October 26, 2014, 01:09:04 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M3 in Q3 of 2014?  (Read 11595 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS M3 in Q3 of 2014?
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:38:07 AM »

Northlight has posted 2 EOS M cameras potentially coming in Q3 of 2014, which would make it a Photokina camera.

The 2 models will be split into entry level and prosumer. Canon has said they’re committed to the EOS M system and will continue to develop cameras and lenses. Perhaps this will once again be the “relaunch” we were told was going to happen with the EOS M2, which turned out not to be the case.

Source: [NL]

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS M3 in Q3 of 2014?
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:38:07 AM »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M3 in Q3 of 2014?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:44:35 AM »
The 2 models will be split into entry level and prosumer.

Who cares? Just give us ONE camera that is on par with the FUJIFILM X-E2, Olympus E-P5, Sony A6000 and Panasonic GX7 ... as a minimum. Then add weather-sealing as the trump card.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:11:26 AM »

Who cares? Just give us ONE camera that is on par with the FUJIFILM X-E2, Olympus E-P5, Sony A6000 and Panasonic GX7 ... as a minimum. Then add weather-sealing as the trump card.

+1
Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:21:41 AM »

and hopefully the prosumer model will NOT be the 7D2......
The best camera is the one in your hands

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 08:30:16 AM »
Who cares? Just give us ONE camera

You should care: mirrorless is the future of Canon's camera business; more to the point, it's the future profit of Canon's camera business.  Success of mirrorless mean more ¥¥, which means happy executives; and happy executives means (at least in Japan) more R&D ¥¥ for the full camera line.  Canon cannot succeed financially by producing just the camera equipment you want at a price you are willing to pay.  You should cheer every successful Rebel and PowerShot if you want more R&D for DSRL-type equipment.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »
...mirrorless is the future of Canon's camera business; more to the point, it's the future profit of Canon's camera business.

Is it?  Mirrorless meant the 'death of the dSLR in five years'.  That was seven years ago.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 09:08:17 AM »
I hope that one of them will be FF with dual pixel AF :).
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 09:08:17 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 09:11:33 AM »

Still not enough, even Fuji going FF mirrorless. Sony has raised the bar in mirrorless world...others are playing catchup.

Edit: Sony out sold Canon in ONE country ;D
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/korea-sony-sells-more-system-cameras-than-canon/

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:20:18 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 09:13:34 AM »
...mirrorless is the future of Canon's camera business; more to the point, it's the future profit of Canon's camera business.

Is it?  Mirrorless meant the 'death of the dSLR in five years'.  That was seven years ago.

Depends on how you define "mirrorless."  I define it the simple way: no mirror.  The mirror will go away.  When?  I'm willing to speculate, but not predict, and it will be an evolution, not a sudden event.  We've seen some great AF advances lately, and the battery life issue is just a matter of continued incremental progress.

Are you willing to assert that there will still be a large market in reflex cameras in twenty years?

You may have been trying to suggest that, even if mirroless is the future, profit is based on nearish future, not far future, and Canon could afford to delay M- development until it's closer.  That would be a reasonable argument, but you didn't make it.  Instead you argued that "people were wrong before about mirrorless, therefore..."

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:13:50 AM »
I hope that one of them will be FF with dual pixel AF :).

Now, that sounds "promosing" for Canon in term of mirrorless. Many Canon shooters are way too deep into the EF L lenses. To attract current DSLR users, just add an EF adapter to it.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:55:17 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »
After shooting with my EOS M for the past 9 months or so I'm starting to see the appeal of mirrorless and yeah I would like to see more M releases. I guess a FF M is too much to hope for!

My M comes with me almost everywhere, and due to that simple reason it gets more use than my 5D2 these days. But it doesn't replace the need for a DSLR completely - heck not even close. Something like an A7 / A7R might though and I would be very interested in a mirrorless EF mount camera from Canon. Even if it was APS-C but good APS-C, know what I mean? Would be just the ticket for traveling.

However, I can see Canon would want to keep the EOS M at a level below or close to the rebels. The direction they're aiming for is apparent in the M2 - even smaller and more compact but an incremental change. Hard to believe they'll release something groundbreaking, suddenly.

I so hope I'm wrong!
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:50 AM »

Depends on how you define "mirrorless."  I define it the simple way: no mirror.  The mirror will go away.  When?  I'm willing to speculate, but not predict, and it will be an evolution, not a sudden event.  We've seen some great AF advances lately, and the battery life issue is just a matter of continued incremental progress.

Are you willing to assert that there will still be a large market in reflex cameras in twenty years?

You may have been trying to suggest that, even if mirroless is the future, profit is based on nearish future, not far future, and Canon could afford to delay M- development until it's closer.  That would be a reasonable argument, but you didn't make it.  Instead you argued that "people were wrong before about mirrorless, therefore..."

Depends on how you define "future."   ;)   Canon has told us the future is video camera with a small, ultrahigh resolution sensor, a big zoom lens, phenomenal image stabilization, and frame grabs for still images.  Of course, as a video camera it fits your definition of mirrorless…

Yes, the reflex mirror will go away at some point, some time after the point where performance of EVFs meets or exceeds that of OVFs (that's a ways off), and image sensor AF performance meets or exceeds that of a dedicated phase AF sensor for both static and moving subjects (we're getting closer to that).  But today's common use of term "mirrorless" does not match your definition as simply 'having no mirror'.  "Mirrorless" is generally taken as a shorthand descriptor for the class of cameras known as MILCs, compact system cameras, etc.  If you're going to use a term in a way that differs from convention, it's helpful to provide your definition at the outset. 

Sensor size will remain important, as will ergonomics.  If you want to have a lens with a large aperture to cover a full frame sensor's image circle, you're going to need a physically large lens.  Put a small camera behind that lens, the ergonomics are poor (ask anyone who's mounted an f/2.8 zoom on the EOS M).  Cameras that are similar in size to today's dSLRs, but don't have a reflex mirror, will come along eventually.  We won't be able to call them dSLRs (technically), but they won't fit today's definition of "mirrorless" either.

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 09:50:30 AM »
Who cares? Just give us ONE camera

You should care: mirrorless is the future of Canon's camera business; more to the point, it's the future profit of Canon's camera business.  Success of mirrorless mean more ¥¥, which means happy executives; and happy executives means (at least in Japan) more R&D ¥¥ for the full camera line.  Canon cannot succeed financially by producing just the camera equipment you want at a price you are willing to pay.  You should cheer every successful Rebel and PowerShot if you want more R&D for DSRL-type equipment.

The EOS-M was the best that Canon, with all its superior resources and technology, could come up with. So how the heck are they gonna handle TWO models, one if which is supposed to be "prosumer" (whatever that is) level. Plus, if Canon is not going to release L EF-M lenses, then how do they intend competing with FUJIFILM, Olympus and Panasonic for the "prosumer" market, huh?

As Dylan777 says:
... others are playing catchup.

This includes Canon. The mirrorless offerings from FUJIFILM, Olympus, Panasonic and Sony, which already surpass Canon's "Rebel" series of DSLR cameras, are available NOW. The EOS-M isn't. Yet Canon might possibly offer the same by Q3 in 2014. IMNSHO, it won't. It'll be another crippled fiasco ... without lenses.

Canon cannot succeed financially by producing just the camera equipment you want at a price you are willing to pay.

Correct, which is why I'm switching to FUJIFILM ... 'cause they produce just the camera equipment I want at a price I am willing to pay.

You should cheer every successful Rebel and PowerShot if you want more R&D for DSRL-type equipment.

Actually, I was cheering about every new camera from Olympus and FUJIFILM that sold like hotcakes covered with chocolate syrup ... 'cause those successes led to these respective companies finally making a camera (and companion lenses) as I want it. On the flipside, every successful "Rebel" made kept Canon in the past and it finally lost them (Canon) at least one big-mouthed, opinionated user/customer who no longer recommends their products to others.  :D
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 09:50:30 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 09:56:39 AM »
The EOS-M was the best that Canon, with all its superior resources and technology, could come up with. So how the heck are they gonna handle TWO models, one if which is supposed to be "prosumer" (whatever that is) level. Plus, if Canon is not going to release L EF-M lenses, then how do they intend competing with FUJIFILM, Olympus and Panasonic for the "prosumer" market, huh?

Canon seems to have made a limited investment in mirrorless, to date.  Still, in Japan – one of the largest mirrorless markets – the EOS M outsold every MILC model from Fuji, Olympus, and Panasonic for 2013. 

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 09:58:21 AM »
... even if mirroless is the future, profit is based on nearish future, not far future, and Canon could afford to delay M- development until it's closer.

Problem with that kind of corporate financial theoretical thinking is that it only works if you (i.e. Canon) are the only game in town. Canon isn't and everyone who wants decent mirrorless right now are switching systems to other manufacturers, i.e. Canon is losing customers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 09:58:21 AM »