September 01, 2014, 11:13:18 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M3 in Q3 of 2014?  (Read 10747 times)

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M3 in Q3 of 2014?
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2014, 07:16:16 PM »
Looks like Canon is pasting feathers on a turkey hoping it will fly.  They ought to lay off the whole group that
worked on this - and then fire the management team that approved it.

So, what you're saying is that if you don't like a particular product, no one else will want it?  Wow, with marketing insight like yours, I'd think companies would pay you piles of cash to help them develop their products.

In case you've been too lazy to read, there are several people on this forum, including serious pros, who like their M quite a bit. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2014, 07:16:16 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2014, 07:33:05 PM »
Looks like Canon is pasting feathers on a turkey hoping it will fly.  They ought to lay off the whole group that

I guess you missed the point that the EOS M was the second best-selling MILC in Japan (which alone accounts for >25% of the MILC market) last year, beating out all models by Fuji, Olympus, and Panasonic, and behind Sony's best-selling model by only a narrow margin.

But you didn't like it, so it was a failure.  ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

weixing

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »
Hi,
    For your info, wild turkey can fly... :P

Have a nice day.

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »
Hi,

Have a nice day.

Yep.  I've seen them perched high in the pine trees at our summer place.  Guess I'll have to get a photo one of these days.
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
Hi,

Have a nice day.

Yep.  I've seen them perched high in the pine trees at our summer place.  Guess I'll have to get a photo one of these days.

Now, now...give dickgrafixstop a break.  Maybe all that time spent standing in the rain, staring up open-mouthed at the sky, made him forget the other things turkeys do.   ;)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »
When shooting in eagles sub-freezing temps with my 1D X, the LCD stopped working...but the OVF didn't, and I kept on shooting.

The Olympus E-M1 is rated for -10°C (minus ten degrees Celsius); the FUJIFILM X-T1 as well. But the Lord of DSLR's (i.e. the Canon EOS 1D X) is only rated to 0°C .... bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  ;)

And my Olympus TG-830 is rated for -10C, works underwater, and has a special "cat mode" for taking pet pictures... now if it only had underwater "cat mode"..... (something Fluffy would regret) Bwahahahahahaha glub glub glub glub....
The best camera is the one in your hands

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
...has a special "cat mode" for taking pet pictures...

I have a friend who could really use that.  She takes cat pictures by the hundreds!

To be fair, she owns a pet-sitting business and they're 'look, Fluffy is doing fine' pics for the vacationing pet parents, but still...HUNDREDS OF CAT PICTURES!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2014, 11:17:16 PM »
...has a special "cat mode" for taking pet pictures...

I have a friend who could really use that.  She takes cat pictures by the hundreds!

To be fair, she owns a pet-sitting business and they're 'look, Fluffy is doing fine' pics for the vacationing pet parents, but still...HUNDREDS OF CAT PICTURES!!!

For 18 hours a day "cat mode" is the same as "still-life mode."   :D

justaCanonuser

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2014, 04:27:57 AM »
Reading many posts here I think this forum should be really renamed in canonbashers.com  ;)

Forget about those bulky mirrorless things, that's only intermediate technology 2.0 (with loud bangin' mechanical shutters, how primitive) after DSLRs. My personal prospect for the future of digital photography and videography is eye-implant surgery. Since more and more male hipster google glass wearers are beaten up by women, as happened recently in Frisco, the technology has to be hidden right in the eyes. I can imagine a mesh like retina implant that uses the space between the photoreceptor cells. Micromike implants in the ears. Wireless readout of data for sharing, this technology will of course include an in-eye 3D-projection of pictures and videos on demand. Telephoto simply by using binoculars.

So, how about a new Eyeos implant camera line, Canon? C'mon dumb Google...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:38:04 AM by justaCanonuser »
5D3, 7D, film: EOS 3, Nikon FM-2, lots of lenses from 18 to 500mm

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2014, 07:52:40 AM »
Reading many posts here I think this forum should be really renamed in canonbashers.com  ;)

Forget about those bulky mirrorless things, that's only intermediate technology 2.0 (with loud bangin' mechanical shutters, how primitive) after DSLRs. My personal prospect for the future of digital photography and videography is eye-implant surgery. Since more and more male hipster google glass wearers are beaten up by women, as happened recently in Frisco, the technology has to be hidden right in the eyes. I can imagine a mesh like retina implant that uses the space between the photoreceptor cells. Micromike implants in the ears. Wireless readout of data for sharing, this technology will of course include an in-eye 3D-projection of pictures and videos on demand. Telephoto simply by using binoculars.

So, how about a new Eyeos implant camera line, Canon? C'mon dumb Google...

I have a photographic memory so I can skip that surgery stuff too. Come on Canon imagineer something that allows me a direct upload link to the intercloud.... by next week please or your doomed

.... I'm gonna sing the doom song now  :P

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2014, 12:36:41 PM »

I guess you missed the point that the EOS M was the second best-selling MILC in Japan (which alone accounts for >25% of the MILC market) last year, beating out all models by Fuji, Olympus, and Panasonic, and behind Sony's best-selling model by only a narrow margin.

But you didn't like it, so it was a failure.  ::)

..and I'd argue it was the Japanese(and Asian) market than the M system so far was really designed for. That market seems more akin to DSLR sales in the west with lower end bodies(accept these lower end bodies lack viewfinders) making up most of the sales. The smaller mirrorless markets in the west seem based more around high end bodies with viewfinders.

To me the real strength of the Canon M system so far looks to be its focus on getting core lenses "right". Even moreso than with ASPC DSLR's I think its a core of maybe half a dozen lenses that a system really depends on for 95% of its sales. The kit lens especially becomes important since for many more advanced zooms aren't just too expensive but too large yet Sony seems to have delibaretly underdesigned there kit lenses to force upgrades whilst Canon's is far superior optically. Add in the cheap and excellent 22mm f/2 and a reasonabley cheap(cheaper than any alternative) 11-22mm IS that's also optically excellent and I think you already have a strong core, add in a slow tele zoom and a macro and I think you have most users needs covered.

Get the 70D sensor/AF will obviously help the system a lot but I think that if they do release a viewfinder body they shouldn't aim too high. Something a bit larger with a viewfinder and a few more controls but that can when the launch price cools down play into the good value of the lens system.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2014, 12:07:07 PM »
...mirrorless is the future of Canon's camera business; more to the point, it's the future profit of Canon's camera business.

Is it?  Mirrorless meant the 'death of the dSLR in five years'.  That was seven years ago.

Depends on how you define "mirrorless."  I define it the simple way: no mirror.  The mirror will go away.  When?  I'm willing to speculate, but not predict, and it will be an evolution, not a sudden event.  We've seen some great AF advances lately, and the battery life issue is just a matter of continued incremental progress.

Are you willing to assert that there will still be a large market in reflex cameras in twenty years?

You may have been trying to suggest that, even if mirroless is the future, profit is based on nearish future, not far future, and Canon could afford to delay M- development until it's closer.  That would be a reasonable argument, but you didn't make it.  Instead you argued that "people were wrong before about mirrorless, therefore..."

Depends on how you define "future."   ;)   Canon has told us the future is video camera with a small, ultrahigh resolution sensor, a big zoom lens, phenomenal image stabilization, and frame grabs for still images.  Of course, as a video camera it fits your definition of mirrorless…

Yes, the reflex mirror will go away at some point, some time after the point where performance of EVFs meets or exceeds that of OVFs (that's a ways off), and image sensor AF performance meets or exceeds that of a dedicated phase AF sensor for both static and moving subjects (we're getting closer to that).  But today's common use of term "mirrorless" does not match your definition as simply 'having no mirror'.  "Mirrorless" is generally taken as a shorthand descriptor for the class of cameras known as MILCs, compact system cameras, etc.  If you're going to use a term in a way that differs from convention, it's helpful to provide your definition at the outset. 

Sensor size will remain important, as will ergonomics.  If you want to have a lens with a large aperture to cover a full frame sensor's image circle, you're going to need a physically large lens.  Put a small camera behind that lens, the ergonomics are poor (ask anyone who's mounted an f/2.8 zoom on the EOS M).  Cameras that are similar in size to today's dSLRs, but don't have a reflex mirror, will come along eventually.  We won't be able to call them dSLRs (technically), but they won't fit today's definition of "mirrorless" either.

I can envision the future as high speed, high resolution cameras.  The distinction between video and high burst "still" photography will disappear.  Imagine 24, 30, 60 FPS at 25 MP.  Is that video or still?  does it matter?  Do we need an optical view finder for this camera or EVF or simply a LCD screen at the back of the camera. 

The rules of the game will be changing, just like digital changed the rules for film cameras.

The next 5-10 years will be very interesting and unfortunately expensive if you want to stay on the leading equipment edge.  But you will be rewarded.

Okay, time for me to put away my crystal ball

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2014, 12:07:07 PM »