September 30, 2014, 10:12:45 AM

Author Topic: Chuck a 5dmk iii in a rucksack  (Read 4626 times)

TeT

• Rebel T5i
  • I am smiling because I am happy...
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck a 5dmk iii in a rucksack
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 03:02:34 PM »
A 5dIII with a 24 70 L lens attached will fit into a zippered lunch tote. The easy wipe models offer some padding as well. I use a Lands End bag similar to this.

http://www.landsend.com/products/solid-classmate-soft-sided-lunch-box/id_254901

There are other makes available:

http://www.amazon.com/Sugarbooger-Zippee-Lunch-Retro-Robot/dp/B004Y4FIW8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AN7Y2T40GPTJJRG28KH

Its corny but works, check the specs for size first as they are all different: When I am just using the camera and the one lens I use it from point A to B and can toss it into a bag or suitcase as needed...

Also: no one ever suspects a camera in the bag...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 03:02:34 PM »

LarryC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
I use this and like it OK (just).

On the plus side, it protects very well.  On the minus side, it is a bit slippery as it is made of (I believe) silicone.  I fixed that problem with a bit of sandpaper.  You do lose a bit of tactile feedback, though the case fits well.  I also took a scissors and modded it to my specific needs, so overall, it works fine.  It has protected the camera from scuffs, scrapes, and minor falls.

I guess since I have kept it on for over a year, the pluses outweigh the minuses.

I use lens coats for the lenses and that works well for me.

Good luck.

sek

Something like this perhaps?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/866720-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDSPROC5DMK3_B_Snug_It_Pro_Skin_for.html

I backpack and mountaineer with one of these, also modified a bit, for my D800 and prefer it over my LensCoat Pro and Top Loader. It works well enough but you do lose some ease of use of some buttons, at least on my Nikon, notably those surrounding the top lcd.  I use a top Loader on a chest mount when i know i want the camera handy but a sling would be in the way, such as for ice axe work.  For day hikes with a daybag but no other hard equipment, i just wrap it in my fleece in my daybag or leave it hanging on my sling. 

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »

I use a satchel / messenger bag and drop a photo insert in it.  Works brilliantly with my 5D3 provided you don't have a grip attached.  You can do this with a gripped 5D3, but a general satchel/messenger/laptop bag generally won't span the "1D-sized" footprint of a gripped 5D3, so you'll have to hunt a bit further for the right bag.

A few links:

http://www.tenba.com/Products/Messenger-Removable-Photo-Insert.aspx (I have two of these)

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/snoop-camera-insert

http://www.amazon.com/BBP-DSLR-Camera-Insert-Make/dp/B0047P0QLC

Note:  Waterproofing is up to the bag and not the insert.  So I have a canvas bag for sunny days and a ballistic nylon rubbery lined one for rain.  The insert slides out of one bag and pops right in the other.

Some folks get wound up about lack of top protection with these, but you can easily make a 'roof' by rubber-banding together some extra foam partitions.  I only use such a 'roof' when flying as I put these satchels under the seat and they might get inadvertently stepped on.

- A

emko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 11:32:41 PM »
i just toss mine in the backpack i thought this is one of the reasons they are build with that magnesium alloy body. When i had the 550d then i was more careful that thing felt very weak all plastic.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 12:34:49 AM »
i just toss mine in the backpack i thought this is one of the reasons they are build with that magnesium alloy body. When i had the 550d then i was more careful that thing felt very weak all plastic.

Agree -- the 5D3 body will 95% likely be fine, but there are other features to consider.  I've had a lot of lens caps fall off when I just throw it in a bag with other contents, once resulting in a scratched filter (thankfully not the lens' front element).   Also, multipurpose bags like backpacks and messenger bags often carry 'other' cargo that can leave junk, crumbs, dirt, dust, etc. which can scratch an LCD or do a number on the grippy bits.

For me, I don't like loose items clawing at any part of the camera when it's in a bag, so I usually use the previously linked Tenba photo insert.  I'm not arguing my way is better -- it's entirely personal preference. 

However, when I'm in a hurry or if I need a mixed payload of camera + 'other' in the bag (clothes, work items, pens, etc.), I sometimes just wrap the 5D3 + lens with a winter hat and call it good.  I've had zero issues with that thus far, but I do admit I baby the bag a bit more in that arrangement.

- A

emko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 01:07:16 AM »

Agree -- the 5D3 body will 95% likely be fine, but there are other features to consider.  I've had a lot of lens caps fall off when I just throw it in a bag with other contents, once resulting in a scratched filter (thankfully not the lens' front element).   Also, multipurpose bags like backpacks and messenger bags often carry 'other' cargo that can leave junk, crumbs, dirt, dust, etc. which can scratch an LCD or do a number on the grippy bits.

For me, I don't like loose items clawing at any part of the camera when it's in a bag, so I usually use the previously linked Tenba photo insert.  I'm not arguing my way is better -- it's entirely personal preference. 

However, when I'm in a hurry or if I need a mixed payload of camera + 'other' in the bag (clothes, work items, pens, etc.), I sometimes just wrap the 5D3 + lens with a winter hat and call it good.  I've had zero issues with that thus far, but I do admit I baby the bag a bit more in that arrangement.

- A

ahh i miss read the original post, i use a camera backpack :) but when i don't i usually have some sort of clothes inside and i use that to wrap the camera so the screen or top lcd don't get scratched.

procentje20

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 02:27:04 AM »
I've been using a Case Logic SLR zoom holster wheneven I just need to take my camera with a sigle lens. Over my sholder, or as its the subject here, in a larger backpack. When I do panoramas while skiing for instance. 5d, lens, nodal ninja and tripod all go in the same tall backpack to center the weight so I can still get off piste agility.

5DIII | 8-15/4  | 24-70/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85 1.8 | 150-600/5-6.3 | 35-80/4-5.6 PZ | Canonet 28

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 02:27:04 AM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 10:41:16 AM »
I am thinking small pelican case.  You can even leave the foam out and pack it with a t-shirt/underwear etc.

But I also think a camera in a case in a rucksack is not going to take very many pictures.

IgotGASbadDude

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »
What about the LensCoat BodyBag - it says it fits the 5DIII and they have ones that cover the lens (regular or telephoto, too, and ones that cover the body with any lens.  See here

Those all seem pretty reasonably priced, but I usually just wrap mine in a fleece shirt :)

Thanks for this info! Just got mine in today: one for my 5DIII w/grip (Bodybag Pro model) and one for my G1XII. 8)

I'll look into you getting a commission from the sale.  ;)
5D3, 70-200 L, 16-35 L, Sigma 50 1.4 Art
7D, 28-135, 70-300
And about a million miscellaneous photo items!

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
What about the LensCoat BodyBag - it says it fits the 5DIII and they have ones that cover the lens (regular or telephoto, too, and ones that cover the body with any lens.  See here

Those all seem pretty reasonably priced, but I usually just wrap mine in a fleece shirt :)

got one of these for my wife for her 5Dmk3 and 24-70 fits great and protects well when popped into her handbag
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »