that.

At this point in time the majority of my income is from real estate photography, specifically for developers, they demand high IQ as they output in print and posters etc as well as websites. I use the 17 TS-E, mostly for interiors, but don't require the movements that much, exteriors normally need a longer focal length.

As for shift use, well as Don says, in real estate it is mainly used for keeping walls straight when shooting taller lines, it doesn't actually change the plane of focus any, that is always parallel to the plane of the sensor until you use tilt, but tilt has very limited use in real estate work, much more in architectural imaging. I use shift to get less ceiling and more floor space in the image whilst keeping the optimal viewing height, but you can fake that with a wider lens and crop. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
I understand tilt shifts... I don't understand... or should I say... I don't share the interest/draw that people have for it.

To have architecture shots that don't look like laws of physics are turned off?

If you only do rural stuff then there is no point but for cityscapes of skyscraper, with little ability to shoot from (very) far or to fly (or find a vantage point) then TSE is the key...

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 10:15:15 PM »
A tilt shift is not good advice for the OP.

The 6D and 17-40, a Manfrotto 055 with a 410 geared head plus three flashes, I'd suggest YN-560 III's and a 603 II trigger, couple of stands and a Justin clamp. Oh, and this eBook http://photographyforrealestate.net/lighting/

For the vast majority of real estate shooting size and absolute IQ is not a factor, MLS limits are often very small and 1024 px images are normal, any advantage a tilt shift can give could be done in post to these sizes and larger. The only time a tilt shift is a good buy is if the clients are demanding higher quality for posters and architectural images, magazines, things like that.

At this point in time the majority of my income is from real estate photography, specifically for developers, they demand high IQ as they output in print and posters etc as well as websites. I use the 17 TS-E, mostly for interiors, but don't require the movements that much, exteriors normally need a longer focal length.

As for shift use, well as Don says, in real estate it is mainly used for keeping walls straight when shooting taller lines, it doesn't actually change the plane of focus any, that is always parallel to the plane of the sensor until you use tilt, but tilt has very limited use in real estate work, much more in architectural imaging. I use shift to get less ceiling and more floor space in the image whilst keeping the optimal viewing height, but you can fake that with a wider lens and crop.
Great to hear from someone who is using the gear for the intended purpose....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 10:15:15 PM »