October 24, 2014, 02:51:53 PM

Author Topic: T2i vs. 60D vs. 5dMKII  (Read 15373 times)

jasonmillard81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
T2i vs. 60D vs. 5dMKII
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
Hey gents (and ladies).  In my prior post I asked about the 60D or wait for a new model.

I've accrued a bit more funds since then and have also accrued more knowledge.

It seems like their is so much diverse opinion for HDSLR and video.

1. 5dMKII body and an inexpensive lens for a few months and slowly save for better lenses
2. 60D body and get two decent lenses and slowly save for better lenses
3. T2i body and get a really nice lens now and then slowly add as I go
4. Screw it and get a Panasonic GH2

Opinions?

Secondly...

new vs. used?  thoughts? Ebay/Craigslist/Refurbs

canon rumors FORUM

T2i vs. 60D vs. 5dMKII
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: T2i vs. 60D vs. 5dMKII
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
All of us weighed the options and made a choice based on what we needed and what we could afford.  Eash of us made the decision that was right for us, and people will give you their preference, and why they think its a good choice.

The fact is, they are all good camera bodies, putting more money into a good lens will give you something that will outlast several camera bodies, so plan on getting a upgraded lens and T2i as opposed to a 7D and beginner lens. 

The choice of lens, is a whole different question.  A t2i along with a 15-85mm lens is a good start,add a 50mm f/1.8 lens for low light, and you will cover most common usages.  If you need a telephoto lens, I'd get a 70-200mm f/4 non IS for a low cost high quality lens.

jasonmillard81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »
MT points well taken.  I failed to mention that I have no legit experience with photography.  I am into creativity art and music.  As a  teacher I'd like the ability to film my students, create documentary narratives, and have the ability to shoot my kids playing sports from time to time.

I do assume that there is enough of a difference between the 4 bodies I listed that definitive differences can be pointed out.

I have been drawn to DSLR and sold my Canon HFS20 because the DOF and cinematic quality was to die for.  Now I see that low light performance, white balance, color neutrality, cinematic quality, aliasing, moire, focus, etc matter

I'm just not experienced enough to do it without sincere and educated advice.

As far as the second questions, thoughts on new vs. used/refurbished?  I'd like to save $$$ but not compromise quality, value, and long-term integrity if something breaks.

samueljay

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:35:07 PM »
I was in the same boat as you Jason! I opted to get a Rebel T2i and a 50mm f/1.8ii to start with as it was simply too cheap to pass up. From there I will see how it goes, and find out what I need to fill in the gaps. My camera and lens arrives tomorrow, let me know if you want to know how I find it (coming from a film student in Australia who learnt using various HD Video cameras (Panasonic HVX-200, JVC (can't remember the model) and Sony Z1P's as well as a little bit of 16mm film :) )
Gear: 5D Mk III <> 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II USM <> 50mm ƒ/1.2L USM <> 8-15mm ƒ/4L  USM <>  100mm ƒ/2.8L  Macro IS USM <> 40mm ƒ/2.8 <> 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM

Fandongo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:46:03 PM »
For the best video I would recommend the gh2 with canon glass.
5dii is incredible, but 3 years old (and still hard to get under $2k)
You could probably find a $450ish t2i used.
Magic Lantern has the coolest features for the t2i, as it's the only camera with an lcd sensor... and you can use it to adjust focus/take stills/start video etc without ever touching your camera (awesome for gimbal stabilizers)
ML also has built-in timelapse/hdr ability.
"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

npherno

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 10:37:02 PM »
60D. You don't really state what your primary use is, but given what you have said, i would go 60D.

Why?

Autofocus. 9 Cross points may allow you to get shots you cannot get with a T2i.
Better controls. Canon Prosumer ergonomics are way better. You need hard buttons or get stuck mired in menus.
Better build quality. Magnesium body.
Auto ISO. Not sure if T2i has this.
Wireless Flash control built in. If you like photography and need a multi light setup, you will save $$ or be forced to buy wireless controllers.
Faster shooting speed vs T2i.

The 60D helps you get the pictures you want with less hassle, like other more expensive bodies. That said, if you are unsure at all I would not get a 5dII, just because the features (low light shooting, FF) might not be missed. If you really want a camera "you can grow into" the 7D is probably better served than the 5DII. 7D has better autofocus, and good video from what i've read. It also has wireless flash control, better AF, and built in flash (5DII has no flash), and faster shooting speed than the 5DII.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:42:29 PM by npherno »

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 12:30:39 AM »
On the topic of menu controls versus hard buttons:  I think that's almost a "to taste" issue.  Being able to hit something on the side of the camera to change a setting can be useful, but with the menu systems you get pretty exact visual feedback about what you're changing (and even some hints about what it's doing).  Some of the abbreviated button labels will look like gibberish to new DSLR users, and even after cracking open the manual you might not know if it's a two state toggle, or toggles through more modes, unless you have an eye on the rear screen and it displays what's going on (this is a problem on, for example, the Nikon D90 which by default turns the back panel off unless you hit the view display button).

That aside, there's really no argument that the T2i is the better camera.

Actually, I view the pentamirror finder (of the T1i, I'm assuming brightness is similar in the T2i) as not a big handicap, and sometimes it's even a benefit (if you want to "shade" a scene you're looking into).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 12:30:39 AM »

Leopard Lupus

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 01:43:13 AM »
I have own(ed) all three of the bodies you have mentioned, and based on your prior post of use as well as your experience level, you will be happy with the 60D. It is a solid consumer camera with great features. Personally, the 5D mk ll is not a simple camera to work with. Full manual is necessary while using it, and the T2i feels like a toy.
My recommendation: Invest in quality lenses. I have shot with a Rebel XSI and a 85mm 1.2 and received wonderful results, better than a cheap lens on an expensive body.

Happy shooting!

briansquibb

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 02:01:08 AM »
Personally, the 5D mk ll is not a simple camera to work with. Full manual is necessary while using it, and the T2i feels like a toy.

I went through the 40D and 50D upgrade route and now 7D as well as the 5D and now 5DII route. For taking stills the 5DII is so simple and idiot proof (me). Basic shooting on AF and the only choice to make is the standard one of which metering do I do (using auto ISO).  I do use the other options BTW when in more serious mode but hardly ever need the manual as it is straightfoward stuff that always has been in the digitals.

More complicated stuff in the 60D but the results I see from comparitive beginners is very impressive. I would go for the 60D with 24-105L as the basic start lens.

jasonmillard81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 05:36:33 AM »
Interesting debates. Thanks for the advice.

It sounds like the overwhelming recommendation is 60D.

Just to clarify since I wasn't clear. But my primary use will be video. I'll be looking to do narrative documentaries think "Inside Job" or any PBS or Michael Moore film.

Secondly I'd use it for sports for my students.

Finally I use it for stills.

Assuming the 60D still holds as my best for this what top 3 lenses would you suggest ... Sounds like a 50mm and small zoom lens?   I'd like to spend no more than a thousand on lenses. I also need suggestions for:

SDHC card
EXT Mic

jayvo86

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 06:26:06 AM »
I own a 60D and have been very happy with it; I love doing video with it. However, if I had to buy my first camera all over again, I would have bought a 5D MK1. You can pick them up for under a grand and then get some juicy glass to go with it. The 5DMKII is only going to continue to devalue at this point.

All else said, the 60D is great. If you need better focusing and faster processing, the 7D is also something to consider. (It feels better too.)

npherno

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:12:33 AM »
Interesting debates. Thanks for the advice.

It sounds like the overwhelming recommendation is 60D.

Just to clarify since I wasn't clear. But my primary use will be video. I'll be looking to do narrative documentaries think "Inside Job" or any PBS or Michael Moore film.

Secondly I'd use it for sports for my students.

Finally I use it for stills.

Assuming the 60D still holds as my best for this what top 3 lenses would you suggest ... Sounds like a 50mm and small zoom lens?   I'd like to spend no more than a thousand on lenses. I also need suggestions for:

SDHC card
EXT Mic

i would buy the fastest lens for the available light you intend to shoot. Some people swear by longer lenses for portraits to prevent distortion off facial features. Personally I shoot portraits with a wide angle and it looks fine.
If you want natural light video, i would say get a 2.8f or less. Daytime shooting or lit scenes would change that though.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »
All of us weighed the options and made a choice based on what we needed and what we could afford.  Eash of us made the decision that was right for us, and people will give you their preference, and why they think its a good choice.

The fact is, they are all good camera bodies, putting more money into a good lens will give you something that will outlast several camera bodies, so plan on getting a upgraded lens and T2i as opposed to a 7D and beginner lens. 

The choice of lens, is a whole different question.  A t2i along with a 15-85mm lens is a good start,add a 50mm f/1.8 lens for low light, and you will cover most common usages.  If you need a telephoto lens, I'd get a 70-200mm f/4 non IS for a low cost high quality lens.

+1: Nailed it.

If budget allows, upgrade the T2i to a 60D which is a bit better for video.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
this is what I know about these cameras; it may help (afraid not much):
http://www.similaar.com/foto/equipment/us_cam.html

thejoyofsobe

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 11:30:41 AM »
the T3i for DSLR video

articulated LCD screen (not in T2i)
manual audio controls (not in T2i)
wireless flash control (not in T2i)
digital zoom while filming (not in 60D or T2i)
Magic Lantern software available (also for 60D and T2i)

as for lenses you need a least one image stabilized lens if you want to do handheld video. the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 and the 24-105mm f/4L are all excellent. of course the new 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens isn't terrible with its four-stop IS.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:52:17 AM by thejoyofsobe »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 11:30:41 AM »