September 22, 2014, 08:30:51 PM

Author Topic: 5DM2 Purchase From Canada (Henrys) to USA  (Read 3596 times)

brando72

5DM2 Purchase From Canada (Henrys) to USA
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »
Hi all.

I'm a US citizen and noticed Henry's Camera has 5dM2 for a great price. I sent them an email and received this response: (they were NOT in stock at the time)

"Payment for items being shipped to the United States is by PayPal only.  The charge of $2012.95 is in Canadian Funds and will be exchanged into US funds at time of shipment.  We will not set US Funds exchange until then as the exchange rate varies on a daily basis."

Theoretically, if the camera was shipped today, the exchange rate would be: (2012.95 would convert to $1973.87 US Dollars)

I then sent them an email and requested if any other fees would be charges as I'm just trying to find out EXACTLY how much I will be charged.

They responded: "We have the camera in stock as of the writing of this email.  If you ordered today it should theoretically ship tomorrow.
There may be brokerage fees associated with your purchase, but they are set by the USPS."

I do not know what "Brokerage fees" are and sent an email requesting explanation but have not heard back. I then did some research via Google on the term "brokerage fee"  and found this:
"FORMS & FEES:
NOTE on Brokerage Fees (there are none): Because USPS & CanadaPost have long standing agreements to handle each other's mail, brokers' fees are NEVER charged. EXPENSIVE BROKERS FEES MUST be CHARGED BY MOST OTHER COURIER/SHIPPING SERVICES. BUT NOT USPS or CANADA POST! :-)"

Could anyone tell me if Henry's is a reliable source and what the final charge would be for a 5dm2 purchase? Also, don't understand brokerage fees and i'm a bit skeptical at this point.

Thank you.

canon rumors FORUM

5DM2 Purchase From Canada (Henrys) to USA
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: 5DM2 Purchase From Canada (Henrys) to USA
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:22:46 PM »
Hi all.

I'm a US citizen and noticed Henry's Camera has 5dM2 for a great price. I sent them an email and received this response: (they were NOT in stock at the time)

"Payment for items being shipped to the United States is by PayPal only.  The charge of $2012.95 is in Canadian Funds and will be exchanged into US funds at time of shipment.  We will not set US Funds exchange until then as the exchange rate varies on a daily basis."

Theoretically, if the camera was shipped today, the exchange rate would be: (2012.95 would convert to $1973.87 US Dollars)

I then sent them an email and requested if any other fees would be charges as I'm just trying to find out EXACTLY how much I will be charged.

They responded: "We have the camera in stock as of the writing of this email.  If you ordered today it should theoretically ship tomorrow.
There may be brokerage fees associated with your purchase, but they are set by the USPS."

I do not know what "Brokerage fees" are and sent an email requesting explanation but have not heard back. I then did some research via Google on the term "brokerage fee"  and found this:
"FORMS & FEES:
NOTE on Brokerage Fees (there are none): Because USPS & CanadaPost have long standing agreements to handle each other's mail, brokers' fees are NEVER charged. EXPENSIVE BROKERS FEES MUST be CHARGED BY MOST OTHER COURIER/SHIPPING SERVICES. BUT NOT USPS or CANADA POST! :-)"

Could anyone tell me if Henry's is a reliable source and what the final charge would be for a 5dm2 purchase? Also, don't understand brokerage fees and i'm a bit skeptical at this point.

Thank you.

Henry's is very reliable, they are a major retailer in Canada.

Brokerage Fees are the fee the shipper will charge you to process the importation of the product.  USPS may not charge you anything.  UPS definitely will charge you brokerage fees for ground shipping but usually not for air shipping.  Note that my experience is based on shipping from the US to Canada.

brando72

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
Thank you for your response but should the shipper ( Henry's) know if they are shipping to me via USPS as opposed to UPS or other carrier?

Apparently, if the camera is shipped via USPS then no fees will be applied and this would obviously be a better deal then any US retailer.

brando72

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »

HI, so I really want a 5dM2 and the best deal I've seen so far from a "reliable" online retailer is $2197.75 for 5DM2 body only and 1 yr USA manufacturer guarantee.

Henry's in Canada has them currently for 1999.99. Does any US resident have experience importing the camera from Canada? What would be the bottom line price for the camera?

Many Thanks.

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »
Another thumbs up for Henrys. They are a national chain with a great reputation. I can't say for sure what fees the USPS would charge you- your best bet would be to contact them for clarification.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

lukaszb

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 01:50:15 PM »
Anyone know if there is a duty tax imposed when shipped from Canada to USA?

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »
Brokerage Fees are the fee the shipper will charge you to process the importation of the product.  USPS may not charge you anything.  UPS definitely will charge you brokerage fees for ground shipping but usually not for air shipping.  Note that my experience is based on shipping from the US to Canada.

I haven't shopped at henry's however I've heard great things about them...  When I purchased my 5d M2 a few weeks ago they didn't have them in stock and I got a great deal from adorama on a kit which was lower than the regular asking price non-kit, probably was a mistake on their part but they honored the price... Anyways, regarding the brokerage fee's, I understand in some situations, there may be duty fee's and such to get through customs... As far as UPS charging fee's, I order most my photography stationary from Boss Logo in canada and they ship UPS...  I've never gotten any extra fee's that wasn't built into the shipping fee's...  USPS I haven't had a problem per-se with shipping from canada to USA however I suppose certain companies can elect to COD the import fees/customs fees and not pay it, especially if they offer "free" shipping...  Perhaps this is what that is?  Good luck. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »

brando72

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 02:35:51 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone.

So currently a "reliable" US Ebay retailer has a 5dm2 body for $2200.00 ( free shipping, US warranty )

Henry's Camera has 5dm2 for $1999.99 + 12.95 shipping.

Henry's sent me email:" There are no taxes added to your order. There is no duty added to your order. There are no brokerage fees added to your order.

1999.99 is charged in Canadian Funds. Whatever the exchange rate is you are charged the equivalent in American Funds. The sale with the shipping charge.

As of the writing of this email $2012.94 CND$ = 1,983.08 USD$"

So it looks like a NEW 5d M2 for $1983.08

I'm gonna pull the trigger! Can't wait!

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 02:51:29 PM »
Ordering a 5D MK II from Canada to the US seems like a no brainer. 

No real downside, and lots of cost savings. 

I already have one, or I would certainly buy it now.  My 5D MK II will be three years old in about 3 weeks and then my extended Mack warranty will expire.  I've never had to use it though.  My original batteries are showing their age and don't last as long, but they do still take several hundred images before running down.

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »
Just got this back from them, about 15 minutes after I emailed....

"You will be charged in Canadian Funds and Paypal will make the necessary conversion.  We have 18 bodies as of the writing of this email."

w00t!   8)

brando72

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »
Another good point worth mentioning about Henry's. My email requests were responded to within minutes of sending them.

florisvanderbel

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 04:42:47 PM »
When I order something from USA to Canada, the seller does not charge taxes but, when it goes through Canadian customs they charge me the applicable tax and a small handling fee (5$)
It is not like that the other way around?

P.S. the paypal currency conversion is not very advantagous for you (paypal takes a %)

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »
P.S. the paypal currency conversion is not very advantagous for you (paypal takes a %)

I guess it's relative...

Even with Paypal's 2.9% currency exchange fee, the 5D MKII is still only $2,070 [Canadian] shipped to the US.  That's still a heck of a lot cheaper than the $2,349-$2,499 USD prices that the 5D MKII sells for here in the states.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »