August 29, 2014, 12:41:01 PM

Author Topic: Max CF Card size that can be used in the 5D2?  (Read 13742 times)

Portpix

Max CF Card size that can be used in the 5D2?
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
Just wondering what the maximum size of CF card I can use in the 5D2 with the latest firmware?  I've been told its 32GB, is this correct or can I use 64GB cards?

canon rumors FORUM

Max CF Card size that can be used in the 5D2?
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »

J. McCabe

Re: Max CF Card size that can be used in the 5D2?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »
I've used a SanDisk 32GB card, and have filled it up with ~24GB of data, so the 5Dmk2 can certainly use cards that large.

Don't know about 64GB cards.

Portpix

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
I currently use 32GB cards and as you say they work fine, I'm just wondering if I can use 64GB cards?

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
I don't see any reason why 64GB wouldn't work. There is nothing on the specs sheet that has that has card size as a limiting factor.

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

mreco99

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 01:03:54 PM »
on a similar theme, whats the best speed card to get for the canon 5D2. I dont mean the fastest in the world, i mean the fastest that does teh job properly, ie no pausing when firing off some rounds.

thanks

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 01:42:34 PM »
For continuous stills in RAW @ 3.9 fps, 100MBs write speed.

Video requires a lot less, like 6 MBs.

I use 80 MBs cards, but I rarely shoot rapid fire.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:44:46 PM by HurtinMinorKey »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 01:42:34 PM »

Portpix

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
The Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb CF card works fine on the 5D2.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3684/~/64gb-extreme-pro-compactflash-card-fails-on-a-nikon-d300-and-other-nikon-dslr

Thanks for that.  I went looking but miss this article ... again thanks.

Portpix

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 07:56:48 PM »

I don't think you need to go to this extreme to get good performance out of your 5D2.  Maybe if you were shooting sports/action .. but then a 5D2 is probably not the best for sports/action photography anyway.  I think it depends on your usage and budget.

ATM Sandisk has a great sale on their pro range and now would be a good time to buy some 60MG/s or 90MB/s cards, either I'm sure will serve you well.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 06:31:27 AM »
Sandisk has a great sale on their pro range and now would be a good time to buy some 60MG/s or 90MB/s cards, either I'm sure will serve you well.

For the relatively small price difference between the 60 MB/s and the 90 MB/s versions of the Sandisk cards, it's probably worth is to get the faster one.  The great sale at B&H got a little less great - last night, when you added a card to your cart there was an additional discount - $5 on the 16 GB cards, $10 on the 32 GB 60 MB/s, and $13 on the 32 GB 90 MB/s.  This morning, that additional discount seems to be gone - cart price is the same as browsing price.  Fortunately, I got my pair of 32 GB 90 MB/s cards last night.  :D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

NXT1000

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 07:22:27 AM »
Just wondering what the maximum size of CF card I can use in the 5D2 with the latest firmware?  I've been told its 32GB, is this correct or can I use 64GB cards?

i think they use FAT32 right, so the max size is 8TB. I am sure the camera can use any CF card available. The question is, can you afford it?

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 09:06:19 AM »
i think they use FAT32 right, so the max size is 8TB. I am sure the camera can use any CF card available. The question is, can you afford it?

You would think so...  but apparently not all 32gb and 64gb CF cards work with all CF-compatible cameras.  So, it's important to check.  I think the Nikons have greater restrictions than the Canons do.  I'm not sure why, but that's how it is.

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »

I know the question is regarding size but since the speed was mentioned, just remember, your 5DMkII (and 7D etc) has a built-in buffer so you don't need these expensive high speed cards like the Extreme Pro (90 MB/S) or arguably for the 5DMKII at only 3.9FPS, not even the Extreme (60 MB/S).  You can take a 7D shooting RAW at 8 FPS -15 RAW max consecutively (2x the 5DMkII, albeit slightly smaller files (18MP vs 21MP)) and fire off almost the limit (b/t 10-12 RAW shots consecutively) with the slower 30 MB/S cards due to the buffering.  Now could you keep going and going without stopping? ...of course not...not with the 7D (let alone 1D) at least but probably can on the slower 5DII or close to it, haven't tested it that way.  I have various SanDisk and Lexar mid-high cards including the Extreme Pro and now only buy the Extreme 60MB/S, not for the write speed as much as for the read speed when uploading images to LightRoom or other external disk.  I also shoot outdoors a lot and in wet and sometimes very cold conditions and supposedly the Extreme is sealed a little better than the Ultra (or so they market it that way)  The UDMA Cl.5/6 for read/upload is a value add, but in real-world scenarios with a 3.9 FPS camera (or a 10FPS camera for that matter), the write speed isn't required...save your money.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 10:30:38 AM »

I know the question is regarding size but since the speed was mentioned, just remember, your 5DMkII (and 7D etc) has a built-in buffer so you don't need these expensive high speed cards like the Extreme Pro (90 MB/S) or arguably for the 5DMKII at only 3.9FPS, not even the Extreme (60 MB/S).  You can take a 7D shooting RAW at 8 FPS -15 RAW max consecutively (2x the 5DMkII, albeit slightly smaller files (18MP vs 21MP)) and fire off almost the limit (b/t 10-12 RAW shots consecutively) with the slower 30 MB/S cards due to the buffering.  Now could you keep going and going without stopping? ...of course not...not with the 7D (let alone 1D) at least but probably can on the slower 5DII or close to it, haven't tested it that way.  ...The UDMA Cl.5/6 for read/upload is a value add, but in real-world scenarios with a 3.9 FPS camera (or a 10FPS camera for that matter), the write speed isn't required...save your money.

How about buffer flush?  Say you hold down the shutter until the buffer fills, then release the shutter.  At that point, the camera reads BUSY and you can't take another shot until a sufficient amount of data in the buffer is written off to the card.  So, in that scenario, a faster card may mean you can take another shot sooner, right?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »

I know the question is regarding size but since the speed was mentioned, just remember, your 5DMkII (and 7D etc) has a built-in buffer so you don't need these expensive high speed cards like the Extreme Pro (90 MB/S) or arguably for the 5DMKII at only 3.9FPS, not even the Extreme (60 MB/S).  You can take a 7D shooting RAW at 8 FPS -15 RAW max consecutively (2x the 5DMkII, albeit slightly smaller files (18MP vs 21MP)) and fire off almost the limit (b/t 10-12 RAW shots consecutively) with the slower 30 MB/S cards due to the buffering.  Now could you keep going and going without stopping? ...of course not...not with the 7D (let alone 1D) at least but probably can on the slower 5DII or close to it, haven't tested it that way.  ...The UDMA Cl.5/6 for read/upload is a value add, but in real-world scenarios with a 3.9 FPS camera (or a 10FPS camera for that matter), the write speed isn't required...save your money.

How about buffer flush?  Say you hold down the shutter until the buffer fills, then release the shutter.  At that point, the camera reads BUSY and you can't take another shot until a sufficient amount of data in the buffer is written off to the card.  So, in that scenario, a faster card may mean you can take another shot sooner, right?

Yep, exactly, that is what I meant by "could you keep going and going without stopping? ...of course not."  If you want to hold the button down on a 5DMkII for 5 minutes and snap 1,000+ RAW pics almost continuously, you need a high speed card...no question...but who does that with a 3.9FPS camera? - which is why I used "real world scenarios" which I realize is a subjective term but assuming a 5DMKII shooter isn't shooting race cars or sports as a faster 7D/1D user might.  My only point is to remember the buffer and that if you just want the ability to fire off 10-15 RAW consecutive pics from time to time, the buffer should handle it on a 30 MB/s card, that's all.  ...especially with the 5DMkII at only 3.9 FPS.  ...and 60MB/S is PLENTY though 30MB/S should cover 99% of scenarios with a 3.9 FPS camera....can't fathom what scenario you would need a 90+MB/S write on a 3.9 FPS camera with buffer unless you just want to take hundreds of RAW pics consecutively in which case you'd be using the wrong equipment with a 3.9 FPS camera (5DMkII) and be better off with a faster 7D or 1D.  Again I'm only talking about write speed need, there is certainly value in the faster read (UDMA 5/6+) of the faster cards as well which is even more important to some shooters depending on assignment/timelines etc...I just don't notice any difference between the 60 MB/s and 90 MB/s cards used with either a 5DII or 7D in RAW and my (older) SanDisk Extreme III 30 MB/s, (newer) SanDisk Ultra 30 MB/s, and Lexar Plat.II (200x) cards work just as well in 99% of situations though the read time does take noticeably longer to upload to LR3/external drive than the UDMA 5/6 Extreme/Pro 60Mb/90Mb/s do if you're uploading an entire shoot, say 400-500 pics....but we're talking an extra 30-90 seconds or so depending on your PC/card reader...not 15-20 minutes etc... so again...what is that worth to you personally, your style of shooting, your post/edit requirements?... it may be nothing or it may be EVERYTHING (journalist with breaking news pics, etc).  I'm just submitting the idea that for the vast majority of shooters in overwhelmingly majority of shooting situations, it's not remotely necessary to have a super high speed card.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »