October 31, 2014, 02:43:40 PM

Author Topic: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art  (Read 11377 times)

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
Re: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 05:18:20 AM »
"Pretty large for a 50mm f1.4"

Well it does have 13 elements, (that do wonderful things!).

I wonder how it handles flare and direct sunlight as a consequence? The 50 f1.2 L is pretty amazing in this regard. I used to have a Sigma 100-300 EX DG f4 and a 70-200 f2.8 EX DG and they were both pretty hopeless with flare and direct sunlight. Contre-Jour was impossible with those two lenses...so i wonder how the new 50 f1.4 art fares in this regards. My old Sigma 12-24mm lens (an amazing optic, with with an odd balance of benefits, features and issues) was pretty good with flare, although not a patch on the Canon 16-35IIL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 05:18:20 AM »

Rudeofus

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 05:31:24 AM »
I´m really curious to see how it performs against 35 Art. I have seen a couple of reviews but it seems no one compares these two. Still waiting for the first user reports and then I´ll decide. I would prefer 35 before 50 focal length for my 5D3. But if this new 50 is optically better then I´ll probably change my decision. Only optical performance matters for me, I do not care about weight or size. Sharpness, CA, micro contrast, this is important for me.

I think Neuroanatomist explained this in some recent thread: most 35s use retrofocal design, whereas most 50s in the market (until recently) use a double gauss design. The double gauss design is simpler and more compact, but allows for fewer corrections and as a result gave lenses that were less than stellar in performance, especially wide open. Zeiss, and now Sigma, changed that by offering 50s as retrofocal designs, and as a result they now have 50s that blow the competition out of the water. But that means only the 50mm competition, other 35mm lenses always used retrofocal design and always had the opportunity to be decent performers.

So what do we have now: we have an outdated 35L that gets outclassed by a very modern 35A, but only by so much, the 35L wasn't all that bad after all. And we have a new 50A that makes its competitors look really old. That doesn't mean the 50A is going to be that much sharper/better than the 35A or the 35L. What the 50A does is give you the option to pick between a decent 50 and a decent 35. The final decision should (and can now) be made based on what focal length you want, not by some 2% difference in MTF ratings.

tatsu

• Power Shot G7X
  • Eat, drink, dance and get photographic evidence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »
Would the price come down a bit if I wait for a few months?

Sigma 50mm ART production lines are in high gear. I bet 10cents that the price will not drop within few months. If you in need for 50mm, I say go for it. Just enjoy the best from Sigma.

I've got the 35A and love it so pulling the trigger on the 50A pre-order was a no brainer after the first review. 

Definitely time for me to move on from the Canon 50mm 1.4 which was the first lens I ever bought.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:45:58 PM by tatsu »
6D, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 100L f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8, Sig 35 f1.4

beetle

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »
I´m really curious to see how it performs against 35 Art. I have seen a couple of reviews but it seems no one compares these two. Still waiting for the first user reports and then I´ll decide. I would prefer 35 before 50 focal length for my 5D3. But if this new 50 is optically better then I´ll probably change my decision. Only optical performance matters for me, I do not care about weight or size. Sharpness, CA, micro contrast, this is important for me.

I think Neuroanatomist explained this in some recent thread: most 35s use retrofocal design, whereas most 50s in the market (until recently) use a double gauss design. The double gauss design is simpler and more compact, but allows for fewer corrections and as a result gave lenses that were less than stellar in performance, especially wide open. Zeiss, and now Sigma, changed that by offering 50s as retrofocal designs, and as a result they now have 50s that blow the competition out of the water. But that means only the 50mm competition, other 35mm lenses always used retrofocal design and always had the opportunity to be decent performers.

So what do we have now: we have an outdated 35L that gets outclassed by a very modern 35A, but only by so much, the 35L wasn't all that bad after all. And we have a new 50A that makes its competitors look really old. That doesn't mean the 50A is going to be that much sharper/better than the 35A or the 35L. What the 50A does is give you the option to pick between a decent 50 and a decent 35. The final decision should (and can now) be made based on what focal length you want, not by some 2% difference in MTF ratings.

I agree, I do not expect big differences between 50A and 35A. Differences in optical performance will be most probably negligible. But you know, it would be nice to see a comparison from somebody, who had a chance to play with both of them. Fortunately I´m not forced to make the decision right now. I´ll most probably compare both personally before I make my final decision.
5D3, 24-105, 85 1.8, 35 art or 50 art will be next

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Here's what I've been waiting for - a 50L to 50A comparison from SLR Lounge

I think it's enough to convince me to cancel my pre-order.  The Sigma is sharper, but not shockingly so, and the Canon's bokeh is slightly better (IMHO).  The Canon also appears to have ever-so-slightly better contrast, while the Sigma has better CA control, but again, only by a hair.

The other thing I've learned is that you'll have buy the USB dock to enable full time manual focus (which I guess isn't standard for Sigmas).  That's crappy. 

The 50L has killer build quality and USM in a much smaller package and I don't think the Sigma is worth 950 of my dollars for such subtle differences at f/1.4 in what for me, is a portrait lens. 

I guess I can't cancel it till the 24th, so I'll keep my mind open until then, but I think I'm going to cancel and resume the 50L II vigil ;)

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »

I think it's enough to convince me to cancel my pre-order.  The Sigma is sharper, but not shockingly so, and the Canon's bokeh is slightly better (IMHO).  The Canon also appears to have ever-so-slightly better contrast, while the Sigma has better CA control, but again, only by a hair.

The other thing I've learned is that you'll have buy the USB dock to enable full time manual focus (which I guess isn't standard for Sigmas).  That's crappy. 

The 50L has killer build quality and USM in a much smaller package and I don't think the Sigma is worth 950 of my dollars for such subtle differences at f/1.4 in what for me, is a portrait lens. 

I guess I can't cancel it till the 24th, so I'll keep my mind open until then, but I think I'm going to cancel and resume the 50L II vigil ;)

The differences are little, very little. I can understand while you own the 50L not spending money on the Sigma. I would not spend 500 euro more (here in the Netherlands) for the 50L while the difference with the Sigma is so little. So as a starter for the 50mm, my choice would be the Sigma.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 01:03:07 PM »

The differences are little, very little. I can understand while you own the 50L not spending money on the Sigma. I would not spend 500 euro more (here in the Netherlands) for the 50L while the difference with the Sigma is so little. So as a starter for the 50mm, my choice would be the Sigma.
That's very true - if I didn't own the 50L, the Sigma would be my choice, but as I have purchased, sold, and re-purchased(!) the 50L, I think I'll stick with it.

Update: B&H allows you to cancel online now (finally!) so the deed is done. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:17:19 PM by mackguyver »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 01:03:07 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »
As good as... isn't blowing it out of the water.  If it is true.... well I can't believe it to be true. 

I'm speechless.

Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

bereninga

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »

I agree that if I had the 50L, I'd stick with it. But for a first-time buyer of a high end 50mm, I think the Sigma would be the better choice. The price difference is very difficult to ignore.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 03:08:47 PM »

I agree that if I had the 50L, I'd stick with it. But for a first-time buyer of a high end 50mm, I think the Sigma would be the better choice. The price difference is very difficult to ignore.

Pretty surprising to me this, it seems to be very opposite from other places. And corner performance is the problem with the 50 L for me. If it had the same sharpness across the frame as it does in the center I would never sell it.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 03:34:27 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong, I just very quickly scanned the SLR Lounge review, but isn't he limiting his pixel-peeping to primarily the center of the frame? And isn't it the center of the frame where the Canon 50L is strongest?

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »
Pretty surprising to me this, it seems to be very opposite from other places. And corner performance is the problem with the 50 L for me. If it had the same sharpness across the frame as it does in the center I would never sell it.
It does limit off center compositions, but neither of my copies have been as soft as the test charts would indicate and I find the middle 1/2 of the frame is acceptable wide open.  If I need to put something critical in the outer parts of the frame, I'll either crop or stop down to f/2.  At f/1.2, any shots that turn out soft are more likely my fault, not the lens' fault :)

Maybe I'm wrong, I just very quickly scanned the SLR Lounge review, but isn't he limiting his pixel-peeping to primarily the center of the frame? And isn't it the center of the frame where the Canon 50L is strongest?
No, you're right, but I still have no regrets on the cancellation.  $950 is still $950 and I have the 24-70 II for the subjects I shoot where corner sharpness is necessary (landscapes, buildings) and I'd be stopping down to at least f/11 for them anyways.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »
It does limit off center compositions, but neither of my copies have been as soft as the test charts would indicate and I find the middle 1/2 of the frame is acceptable wide open.  If I need to put something critical in the outer parts of the frame, I'll either crop or stop down to f/2.  At f/1.2, any shots that turn out soft are more likely my fault, not the lens' fault :)

No, you're right, but I still have no regrets on the cancellation.  $950 is still $950 and I have the 24-70 II for the subjects I shoot where corner sharpness is necessary (landscapes, buildings) and I'd be stopping down to at least f/11 for them anyways.

I have had 4 copies of the 50 L and they have all been great and VERY similar in all aspects. And I didn't like the off center sharpness, I kind of always want it to be the corner performer the 85 L is at the biggest apertures. And it seemed like the Sigma would cover that, but, hm, I'm not preordering at least :oP
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
I think what I was hoping for was f2.8 performance of the 50 f1.4 at f1.4 with the art. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »
...but I still have no regrets on the cancellation.  $950 is still $950 and I have the 24-70 II for the subjects I shoot where corner sharpness is necessary (landscapes, buildings) and I'd be stopping down to at least f/11 for them anyways.

Makes sense... I'm sweating my pre-order of the 50A too. But I don't have a 50L to fall-back on (just a Canon 1.4 that I can't stomach using wider that 2.0) so I'm going to stay-the-course with my Sigma pre-order...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »