December 04, 2016, 07:38:47 AM

Author Topic: Cinema EOS Development Opinion  (Read 15333 times)

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • AprilForever.com
Re: Cinema EOS Development Opinion
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 01:49:17 AM »
<div id=\"fb_share_1\" style=\"float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;\"><a name=\"fb_share\" type=\"box_count\" share_url=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/11/cinema-eos-development-opinion/\" href=\"http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php\">Share</a></div><div><script src=\"http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share\" type=\"text/javascript\"></script></div><div class=\"tweetmeme_button\" style=\"float: right; margin-left: 10px;\"><a class=\"tm_button\" rel=\"&style=normal&b=2\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/11/cinema-eos-development-opinion/\"></a></div>
<strong>This is an opinion with a mix of speculation

</strong>A lot has been made of the “in development” announcement of a new “Cinema” branded DSLR. Most people seem to think the camera is going to be based on the 1D X.</p>
<p>I agree with <a href=\"http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_video.html\">Keith at Northlight Images</a>, nothing was said by Canon as to what the form factor would be. I think what they showed was just a 1D X body with a red “C” stuck on it for marketing purposes.</p>
<p>I think the camera they’re speaking of will sit between the 5D Mark III and 1D X. Perhaps an EOS 3C? I do not like the name “3D” for a camera that doesn’t actually shoot 3D.</p>
<p>I also don’t think it would be a full size EOS-1 body. They just spent a few hours touting the small stature of the C300, I don’t think they’d make a cinema DSLR bigger than it needs to be. I’d have to hear from cinematographers & videographers whether or not a camera the size of the 5D Mark II is preferred to the EOS-1 body.</p>
<p><strong>What about photographers?

</strong>I know a good majority of photographers are pretty tired about hearing about video in DSLRs. A lot of the community is looking for a new “photography first” full frame DSLR that doesn’t require remortgaging their homes. I think the 5D Mark III will be that camera. It’ll probably have video features on par with the 1D X, but will be a high resolution, high image quality still photography camera.</p>
<p>I’ve said before that I think Canon plans to monetize the videographers and video DSLRs, so something like the “EOS 3C” makes a lot of sense. Â Looking at the prices of the new cinema lenses, it seems videographers have no problem spending more.</p>
<p>So don’t be worried photographers, Canon hasn’t forgotten about you and I’m sure will deliver the product we all know you want.</p>
<p>It’s going to be a very interesting 2012 to say the least.</p>
<p><em>This was just an opinion post, please don’t be too hard on me.</em></p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

I indeed am tired of hearing about video in my slr. If the 7D mk II had no video, it would not be even slightly bothered. Do I use my 7D video? Occassionaly, but if the lack of video kept price down, I would be happy. Or, if they just left the video the same, and focused on improving the still picture side of things, that would indeed make me much happier.

I'm a photographer, not a videographer!
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 01:49:17 AM »

moreorless

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 02:00:09 AM »
Once you don't need a mirror to provide an OVF and PDAF, why compromise your lens designs (particularly wide angle) to accomodate it?

I'v often heard this but really where has mirrorless shown advantages in cost, performance or size so far? The NEX lenses really don't seem to offer any of them over a relgular crop sensor. Nothing I'v seen so far really hints to me that a mirrorless system that offered the same functionality(IQ, lens linup, controls etc) as current DSLR systems would be a signifcant advanatge.

My guess would be that the mirrorless market will end up running alongside DSLR's, smaller sensor bodies offering DSLR functionality but lesser IQ and AF as they do now and larger sensor ones focusing on pancake primes that offer a much smaller system.

I'd guess Canon's seeming lack of action could well be down to putting extra devolpment time into a system to get it right aswell. Nikon and Pentax's systems just seem like rushed jobs to me and I don't see either of them having much sucess, to do that I think Canon either needs to come up with a large sensor mirrorless with a good range of small primes at launch or a smaller sensor one thats much cheaper than Nikon's effort.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:12:39 AM by moreorless »

Jettatore

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 05:30:22 AM »
irt: April, If anything, the quite large customer base video extras bring to the table helps them sell many more of the same units and also moves more lenses out the door which should help more than anything in keeping the cost of all this gear down for all of us involved.  And if it doesn't, the problem wasn't the video inclusions...

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 02:09:46 AM »
I indeed am tired of hearing about video in my slr. If the 7D mk II had no video, it would not be even slightly bothered. Do I use my 7D video? Occassionaly, but if the lack of video kept price down, I would be happy. Or, if they just left the video the same, and focused on improving the still picture side of things, that would indeed make me much happier.

I'm a photographer, not a videographer!
This is a fairly common argument.  The most common valid evidence for excluding video that I've seen is that camera makers are dedicating buttons (at most one or two) to video (somebody recently called it a "Youtube button") instead of to features they use.  Now, some cameras won't let you remap buttons using custom functions, and I don't know if any really will let you remap buttons that are dedicated to video currently.  Out of the whole camera's interface, it would be a valid complaint (in the case of the "Youtube button" guy's camera, I think it was a dedicated ISO button in a specific advantageous location that was claimed to be lost, or something like that - don't recall which camera however).  It's definitely a valid concern.

However, and just to repeat it again, Canon gets a heck of a lot of value out of having video, and so do many casual users.  Nobody has ever demonstrated that it adds substantial cost to cameras - can you point to a price spike in cameras (not better explained by adjustments for inflation etc.)?  I don't believe so.  There really isn't any reason to believe that Canon needs to make the camera more expensive, despite having poured interesting new developments and research into making their movie modes more viable - Canon gets a significant marketing boost (i.e. the camera is more competitive; it would be a mistake to think that there would be no dent in Canon's market share if they had ignored video, and that's before considering they would have missed out on possibilities like Cinema EOS to enter or create new markets) and they benefit from users who use their DSLRs as video production cameras, although recently they indeed have been apparently working to please purists - video users first, with the new and ambitious 1D X spec, and also with the Cinema EOS line.  I wouldn't look for them to delete the Live View button any time soon, and the dedication of the shutter button to taking still pictures in video modes on EOS DSLRs should likely persist, so a video on/off button may continue to persist on all their DSLRs.  In the end, though, I'm not sure it's a big deal.

RichST

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 03:25:48 AM »
Hearing all the photogs complain about the upcoming DSLR / Video hybrid and not having a true, photo only 5D3; I can't help but think of the irony.

I'm pretty certain the Video DSLR is going to be a lower megapixel stills camera

So with the DSLR video hybrid, you will get a better photo camera and a better video camera, just not huge megapixel.

Yes, but it's pretty apparent by looking at the spec sheets and reading between the lines with what canon has been saying and it looks like it will be a modified 1DX sensor, the 4K video will be done in an 80% crop mode with corresponds with an APS-H sensor size. The 1Dx is the natural to use for the sensor since it already has enough speed built-in to the converters, all the wiring and data pipelines etc to handle the very fast data feed that would be coming off the sensor at 4k in video mode.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 03:25:48 AM »