October 21, 2014, 05:46:47 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M3 in Q3 of 2014?  (Read 11545 times)

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M3 in Q3 of 2014?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 10:55:44 AM »
Oh, please. Fuji's new (X-T1) horrible non-bayer detail-smearing-sensor (even in RAW) is the least impressive cake of all.

To take a lead from neuroanatomist (i.e. argumentum ad populum): The way the X-T1 is selling not many people would agree with you, thus your opinion is negligible.  ;)
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 10:55:44 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
"Full-frame" is everything, right? But what about the Sony A7/A7S then, huh?

What metrics?

What about them?  The Sony A7 line is a small fraction of the mirrorless market.  Again, you are thinking from the perspective of an individual buying one camera, and Canon is considering the perspective of millions of people buying all sorts of cameras.

Many of the mirrorless offerings are m4/3, which is smaller than APS-C. 

Sensor size isn't all that matters.  AF performance, battery life, native lens selection, etc., are all factors that many people consider when choosing a camera.

Let's wait for the 2014 stats, shall we? Just so's the Olympus E-M1 and E-M10, the Sony A7 and A7S, and the FUJIFILM X-T1 can be factored in.

You can wait if you want.  For Jan/Feb 2014, MILCs are still hovering at around 10% of the total market.  I doubt the cameras you mention will have a significant impact on that, since only one of them is under $1K, and even that one (the E-M10) costs more than entry-level dSLRs.  It's really the lower end, entry-level systems that drive the bulk of the market. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »
I don't disagree with the essence of what you are saying. Although I do think the jury is still out on whether or not EVFs will ever outperform and replace OVFs.

It seems to me the Optical View Finder is a pretty elegant solution that's been around for a long time (over 100 years in some form or another and well over 50 as the dominant format for 35mm). It relies on physics, not electronics, and has lots of advantages.

I do think EVFs will improve to the point where they replace OVFs.  Not because they're the latest thing, but because the do offer significant advantages.  Those advantages are just not enough to outweight the disadvantages, yet (IMO).  An EVF doesn't need zero lag, it just needs a lag short enough to be imperceptible.  DR is an issue that can also be overcome.  Consider the 'intelligent VF' in the recent Canon bodies - the transmissive LCD overlay is there to provide additional information in the OVF, like a level, grid lines, etc. That's very useful, but an EVF can offer a lot more, such as live histogram (which can obviate the DR issue), focus peaking, instant focus check with a 10x zoom at half-press, etc. 

cellomaster27

• EOS M2
  • Capture the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »
Ooh! Finally a canon related rumor!! Lol this is pretty exciting actually. Think canon won't make such a huge blunder like they did with the eos-m. I need this and adapter. Maybe canon will release the 11-22mm with the m3 to US?  Rumor G.A.S?  ;D

100D, EOS M, EF-M 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM f3.5-5.6, EF 28mm f1.8 USM, EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM, EF 40mm f2.8 STM, EF 85mm f.18 USM, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430 EX II, kata 3n-1 22, triggers, lighting, stands, remotes, etc...

lycan

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 11:27:09 AM »
As a hardcore Canon fan, I find it harder and harder to recomend Canon cameras these days unless they pretend to shoot sports and/or wildlife.

If I was going to buy my 1st camera today and all I wanted was landscape and portraits (most common things people shoot) I wouldn't by Canon. I'd buy Sony or Fuji

Sony and fuji are on the vanguard. They are innovating and releasing exciting things to the market. Canon and Nikon are starting to look like the old relative that doesn't keep up with the new market tendencies

cellomaster27

• EOS M2
  • Capture the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »
As a hardcore Canon fan, I find it harder and harder to recomend Canon cameras these days unless they pretend to shoot sports and/or wildlife.

If I was going to buy my 1st camera today and all I wanted was landscape and portraits (most common things people shoot) I wouldn't by Canon. I'd buy Sony or Fuji

Sony and fuji are on the vanguard. They are innovating and releasing exciting things to the market. Canon and Nikon are starting to look like the old relative that doesn't keep up with the new market tendencies

Assuming that you're talking about mirror less, yes. Song a7r.. Well now a7s. Heck yeah! But dslrs are a different breed.
100D, EOS M, EF-M 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM f3.5-5.6, EF 28mm f1.8 USM, EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM, EF 40mm f2.8 STM, EF 85mm f.18 USM, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430 EX II, kata 3n-1 22, triggers, lighting, stands, remotes, etc...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »
Canon and Nikon are starting to look like the old relative that doesn't keep up with the new market tendencies

Yep, the rich old relative that will be drinking fine wine and feasting on pâté and aged cheeses long after the young relatives have nearly starved to death on a diet of water, canned tuna and Velveeta (aka the 10% market share they're fighting over like dogs).   :P  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 11:47:28 AM »
Again, you are thinking from the perspective of an individual buying one camera, and Canon is considering the perspective of millions of people buying all sorts of cameras.

Individuals buy cameras. Individuals are influenced by other individuals ... as well as by corporate marketing, but individuals carry more weight. And so on. Oh, who cares anyway?
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 11:55:17 AM »
Yep, the rich old relative that will be drinking fine wine and feasting on pâté and aged cheeses ...

I see Canon's marketing dept. really earned their salaries with you.  ;)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »
Individuals buy cameras. Individuals are influenced by other individuals ... as well as by corporate marketing, but individuals carry more weight. And so on. Oh, who cares anyway?

Individuals buy cameras.  For every individual that buys a MILC, there are 4 individuals that buy a dSLR and 17 individuals that buy a P&S.

Populations drive corporate bottom lines.  Canon cares…about the camera market.  But not about you and the people you influence, nor about me and the people I influence, the number of which doesn't even rise to the level of meaningless insignificance on the scale of the global camera market.

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 12:04:28 PM »
Well, Yes, I will buy EOS-M MK III , Yes, I fell in love with EOS-M MK I about 2 months already, And Skip MK II, and will get MK III as soon as on the Market.
I do not care If canon change only Color-----Well,  If canon give us better AF speed, Less waiting time to shoot the second Photo  and Higher ISO , and that will be the Great Plus for all of us.
Have a great work week for all of my friends.
Surapon
PS, These 3 Photos below,  from EOS-M-MK I with EF-M 18-55 IS MACRO---Set Camera AV mode at F= 8.0 ISO= 100, ( Camera Auto set SS = 1/ 125 sec) ,Hand held shooting----You can see = Why ?---I love this camera and kit Lens.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:07:36 PM by surapon »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 12:11:02 PM »
Populations drive corporate bottom lines.  Canon cares…about the camera market.  But not about you and the people you influence, nor about me and the people I influence, the number of which doesn't even rise to the level of meaningless insignificance on the scale of the global camera market.

This viewpoint is exactly why all companies eventually fail, unless they diversify into new markets.

I take that, as a biologist, you understand exponential growth of populations. Well, in the social sciences we have the same concept, only relating to ideas, behaviour, beliefs, customs and such. So, the number of people I directly influence might on itself be irrelevant, but then they also influence people and so on ... thousands and millions.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
Who cares? Just give us ONE camera

You should care: mirrorless is the future of Canon's camera business; more to the point, it's the future profit of Canon's camera business.  Success of mirrorless mean more ¥¥, which means happy executives; and happy executives means (at least in Japan) more R&D ¥¥ for the full camera line.  Canon cannot succeed financially by producing just the camera equipment you want at a price you are willing to pay.  You should cheer every successful Rebel and PowerShot if you want more R&D for DSRL-type equipment.

marketing 101 - segment your market.  Extra maximum profit from each.

Would you be happy if there was only 1 car, a high priced car for the enthusiasts?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »

This viewpoint is exactly why all companies eventually fail, unless they diversify into new markets.

I take that, as a biologist, you understand exponential growth of populations. Well, in the social sciences we have the same concept, only relating to ideas, behaviour, beliefs, customs and such. So, the number of people I directly influence might on itself be irrelevant, but then they also influence people and so on ... thousands and millions.

First off, I think you may be overstating the impact of that influence on camera buying decisions.  Are you suggesting that every person to whom you recommend the Fuji XT-1 will buy one, or that no one else may be telling that same person to buy a Canon 650D?  That seems unliklely.  Influence works both ways.  Importantly, it works by observation - Canon's position as the market leader means if you go out and look, you're more likely to see a Canon camera in someone's hands than one made by Fuji, Olympus or Panasonic. 

Second, and more importantly, it's obvious that Canon is diversified into many markets, from imaging systems to industrial equipment.  Their imaging systems business encompasses P&S, ILCs, camcorders, cinema and broadcast, printers, etc.  As I stated above, Canon's EOS M was bought by more people in Japan last year than any MILC made by Fuji, Olympus or Panasonic.  So not only does Canon have a presence in that market segment, it's actually a rather successful presence. 

You just happen to like a Fuji camera better, and somehow that's led you to the conclusion that Canon is doomed?   ::)  (Well, maybe I extrapolated from your statements just a bit for dramatic effect…)

LookingThroughMyLens81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »
Make the SL1 design mirrorless with a more solid body and your problems are solved. EF/EF-S lens compatibility and a form-factor that people are familiar with and like.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »