September 21, 2014, 06:25:16 PM

Author Topic: New 50mm Sigma ? There are other options !  (Read 14830 times)

traingineer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: New 50mm Sigma - question re weatherproofing?
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2014, 04:01:17 PM »
Please forgive me if I am treading on already-discussed ground; but what has experience been so far with regard to the new Sigma 50 1.4 in either dusty environments or damp (like humid or rainy) environments? Reviews  say 'not weatherproofed'-- does this entail some clear-cut difference between their lens and, say, the Canon's 1.2 or 1.8 lenses? The difference in weight is of no consequence to me. Thank you for your advice.
From the reviews I've seen, I don't think any of the "review" lenses have been in any kind of harsh environments.  The Canon 50 f/1.2 is the only Canon that is weather sealed, and the new (not yet released) Sigma 50 Art is not weather sealed.  The Canon 50 f/1.2 has all switches and seams sealed and has a rubber gasket on the mount to seal with Canon's weather sealed bodies (1D, 5D, 7D, 6D, and x0D series).  A UV filter is required for full sealing, but it would survive dusty, rainy, and humid locations.  The Sigma may do okay, but it wouldn't be a good idea to take it out in those environments if they were really harsh.

That's something I don't understand of Sigma, they made their DSLR fully weather sealed and their new 120-300mm weathersealed, but the rest are kind of resistant to bad weather.
7D | 24-70mm F2.8 I | 50mm F1.8 II | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2014, 04:01:17 PM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2014, 04:12:34 PM »
Please forgive me if I am treading on already-discussed ground; but what has experience been so far with regard to the new Sigma 50 1.4 in either dusty environments or damp (like humid or rainy) environments? Reviews  say 'not weatherproofed'-- does this entail some clear-cut difference between their lens and, say, the Canon's 1.2 or 1.8 lenses? The difference in weight is of no consequence to me. Thank you for your advice.
From the reviews I've seen, I don't think any of the "review" lenses have been in any kind of harsh environments.  The Canon 50 f/1.2 is the only Canon that is weather sealed, and the new (not yet released) Sigma 50 Art is not weather sealed.  The Canon 50 f/1.2 has all switches and seams sealed and has a rubber gasket on the mount to seal with Canon's weather sealed bodies (1D, 5D, 7D, 6D, and x0D series).  A UV filter is required for full sealing, but it would survive dusty, rainy, and humid locations.  The Sigma may do okay, but it wouldn't be a good idea to take it out in those environments if they were really harsh.

That's something I don't understand of Sigma, they made their DSLR fully weather sealed and their new 120-300mm weathersealed, but the rest are kind of resistant to bad weather.

I would think it is a matter of unit cost. It must be much more expensive to manufacture a lens, with all its moving parts to be reasonably protected from the ingress of water, and as the Sigma has to be competitively priced I doubt it was feasible.

traingineer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »

I would think it is a matter of unit cost. It must be much more expensive to manufacture a lens, with all its moving parts to be reasonably protected from the ingress of water, and as the Sigma has to be competitively priced I doubt it was feasible.

That does make sense, it's just interesting that they chose the 120-300 lens to be the protected/tough lens.

Andrew Davies Photography

• Canon AE-1
  • Canon 5dmk3
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Davies Wedding Photography
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2014, 08:44:30 AM »

From personal experience the weather sealed tag is not all its cracked up to be , I have had a 24-70L and a 24-105L succumb to sand getting in the works and a 17-40 which was only 1 year old had a hole form in the rubber gasket meaning it was not sealed , all had filters fitted.  I have two 70-200Ls both of which have collected dust inside the elements ( not that it affects anything ) but again they had filters.

My kit has been in harsh conditions with a few -8 degree days each year in the highlands , varying wedding environments from blistering sun to snow and pouring rain and plenty of beach river and sea shoots. To be honest the only thing i have found different in good quality glass such as the 17-55 2.8 and the 35mm F2 IS is not the quality of picture or bokeh but the fact it looks good to others that it has a red ring and somehow makes you more professional which is not really the case.

That said with the advances in optics and technology is there such a thing as a bad lens now manufactured ?

www.andrew-davies.com north east and yorkshire wedding photographer

Canon 5Dmk3, 5Dmk2 x 2 , 35mm F2IS, 24mm F2.8IS, 24-105L , 70-200 F4L, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580exII x2

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: New 50mm Sigma ? There are other options !
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2014, 09:43:52 AM »
I have used my sealed gear in very heavy rain and snow and conditions down -28 Celcius with no issues. I tried taking one of my 85's out in normal to heavy rain and kept my hand over it, but I fogged and got moist inside the distance scale in three minutes, experienced the same with a 35 L. All my sealed gear has always worked.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

traingineer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2014, 11:38:18 AM »
Well weather sealing is a nice option, but I think the best weather sealing is the Optech rain sleeve.  ;)

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2014, 08:54:48 PM »
DXO mark one of the most trusted resources online

Whoa ! Steady.

( It's the 11th of April to day. You missed out a 1 ).

wow...dxo says it's a bad lens = it's probably a great lens!
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2014, 08:54:48 PM »

Andrew Davies Photography

• Canon AE-1
  • Canon 5dmk3
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Davies Wedding Photography
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2014, 05:35:58 AM »
Now people have started taking delivery of their Sigma 50s they are turning out to not quite be the jewel in the crown of everyones collection with the usual sigma variations in focusing issues.

Meanwhile happy to report my new Canon 35mm IS is absolutely brilliant and nails focus every time , maybe its time for a new Canon 50 IS ??

Canon 5Dmk3, 5Dmk2 x 2 , 35mm F2IS, 24mm F2.8IS, 24-105L , 70-200 F4L, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580exII x2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2014, 05:35:58 AM »