August 23, 2014, 11:44:30 AM

Author Topic: Best Buy: Mandatory UV Filter for Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens?  (Read 1001 times)

EricFiskCGD

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • How many lenses are enough? One More!
    • View Profile
My wife and I were at Best Buy and I was debating on buying the EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens with what little coin I had left on a gift card. I had exactly $125 dollars left - but the salesman insisted that I buy a UV filter for it because without it, UV rays would destroy the lens or my sensor!

I shrugged my shoulders and say that I would have to research this claim - and I walked out.

If I MUST have a UV filter on this lens, why doesn't it come with one or was this salesperson trying to screw me?
EOS Rebel T3i
EF-S 18-55mm
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Best Buy: Mandatory UV Filter for Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:41:33 PM »
He was either, an idiot, misinformed, or trying to con you.

You do not need a UV filter on any lens ever, they are useful particularly at higher altitudes when using film. Some/many swear by them as protection for the front element as an unrelated side use too. All digital camera sensors have UV blocking filters built in.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
UV filters are necessary, because they have a really high markup that means more profit for the store and/or more commission for the salesperson.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
He was either, an idiot, misinformed, or trying to con you.

You do not need a UV filter on any lens ever, they are useful particularly at higher altitudes when using film. Some/many swear by them as protection for the front element as an unrelated side use too. All digital camera sensors have UV blocking filters built in.
Agreed!

UV and skylight filters are a holdout from the days of film. Your DSLR is not sensitive to UV... It is not going to show up in pictures and it will not harm your sensor.

You can use a filter to provide protection to your lens, but unless it is a high quality filter it will degrade your image. You will not find a high quality filter at best buy.
The best camera is the one in your hands

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 01:22:34 AM »
UV filters are necessary, because they have a really high markup that means more profit for the store and/or more commission for the salesperson.   :P

They're also necessary for some lenses to be fully weather sealed, but obviously that doesn't apply to the 50mm f/1.8 II, which isn't weather sealed at all, AFAIK.

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 03:38:14 AM »
The front element of the 50/1.8 is set well back from the front of the mount and is well protected without the need for a filter.  I do protect expensive lenses that have the front element flush with the mount, but that is just a personal foible.  There is absolutely no need for a uv filter with the 50mm.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 06:15:22 AM »
The front element of the 50/1.8 is set well back from the front of the mount and is well protected without the need for a filter.  I do protect expensive lenses that have the front element flush with the mount, but that is just a personal foible.  There is absolutely no need for a uv filter with the 50mm.
Just to make it clear: If you want a filter to protect the front element of a lens, it doesn't have to be an UV filter. A clear filter works just fine. UV filters are sometimes easier to find, that's why they are also used for lenses on digital cameras.
The protection mentioned here is protection from mechanical impact and/or moisture. There is no need to protect lens or sensor from UV light. For a $120 dollar lens it is in my opinion overkill.
UV protection for your skin however is recommended :)

tolusina

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »
BestBuy.
Salesperson probably didn't know any better. Was likely looking out for your best interests, oblivious to his/her level of mis-information.
You'd probably get the same sort of 'help' at Walmart or any other mass market retailer.
40 on 6

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
Just to make it clear: If you want a filter to protect the front element of a lens, it doesn't have to be an UV filter. A clear filter works just fine. UV filters are sometimes easier to find, that's why they are also used for lenses on digital cameras.
The protection mentioned here is protection from mechanical impact and/or moisture. There is no need to protect lens or sensor from UV light. For a $120 dollar lens it is in my opinion overkill.
UV protection for your skin however is recommended :)

Agree on all accounts. I bought a Marumi clear filter for my Tamron 150-600 a couple of weeks ago as I was intending to use the lens occasionally without its lens hood in crowded areas and because of reports in another thread that the front element did not look sealed. I am pretty impressed with it. It doesn't appear to have have affected picture quality, and I dropped it onto concrete and it survived without even a mark on the ring!
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

traingineer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 07:33:56 PM »
You don't need a UV filter for a lens like that, and I would be careful of buying from Best Buy. They usually. just spew out some marketing and try to make you buy the most expensive item or an overkill item.
7D | 24-70mm F2.8 I | 50mm F1.8 II | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS

wako

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 11:10:01 PM »
Just putting it out there...

I use to work at BestBuy (~10 years ago though) and sales were NOT paid on commission. So if you buy something cheap or expensive it didnt make any difference. The sales people were paid hourly and only thing that counted against our scorecard (AKA: if we will get hours next week) are the service plans.

So based on that, I pretty sure you just had a really dumb salesperson. Go back to the store and just buy it. Do him a favor and tell him how horribly wrong he is. More than likely hes just some stupid teenager.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »

+1

In fact, putting a filter on the 50 1.8 causes flare unless you are using a hood (not needed otherwise because the front element is set back.
The 50 is my only lens without a protective filter.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

TheJock

• Rebel T5i
  • Learning one day at a time...thanks to CR :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 01:54:01 AM »
Speaking from my personal experience with this lens, make sure the store honours returns as the lens has a well-documented problem with the focus jumping back and forth (skipping), my first variant was returned 3 months after purchase and swapped like for like.  Additionally, UV filters can cause glare, I noticed it on a lot of my images from the last 24 hour race, it looked like the illuminated numbers on the side of the cars had a double upside down image diagonally across the frame, so I removed it altogether.  Other than these issues the lens offers brilliant images for the price, I would thoroughly recommend you buy it.........before the wife spends your gift card wonga on gardening items……which will cause YOU more work at home  :P ;D
70D - 100-400L - 24-105L - 50 f1.8 II - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Sigma 610 ST.
Next on the hit list, and in no particular order -  1.4xTCIII + 2xTCIII + 100 f2.8 USM macro + 430 EX-II

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 12:12:30 PM »
I bought a Marumi clear filter ...

Good to read about other people having good experiences with Marumi filters.  I am very impressed with the quality and have replaced all my filters (protective and others) with Marumi's

There are times when I feel I am the only one buying Marumi filters.   :-\
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »
In fact, putting a filter on the 50 1.8 causes flare unless you are using a hood (not needed otherwise because the front element is set back.

I'm not sure why it would cause flare on that lens any more than it does on any other, unless you got a cheap filter that wasn't multicoated (or not multicoated very well).