November 20, 2017, 09:47:56 PM

Author Topic: Canon IS Primes for landscapes?  (Read 15641 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Canon IS Primes for landscapes?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 12:47:28 AM »
Apparently the 24mm has no coma wide open which is ideal for astrophotography.

First I've seen of that.  I thought some of the tests I saw, showed significant coma wide open. 

There are folks out there who "highly recommend" the lens for that purpose.  eg: http://www.lonelyspeck.com/lenses-for-milky-way-photography/

The design includes two aspheric elements which could reduce coma in a decent lens design--but I have no direct experience with the lens or any other Samyang products.  I don't own one, and probably wouldn't buy one for myself since other known issues would eliminate it from consideration relative to what I like to do.

Fair point.  I've only owned one Rokinon lens so far, the 85mm f/1.4.  It held its value very well on the used market, and I lost very little when I sold it.  But it definitely did not have good contrast.  The resolution was ok, and the CA was not too bad.  Certainly not a bad value for money (because it was so inexpensive).  But it was a manual focus / aperture, so it was cumbersome to use...especially since I was only using the standard focusing screen, and this focal length is especially demanding of good manual focus technique, if the lens is manual.  I'm still considering trying the 14mm f/2.8, though.  From what I have seen, it might have the best overall image quality of all the Rokinon focal lengths.  Both the 14mm and the 85mm, cost around half what their 24mm f/1.4 sells for, though, so to me it seems like a poor value...especially given photozone's review.  Not saying people can't take good images with it, though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 12:47:28 AM »

scaptic

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »
Looks like I’ve made my decision: It’s going to be the Canon 6D kit with the 24-70 f/4 L lens, just a matter of waiting on a good deal (Canon Cash-back, a good shop discount or both).

The 24-70 f/4 should be able to produce the results I’m after, but I’ll put aside the money I save so I can always “upgrade” to some prime lenses when needed (with or without selling off the 24-70 f/4).

Maybe in the long term save enough to get some Zeiss glass, but meanwhile the FF upgrade should keep me satisfied.

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »
Looks like I’ve made my decision: It’s going to be the Canon 6D kit with the 24-70 f/4 L lens, just a matter of waiting on a good deal (Canon Cash-back, a good shop discount or both).

The 24-70 f/4 should be able to produce the results I’m after, but I’ll put aside the money I save so I can always “upgrade” to some prime lenses when needed (with or without selling off the 24-70 f/4).

Maybe in the long term save enough to get some Zeiss glass, but meanwhile the FF upgrade should keep me satisfied.

Good choice; we bought a 6D kit with 24-70 IS and the two go really well together. With this lens I think you'll find that any future purchase of a prime in the same focal length range would be for faster aperture.

scaptic

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
One major advantage of the 24-70 f/4 L: it has the same filter diameter as my EF-S 17-55 (both 77 mm).

This means I can keep using my filters (for instance B+W XS-Pro Pola and Hoya NDX400) without using step-up rings.

scottburgess

• EOS M5
  • Canonical Canon
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2014, 06:53:54 PM »
This means I can keep using my filters (for instance B+W XS-Pro Pola and Hoya NDX400) without using step-up rings.
I used to worry about standardizing on a couple ring sizes before I switched to Cokin P style.  That change saved a lot of dough.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 03:57:59 AM »
One major advantage of the 24-70 f/4 L: it has the same filter diameter as my EF-S 17-55 (both 77 mm).

The 24-105L also uses 77mm filters, and is not that far behind the 24-70 in image quality...also costs less and gives more reach at the long end.

Tanispyre

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »
If the question is whether IS is useful for landscapes, the I would have to answer yes.  Now obviously the best solution is to us a tripod and carefully set everything up, but in reality it is often the case that you do not have time to do that.

Having IS on my wide angle lens means that I can often hand hold exposures for 1/2 a second or longer allowing me to get smooth waterfalls and good depth of field at low ISOs.  My work often takes me into the field, and I have a walking stick I mounted a tripod mount on that I use as a Monopod.  Using IS and a monopod I am consistently getting good shots at 2 seconds exposure.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »

scaptic

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »
The new EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM in addition to the 24-70 f/4L could be nice as well. Can’t wait for the reviews…

Combined with my 70-200 f/4L IS, it could complete a nice set of f/4L IS lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »