July 23, 2014, 06:27:17 AM

Author Topic: The best tripod ...  (Read 6849 times)

AcutancePhotography

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: The best tripod ...
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »
After all, if there was one truly best tripod out there, all the manufacturers would be making it.  The very fact that there are different types of tripods out there at different material/desigh/cost levels seems to indicate that there is no one truly best tripod.   :D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »

ejenner

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 01:02:50 AM »
A tripod was the hardest choice I ever had in camera gear.  Every other decision was easy in comparison, but buying my 'good' tripod was nerve wracking.

As others have mentioned what is important to one person may not be to another.  I need light because I will hike with it.  I don't have large lenses for the same reason.  Hence since someone was mentioning gimbals heads what I got and like a lot might be useless for you.

If you have expensive gear, get a good tripod.  Personally I don't even think Manfroto are good value, but that's a personal thing.

Good luck.

Ed.

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »
I'm in the same boat. I want a new tripod to hold the gear I'm using but I seems to not be able to find the balance between lightweight and holding capacity and price. Although all of these combined usually equal expensive.

I just posted a new topic the other day. Has anyone got an opinion on the Manfrotto 190 view magfibre tripod?
Or the three legged thing tripods?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 08:21:47 PM »
I'm in the same boat. I want a new tripod to hold the gear I'm using but I seems to not be able to find the balance between lightweight and holding capacity and price. Although all of these combined usually equal expensive.

Stable. Lightweight. Inexpensive. You can have up to two of those characteristics in a tripod, but not all three. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »

Stable. Lightweight. Inexpensive. You can have up to two of those characteristics in a tripod, but not all three.

+1 exactly right...

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 07:59:26 AM »
Hi all,

I've spent weeks (or months) now looking into a tripod.
I'm looking at getting a Carbon Fibre on and in particular the 3 Legged Thing - Eric.

The thing I'm getting confused about is getting a "stable" tripod... The 3LT Eric has 3 locks and 4 leg section/segments...
After doing my researching I have in my mind that this isn't stable and I should be looking at only a 3 segment tripod.
Is there completely false? What's people opinions on this?

mb66energy

• Canon 70D
  • too many boring photos with high tech quality ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take my photography hobby to the next level, so to speak  :D, so I'm thinking of buying me a tripod and a tripod head. I've done some research online, but I think I'm more confused now, than when I started thinking about tripods and heads.  ;D (I guess, that happens a lot). From my understanding, Manfrotto and Induro seem to be the best tripod brands, so I'm looking to get the above mentioned gear from either of these two. I'm more inclined, however, towards Induro products.

In so many words, what do you guys make of this?

A newer tripod manufacturer is Sirui, a chinese company which seems to make good stuff at moderate prices.

Now I use
  - a 25 year old Manfrotto 190 with screw locking for the legs (very time consuming!) but with some patina :)
  - a MG468RC4 ball head (great stability, locking the ball doesn't move the camera - never had that before)

I am interested in the Sirui M-320?X series (carbon fiber legs) - the ? stands for 3, 4 or 5 and means the number of leg sections. I prefer the 4-section version due to its good balance with transportation size and "medium converion time" from transport to usage.

Has anyone experience with one of these Sirui tripods from the Master series (M-320?X)? How does it compare to Gitzo and RRS?

Thanks in advance - Michael
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40 | 2.8+2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200 | 5.6/400 || 2 x 40D || 2x TC ||| 600D for video ||| EOS M + bunch of FD chrome rings

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Carbon Fibre on and in particular the 3 Legged Thing - Eric.

The thing I'm getting confused about is getting a "stable" tripod... The 3LT Eric has 3 locks and 4 leg section/segments...
After doing my researching I have in my mind that this isn't stable and I should be looking at only a 3 segment tripod.

With high quality tripods, 3 vs. 4 leg sections isn't going to make a significant difference in stability, per se.  What matters more is the diameter of the thinnest leg section. 

Considerations of collapsed length and extended length (not counting the center column, if present) are generally more important than number of leg sections.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take my photography hobby to the next level, so to speak  :D, so I'm thinking of buying me a tripod and a tripod head. I've done some research online, but I think I'm more confused now, than when I started thinking about tripods and heads.  ;D (I guess, that happens a lot). From my understanding, Manfrotto and Induro seem to be the best tripod brands, so I'm looking to get the above mentioned gear from either of these two. I'm more inclined, however, towards Induro products.

A newer tripod manufacturer is Sirui, a chinese company which seems to make good stuff at moderate prices.

Now I use
  - a 25 year old Manfrotto 190 with screw locking for the legs (very time consuming!) but with some patina :)
  - a MG468RC4 ball head (great stability, locking the ball doesn't move the camera - never had that before)

I am interested in the Sirui M-320?X series (carbon fiber legs) - the ? stands for 3, 4 or 5 and means the number of leg sections. I prefer the 4-section version due to its good balance with transportation size and "medium converion time" from transport to usage.

Has anyone experience with one of these Sirui tripods from the Master series (M-320?X)? How does it compare to Gitzo and RRS?

I have the Sirui M3204X and it is the finest "general purpose" tripod for under $950 that I know of. I also have a very big Gitzo (GT3542XLS), a specialty medium sized Gitzo (GT2541EX) and a little Gitzo (GT1542T). The Sirui gets used the most due to it's ratio of stability/height/collapsed size. Of course it is not nearly as refined or well built as the Gitzos, but it is plenty good enough and costs less than $500. I'm 6'-2" and finding a tripod that is tall enough, without the center column being raised, so that I don't have to bend over while shooting is no easy task. I highly recommend this pod.

mb66energy

• Canon 70D
  • too many boring photos with high tech quality ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 11:41:21 AM »
Hi everyone,

Now I use

I have the Sirui M3204X and it is the finest "general purpose" tripod for under $950 that I know of. I also have a very big Gitzo (GT3542XLS), a specialty medium sized Gitzo (GT2541EX) and a little Gitzo (GT1542T). The Sirui gets used the most due to it's ratio of stability/height/collapsed size. Of course it is not nearly as refined or well built as the Gitzos, but it is plenty good enough and costs less than $500. I'm 6'-2" and finding a tripod that is tall enough, without the center column being raised, so that I don't have to bend over while shooting is no easy task. I highly recommend this pod.

Hello brad-man - thanks a lot. So I will take this one into the "inner circle" for my next tripod. It is appealing for me to because extending the center column reduces stability and I am 1.85m tall which is ... sth. like 6' and the rest :)

Best - Michael
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40 | 2.8+2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200 | 5.6/400 || 2 x 40D || 2x TC ||| 600D for video ||| EOS M + bunch of FD chrome rings

curtisnull

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 02:03:50 PM »
I've been shooting professionally for 30 years now. I have owned 4 Bogen/Manfrotto tripods. Then about 10 years ago I finally gave in and invested in a Gitzo Carbon Fiber. I use a tripod almost every day. The Manfrotto's tended to wear out about every 5 years. The Gitzo which is about 10 years old is just as good as the day I got it. Although a bit banged up now.
1Dx••5D3••300/2.8L IS II••135/2L••100/2.8L IS Macro••24/1.4L II••70-200/2.8L IS II••24-70/2.8L II••17-40/4 L••600EX-RT••lots more Canon stuff.

mbonin83

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Matt Bonin Photography
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »
I have the GITZO 4542LS:  it's right at $1000   I love it.  I'm 6'1" and when it's fully extended with the RRS bullhead, it's perfect for me. 

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 10:50:17 PM »
I totally agree on the Wimberley II as a good value for the money.

Another thing to think about is the accessories that they offer.  I love the leveling base, and quick release clamps that allow quick change between different cameras and even heads..  Look at the site and they offer a line of L-plates, and foot plates with Arca Swiss adapters, etc. etc.  So the whole ecosystem works well, is stable, and expandable.

It is expensive, but your gear is way more expensive.

sek

No, I didn't. From what I've read, I understand that Manfrotto and Induro offer the best quality in terms of sturdiness and strength.

Read more.

Also, don't use manufacturer's load ratings as a guideline, they are useful for comparison within a brand, but effectively meaningless for comparison across brands.  A Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 is rated for 17 lbs - does that mean it can hold 17 lbs without breaking, hold 17 lbs with complete stability and no vibration, or something in between? 

The Really Right Stuff TQC-14 is their 'travel tripod', the lightest and weakest one they make.  It's rated for 25 lbs.  That load capacity might, just might, be a bit conservative.

:)
sek
Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, 50D Lenses:  24-70 208 II, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 10:50:17 PM »

Leejo

• Power Shot G16
  • Still relearning the same things...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 06:39:21 AM »
Hi all,

I have a Three Legged Thing - called Brian.
I am perfectly happy with it - there are a few criticisms - the rubber grips on the locks aren't the best,
and a cover fell off one of my tripod head locks - but they did replace it.
I have it as a travel tripod, hence the choice as it is airplane hand luggage compatible.
The price was also in my budget as well.
I wouldn't necessarily put a 300mm 2.8 or 600mm on it - but then I neither have them or envisage travelling
with them in an airplane either... (without making additional arrangements.)
Excluding Gitzo I consider it to be one of the best travel tripods available here (in Europe).

As with all things there is also a compromise - to get the folded length you need four sections, and it's not 2m / 6 foot tall. But that is pure physics. The monopod leg is also obviously a little on the short side, but that is also logical. Other combinations will have all the same characteristics. It's a travel tripod/monopod - mainly for cities reached by air etc. If I was travelling say in a car,  ad larger lenses, availability of RRS, other budget  then maybe other factors would come into play. for me it hasn't been topped for my purposes.

Canon 7D

e17paul

• Rebel SL1
  • Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 08:37:30 AM »
I am going through a similar exercise. Having researched and read many reviews on line, my thoughts were heading towards a mid range Gitzo. However, on visiting one of London's camera shops to see them for real, I realised that I would not be comfortable carring the Gitzo for a day's travelling by tube, bus and on foot. As much as stability is important, a tripod left at home will be no use at all.

The advice I'm giving is that having done some research online, go to a shop and try out the options. I'm glad that I didnt take the plunge after only online research.

My further research is on the Manfrotto 055 and 190 tripods. I will next take my camera and heaviest lens to weigh up my options (kind of literally). I think that after that, the brick and mortar store will deserve my business.

However, the tripod is only the first question. There are a myriad of tripod heads available, and the weight should be allowed for when choosing the tripod. i have found some informative reviews at Cameralabs (e.g. http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Manfrotto_190CXPRO3_tripod/ ). I will find out how informative when I buy.

I'm just hoping that I don't change my mind again after making the investment. I may well decide that the extra weight would be worth carrying!

Good luck in your decision making, I will follow this thread with interest.
6D, 5(film)x2, 650(film)x2, Canonet QL19, EF 15/2.8, 24/2.8 IS, 50/2.5 & 70-300/4-5.6L
Fotodiox Pro OM/Eos adapter, Olympus OM-10, Zuiko 24/2.8, 50/1.4 & 135/2.8, Ensinor 28/2.8, XA/2, Mju 410
Apple iPhone 4S & iPad 2. I've only listed the equipment I still use for photography!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 08:37:30 AM »