September 26, 2017, 09:02:00 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M3 in Q3 of 2014?  (Read 36084 times)

mkabi

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: Canon EOS M3 in Q3 of 2014?
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »

The primary benefit of mirrorless for me is not size, it's being able to accurately manual focus at f1.4 with the viewfinder.

You don't need mirrorless for that... you need focus peaking...
Install ML or grab yourself  one of these:  http://www.amazon.com/Swivi-SV-50H-II-External-Monitor/dp/B00E3VSA7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397511395&sr=8-1&keywords=Swivi+screen

Though I don't know if either will work well for pictures, but it should...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXWz0rvWC-w
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:42:40 PM by mkabi »
Sold my Canon DSLRs waiting on my RED Raven preorder. EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 100mm L f/2.8 Macro, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »

RGomezPhotos

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2014, 05:47:57 PM »
FF in MILC isn't everything. An APS-C is totally cool as well. But the problem that many people don't realize is the the Bokeh you lose with APS-C at smaller apertures. I have to give Tony Northrup props for creating a great video on this issue. Basically, the bokeh at f2 on FF is equal to f3.2 on APS-C. Which isn't too bad if you didn't need to crank it up to f4 to get decent sharpness from most lenses. Then your bokeh is up to f6.4 FF equiv. Which sucks for portraits.

I just can't buy an APS-C MILC unless it has an sharp lens f1.4-2.8 and 24mm - 70mm. Or fixed prime at f2 and 50mm. I can do lots with that!

http://youtu.be/f5zN6NVx-hY
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
You should care: mirrorless is the future of Canon's camera business; more to the point, it's the future profit of Canon's camera business.

It's amazing how people keep saying things like this even though the mirrorless market has failed to materialize in the U.S. and Europe, and is still a side market in Japan.

And this is coming from someone who loves his EOS M, wants to see more EOS M bodies and lenses, and thinks mirrorless in general is underrated by the public.

The DSLR isn't going any where, and Canon's profits will continue to come from brisk Rebel sales.

I'm not saying that current tech is good enough to replace the reflex system right now, or even next year.   However, a modern SLR with live view is almost exactly the same as a MILC plus a mirror plus an OVF.  As AF, EVF and battery issues are addressed, what manufacturer would choose to add costly and redundant mechanical parts to its products?  In other words, the mirror assembly has been a very effective kluge for several decades, but it's time to move on.  The only question is how long it will take for each of the different lines. 

If Canon develops live view AF that rivals their PD AF, you can bet they'll get that tech into the next 1-series body as fast as they can: what sports shooter would not want the ability shoot at 30fps with continuous AF?  They'll have Nikon shooters switching in droves.  (yes, I know the current sustained fps bottleneck is memory throughput, but mirror movement is also an impediment)

As for EVF lag, the eye itself has a 100ms lag.  There's at least one MFT EVF today that has only 30ms lag.   If you cut that to 15ms you'd probably not notice any lag.

We can't predict exactly when the tech will reach the level needed to fully replace reflex, but the days of the mirror are numbered.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »
...the mirror assembly has been a very effective kluge for several decades

I'd hardly call it a kludge...that term more accurately applies to current EVFs, with their low resolution (you can see individual pixels with the naked eye), poor DR, etc. 

When shooting in eagles sub-freezing temps with my 1D X, the LCD stopped working...but the OVF didn't, and I kept on shooting.  It would have been hard to track an eagle in flight with the AoV of a 1200mm lens and no viewfinder.

Kludge, indeed.  ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2014, 06:56:04 PM »
...the mirror assembly has been a very effective kluge for several decades

I'd hardly call it a kludge..
You caught me, I should have put a smiley face next to it.  I meant it as hyperbole/humor.  Those things don't translate to the Interwebs very well.  Yes, it has been effective tech for its time.  It will be replaced, eventually, by  more effective tech.

.that term more accurately applies to current EVFs, with their low resolution (you can see individual pixels with the naked eye), poor DR, etc. 
I was clear that current EVF tech is not yet a suitable replacement.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2014, 10:28:38 PM »
the more I use the eos-M the more i like it and the more i get used to working around its sluggish AF and am quite happy without a viewfinder actually except in very harsh sunlight.

for a future M I would like to see the following improvements

1) change the mode dial to a function dial it's in a usefull spot and currently all it does is select between auto video and camera a wheel here to select aperture, shutter speed or iso would be much more usefull

2) make the record button able to be set as back button focus in stills mode

3) use the 70D sensor and improved dual pixel AF

4) add a tilty flippy screen

5) don't add a viewfinder built in it will make the camera bigger instead add a seperate external EVF option this will keep most people happy... maybe

6) add a jack for a remote cable release. not putting one on the M was stupid (or increase the timer to allow settings far beyond 30 seconds in liu of a bulb mode).

7) it would be nice if they could make it a bit less power hungry
APS-H Fanboy

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2014, 10:59:30 PM »
6) add a jack for a remote cable release. not putting one on the M was stupid (or increase the timer to allow settings far beyond 30 seconds in liu of a bulb mode).

FWIW, the little Canon IR remotes (RC-1/5/6) work with the EOS-M, and can be used to trigger bulb mode exposures (first press starts exposure, second press ends it).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2014, 10:59:30 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2014, 11:07:27 PM »

FWIW, the little Canon IR remotes (RC-1/5/6) work with the EOS-M, and can be used to trigger bulb mode exposures (first press starts exposure, second press ends it).

haha awesome, you're a legend :) I have an RC5 but didnt know it had that function so that helps me out alot !
APS-H Fanboy

Zv

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2014, 02:07:10 AM »

haha awesome, you're a legend :) I have an RC5 but didnt know it had that function so that helps me out alot !

Another handy way to trigger it if you are in a pinch is to use the touch shutter with 2s timer. Works even in manual focus mode. The softer touch of a finger on the LCD is better than pressing the shutter button. I haven't tried this in bulb mode though.

Also ML lets you do all kinds of bulb mode action. Totally worth installing it on the M.
Move along nothing to see here!

Sella174

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • So there!
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2014, 02:39:29 AM »
LEICA is always the ol' rusty nail that deflates the whole argument against the profitability of niche markets, aren't they?

Who's arguing that niche markets are unprofitable?  They can be quite profitable, if managed (aka exploited) properly.  The 1-series bodies are a niche market, the 1D C even more so – and they're priced for Canon to profit from them. Ferrari has been in business for a long time. 

My statement was a non sequitur;)

Anyway, your insistence that mirrorless only accounts for an irrelevant 10% of total sales is counter-intuitive to your acknowledgement that niche markets can be profitable.

BTW, isn't Ferrari owned by FIAT?  ???

The thing that needs to be deflated is some people's idea that niche market high-end gear should be sold to them as mass-market prices.

The inverse also counts ... selling mass-market goods at niche market prices.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

Sella174

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • So there!
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2014, 02:43:59 AM »
But the problem that many people don't realize is the the Bokeh you lose with APS-C at smaller apertures. ... Basically, the bokeh at f2 on FF is equal to f3.2 on APS-C. ... Then your bokeh is up to f6.4 FF equiv.

Bokeh ... I do not think that word means what you think it means.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

Sella174

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • So there!
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2014, 02:47:04 AM »
However, a modern SLR with live view is almost exactly the same as a MILC plus a mirror plus an OVF.

No, it is not.

Sella174

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • So there!
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2014, 02:53:53 AM »
When shooting in eagles sub-freezing temps with my 1D X, the LCD stopped working...but the OVF didn't, and I kept on shooting.

The Olympus E-M1 is rated for -10°C (minus ten degrees Celsius); the FUJIFILM X-T1 as well. But the Lord of DSLR's (i.e. the Canon EOS 1D X) is only rated to 0°C .... bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2014, 02:53:53 AM »

SeppOz

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2014, 05:33:03 AM »
Actually really hoping this rumor comes true, along with a few more lenses.  Really like the size, but would like a bit more response and the video features of the 70D in the next one.
The young casual photographers in my family are part of the "iSwipe" generation.  Give them a choice of a compact (S95), SLR crop or FF, and the EOS-m they'll go for the m  (cute, takes good pictures, easy to use, not bulky).  I've had more than one person ask me for a recommendation for something better than a phone, but not as big as an SLR.  So hopefully that will translate into a market that Canon will chase hard in the coming years.
Canon and other gear.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2014, 07:20:41 AM »
LEICA is always the ol' rusty nail that deflates the whole argument against the profitability of niche markets, aren't they?

Who's arguing that niche markets are unprofitable?  They can be quite profitable, if managed (aka exploited) properly.  The 1-series bodies are a niche market, the 1D C even more so – and they're priced for Canon to profit from them. Ferrari has been in business for a long time. 

My statement was a non sequitur;)

Anyway, your insistence that mirrorless only accounts for an irrelevant 10% of total sales is counter-intuitive to your acknowledgement that niche markets can be profitable.

BTW, isn't Ferrari owned by FIAT?  ???

10% of camera sales is not a niche market.  Medium format is a niche market, there are ~7000 sold per year, that's ~0.1% of all cameras.  Ferrari makes just over 7000 cars per year (and yes, they're owned by Fiat, as are Chrysler and many other brands).

Mirrorless isn't a niche market, it's just a small market segment...and it's not as if Canon is ignoring it.  As we've established (even if not everyone acknowledges it!), Canon is already successful in that market - Japan accounts for >25% of worldwide mirrorless sales, is the only region with double-digit y/y growth in the mirrorless segment (most other regions dropped), and Canon had the #2 mirrorless camera in Japan last year.

When shooting in eagles sub-freezing temps with my 1D X, the LCD stopped working...but the OVF didn't, and I kept on shooting.
The Olympus E-M1 is rated for -10°C (minus ten degrees Celsius); the FUJIFILM X-T1 as well. But the Lord of DSLR's (i.e. the Canon EOS 1D X) is only rated to 0°C ....

I'm not sure Canon's environmental specs tell the whole story.  The PowerShot D30 is rated up to 90% humidity...and it's waterproof to 82' / 25 m (eighty-two feet / twenty-five meters). 

How well would the Olympus E-M1 do at tracking birds in flight?  More importantly, what is the operating temperature range for the Olympus 600mm f/4 lens?  Oh, wait...   ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2014, 07:20:41 AM »