July 25, 2014, 09:17:09 PM

Author Topic: What if we were still shooting slide film?  (Read 1118 times)

traingineer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: What if we were still shooting slide film?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
Well I think if we were still shooting with film, selfies would be much more difficult. 0 ͜ʖ 0
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:44:42 PM by traingineer »
7D | 24-70mm F2.8 I | 50mm F1.8 II | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 04:26:10 PM »
The iPhone would not easily slip into a pocket :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »
I virtually never use burst mode.  I was used to timing my shots and looking for things like closed eyes.  Occasionally, I see someone close their eyes just as I shoot, so I quickly open the shutter a 2nd time.

Still, I do take a lot more digital photos than I did with film.  The cost of film was high.

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »
I came into photography in the digital age, but I still shoot film just for fun. At the moment, the camera which stands on the top of my bookshelf, ready for action, is an old Nikkormat EL-2 with a 50mm and loaded with B&W film (admitedly, it is only Ilford XP2 super and not TRI-X, since it is easier and cheaper to have my shots C41 processed. Sadly, I don't have access to a darkroom).

I do find it makes me take more time to consider each frame I shoot, but there are also so many missed shots because I'm not that great at manually focusing on moving subjects or gauging exposure. At least there is a built-in meter to help me save a few images.

All this to say that I find a lot more pleasure with that old device than my DSLR just because of the challenge and of the expectation of developing that roll and finding some image I don't even remembered shooting...

As a learning tool for the technique, digital is great as it does not cost as much to see where you failed and it embeds the info on the shot parameters. However, for the composition and pictorial learning process, analog is great as it slows you down.
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

dak723

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 10:43:03 PM »
My percentage of "keepers" may be smaller, but the number of keepers is much higher in the digital age.  Sometimes the photo you think is going to be great turns out to be a dud.  And sometimes the ones you think will be duds, turn out to be the keepers.  In the old days - when each pic cost money, a lot of those pics were never taken - now they are.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 10:43:03 PM »