October 24, 2014, 04:11:26 AM

Author Topic: Teleconverter advice  (Read 5812 times)

Chisox2335

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Teleconverter advice
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:36:06 PM »
I have a 70D and planning to get a 5d3. 

I have a Canon 100-400 and a tamron 70-200 f2.8 SP

I was think of getting a 1.4 teleconverter to use for birds and to give me a 98-280mm f4 on the Tamron.

Would love done input if you guys think it's worth even getting and if so, Canon mkii? Mkiii? Tamron or kenko?

Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

Teleconverter advice
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:36:06 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Teleconverter advice
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:40:01 PM »
I have heard in passing that for the 1.4x extenders there isn't a huge difference between the II and the III for image quality.  I'd need to see a screaming deal to get the II though, the IIIs (both of them) apparently offer AF improvements with the big white lenses, no sense handicapping your future if you don't have to.  My 0.02.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

Steve

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:43:13 AM »
Nah, I'd say there's no reason at all to pay extra for the III.  The II's are about half the cost used and there's literally no difference in image quality. If you ever decide to buy a $12,000 lens I'm sure you can find it in your wallet to upgrade to the mark III at that time. 

One thing to look out for is whether or not the tammy 70-200 can take the canon TC.  I have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 and my TC won't physically attach because of the extended lens element, which is pretty annoying.  Kenko and sigma TC's don't have that extended element so they fit more lenses.  I don't know how good the IQ is on those, though.

JumboShrimp

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 01:19:39 AM »
The 1.4x Kenko is very good, using it on my 70-300L. One big plus is that it does not extend into the rear of the lens, pretty much making it a "universal" TC. If you get one of these, make sure it is the "TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX" version.

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 02:22:57 AM »
The main advantage for the mkIIIs is the improved AF with white super tele's.

Other than that, the optical improvement is not very noticeable.

I purchased both mkII and mkIII 1.4 extenders to do a test myself back when they were both available.

No regrets sticking with mkII and saving myself quite a bit of coin
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

justaCanonuser

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 03:43:32 AM »
Past year I've upgraded from a Kenko Teleplus 300 Pro 1.4x to Canon's TC 1.4 III and I was positively shocked by the improvement both in IQ and AF performance. I was so frustrated about the Kenko that I practically stopped using it. I use both Canon's Mark III 1.4x and 2.0x TC's with my EF 70-200/2.8 II, EF 300/4 (L IS USM), EF 400/5.6 and EF 500/4.5 (2x TC manual focus only with those two longest lenses), and I have to say that I did not regret the investment.

In 2012 a German photozine reviewed in particular 70-200/2.8 + 1.4 TCs in the lab, and their conclusion was that Canons Mark II lens and Mark III TC combo outperformed Nikons (70-200 II) and Sigmas combos optically by far, it was a different league.
5D3, 7D, film: EOS 3, Nikon FM-2, lots of lenses from 18 to 500mm

procentje20

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 04:17:21 AM »
Ive used a kenko 1.5, not the 1.4. The one I had was so bad the resolution of the subject actually worsened upon using the teleconverter. Ruining a whole birding walk. This was when I had a 7D and 70-200/2.8IS.

I've also used the canon 1.4 II and III. I dont really see a difference between the two. So when I'll buy one again, it will be the version II secondhand.
5DIII | 8-15/4  | 24-70/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85 1.8 | 150-600/5-6.3 | 35-80/4-5.6 PZ | Canonet 28

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 04:17:21 AM »

scyrene

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:37:17 AM »
Others have intimated this but I think it needs to be stated forcefully: Canon teleconverters do not tend to fit third party lenses (or even most of Canon's own lenses, especially non-telephoto ones). They have protruding front elements, so the lenses they are attached to must have quite a deep recess at the back to accommodate them. I've not used this Tamron lens, and it's not easy to tell from cross section diagrams how much space there is at the back, but I'd want to be sure others have successfully mated it to Canon extenders before buying one. (You can of course use an extension tube, but that will impact autofocus speed, infinity focus, and possibly image quality).

Third party teleconverters will be more accommodating - I have a Kenko 2x version which fits all lenses I've tried it with - but they will not produce such good results (reflected in the price difference). Nonetheless, they can still be a good choice. It's worth stopping down the aperture a little if you use them, I would say, especially if the lens suffers from distortions/aberrations to begin with.
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.
Former lenses include: 70-200L f/4 non-IS, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

Chisox2335

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 08:01:18 AM »
Others have intimated this but I think it needs to be stated forcefully: Canon teleconverters do not tend to fit third party lenses (or even most of Canon's own lenses, especially non-telephoto ones). They have protruding front elements, so the lenses they are attached to must have quite a deep recess at the back to accommodate them. I've not used this Tamron lens, and it's not easy to tell from cross section diagrams how much space there is at the back, but I'd want to be sure others have successfully mated it to Canon extenders before buying one. (You can of course use an extension tube, but that will impact autofocus speed, infinity focus, and possibly image quality).

Third party teleconverters will be more accommodating - I have a Kenko 2x version which fits all lenses I've tried it with - but they will not produce such good results (reflected in the price difference). Nonetheless, they can still be a good choice. It's worth stopping down the aperture a little if you use them, I would say, especially if the lens suffers from distortions/aberrations to begin with.

The canons fitting was one of my main concerns. I've heard the 100-400 isn't great with teleconverters in the first place. I wonder if I should just get the tamron to pair with the tamron and if it works on the 100-400 great and if not oh well.

scyrene

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 08:15:30 AM »
The canons fitting was one of my main concerns. I've heard the 100-400 isn't great with teleconverters in the first place. I wonder if I should just get the tamron to pair with the tamron and if it works on the 100-400 great and if not oh well.

The Canon extenders will fit the 100-400. As for the image quality, I expect there is a noticeable penalty (though no doubt good results could be obtained in the right conditions). A Tamron teleconverter should fit the Canon too, but I can't say for sure. I'd say it's worth having a go, you might like it - I started out adding teleconverters to lenses when I got into bird photography, and it was amazing what even fairly cheap equipment could reveal.

What sort of things are you hoping to photograph?
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.

Chisox2335

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 08:40:34 AM »

The Canon extenders will fit the 100-400. As for the image quality, I expect there is a noticeable penalty (though no doubt good results could be obtained in the right conditions). A Tamron teleconverter should fit the Canon too, but I can't say for sure. I'd say it's worth having a go, you might like it - I started out adding teleconverters to lenses when I got into bird photography, and it was amazing what even fairly cheap equipment could reveal.

I have a pond near me that I photograph geese ducks te occasional blue heron te local beaver. I will also be going on a safari in October. I am attempting to rent a 600mm at one of te reserves in which case I would be less concerned with my 100-400.  I don't think I'm skilled enough to pop a tc on a 600 an get that kind of reach. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 09:21:09 AM »
The Canon extenders will fit the 100-400.
I have a pond near me that I photograph geese ducks te occasional blue heron te local beaver. I will also be going on a safari in October. I am attempting to rent a 600mm at one of te reserves in which case I would be less concerned with my 100-400.  I don't think I'm skilled enough to pop a tc on a 600 an get that kind of reach.

With a Canon 1.4x on the 100-400L, you will not be able to autofocus with your 70D unless you're using Live View.  Only the 5DIII and 1D X support AF at f/8 (which is where you'll be with a 1.4x TC  on an f/5.6 lens).

The 600/4L IS II + 1.4xIII is a great combo for birds.  It can be handheld with practice, but you'll likely want a monopod or tripod with gimbal head for that setup especially if you're renting.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

scyrene

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 10:05:38 AM »

I'd say you could stick with the 100-400 for larger birds like that, but if you do rent a 600, prepare to be blown away by the step up in image quality. Even with a 1.4 teleconverter, it will produce wonderful images, although depending on how close the birds let you get, that might be too much focal length (although shier ducks/larger bodies of water often require even more focal length in my experience). As Neuro says, you may want a tripod/monopod with that - you can get used to handholding the super telephoto lenses (I do 99% of the time), but at first it can seem impossibly heavy and unwieldy (plus it's expensive if you drop it!).

Good luck either way :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 10:05:38 AM »

Chisox2335

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »
http://www.mashatu.com/photo_types.htm

The 600mm would be used in the last hide of the attached as we will be in it one morning of our stay there. I should be able to use my monopod or tripod. I do not have a gimbal and likely would not invest in one for the rental of the 600. They also have options so I could use it in a beanbag from the hide.

The 600mm may not even be available for my stay. I'll know in September. 

candc

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »
I have the kenko pro 1.4x and the canon 1.4xiii. They both have about the same IQ. The kenko is about half the price and works on just about everything, the canon has weather sealing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »