December 15, 2017, 06:54:57 PM

Author Topic: Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Tilt-Shift Lens - your thoughts?  (Read 7126 times)

Neutral

• EOS 80D
Re: Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Tilt-Shift Lens - your thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 05:03:37 PM »
Though TS-E is perfect optical system it need to be used with care.
I've seen many images with TS-E when it was not used properly.
It like working  with HDR - if not use carefully than it easy to overcook.
Some people are overcooking prospective correction with lens shift  and make vertical lines  on image strictly vertical  and parallel to the picture sides and this breaks overall image prospective  - image does not look natural   - as if turned upside down.
When you look at the image upper side looks bigger than down side though they are equal .
This is optical illusion  because our mind uses it's own prospective correction .
So it is important  always to leave some prospective proportions on the  image and do not do it fully square

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 05:03:37 PM »

Eldar

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 03:41:39 AM »
Most seem to be said already, so all I can do is confirm some of the earlier posts. The 17 TS-E is optically and mechanically a phenomenal lens. But in my view, you buy it for the tilt&shift functionality and on a tripod. It is clearly useable handheld also, but to make it work handheld with tilt and/or shift requires a lot of practice. My use is 99% on a tripod.

There are filter options available, but to me it is too cumbersome, so I shoot it as it comes. I have a 15mm Zeiss, for which I bought the (frightfully expensive) CPL. And if a more standard UWA lens is what you want, I can definitely recommend that. Other alternative is the 21 or 18mm Zeiss lenses.

I also agree with he who pointed out that if you have a good UWA prime and the 24-70 II, you donĀ“t need the 16-35 II. I actually sold mine, with no regrets. It is good stopped down, but full of flaws shot wide open (which is what I normally do).

But if you take the time it takes to master the 17 TS-E, it will give you lots of joy!
More equipment than skills, but everything is used :)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/eldarhauge/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eldarhaugephotography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 03:41:39 AM »