November 28, 2014, 07:49:25 AM

Author Topic: Canon IS Primes for landscapes?  (Read 5204 times)

timmy_650

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Canon IS Primes for landscapes?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 03:04:17 AM »
Have you thought about the New sigma 24-105mm F/4 OS? It is better than the canon at 24mm and that is where you shoot most. The week spot is the 105mm but i thought you said you had a 70-200.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 03:04:17 AM »

scaptic

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 05:01:17 AM »
The Sigma 24-105 ART lens looks like a nice lens as well, but backed up with some very good arguments in this thread the primes route feels better to me.
The Sigma 24-105 is quite heavy and the 82mm would require new CPL and ND filters as well.

Note: I don’t mind lugging around heavy equipment. If I just go shooting I have close to 10kg of gear already. I mainly want to option to go “light” when I go trekking.

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 05:27:55 AM »
The trio of IS primes are all excellent for landscape. They offer virtually the best across the frame sharpness with IS for hand holding late evening / early morning shots with small apertures and low ISO.

However the 24-70 f4 IS is also excellent, much better than the early reviews gave it credit for. I have no idea why this happened; the 70-300L also suffered in the same way.

If you want lighter, cheaper ( individually ), smaller then the primes are the way to go although the 24-70 IS is noticeably smaller than the 24-105L in actual use, and goes well on the 6D.

Here are a couple of landscape shots taken on the 24-70 f4 IS. If you want to see a large size have a look on my website. 

scaptic

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 05:47:41 AM »
The trio of IS primes are all excellent for landscape. They offer virtually the best across the frame sharpness with IS for hand holding late evening / early morning shots with small apertures and low ISO.

However the 24-70 f4 IS is also excellent, much better than the early reviews gave it credit for. I have no idea why this happened; the 70-300L also suffered in the same way.

If you want lighter, cheaper ( individually ), smaller then the primes are the way to go although the 24-70 IS is noticeably smaller than the 24-105L in actual use, and goes well on the 6D.

Here are a couple of landscape shots taken on the 24-70 f4 IS. If you want to see a large size have a look on my website.

Gorgeous shots…

docsmith

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 06:03:54 AM »
All the data on the internet is an interesting thing.  Stare at it too long and you'll lose perspective and go blind.  It allows you to evaluate subtle differences in lenses beyond the point that you would actually be able to perceive.  Also, much of the available data is based upon a single copy of a lens when it is well established that there is significant copy variation.  I am not saying you don't learn something and that it isn't valuable, but I think you need to evaluate charts with some perspective.

My recommendation is that you start to think in broader terms such as "unacceptable," "acceptable," "good," "very good," "extremely good," and "elite."  Each of these is in the eye of the beholder, but I want to emphasize that evaluating internet data tends to push everyone to the "elite" lenses when many amateurs would be very happy once you get past good (some with acceptable).

I do this because earlier you dismissed what is likely the perfect lens for you.  You say that you want a landscape lens and are on a budget....the EF 25-105 f/4 is absolutely the best bargain "L" lens right now.  But it in your kit when you get your 6D and wait for a deal that pops up and you can get it for $400-$600.  That is a steal.  Practically speaking, the lens is good at f/4 (all this talk of it being "soft" is highly overrated IMO), but it is very good to extremely good from f/5.6-f/8.  It is about as good as any lens once diffraction kits in (which is still very good to extremely good) from f/8-f/16.  It is a great landscape lens for the budget.  Are there better out there, yes, absolutely.  The charts show it and several lenses are even perceivably better.  But it is good enough for most amateurs.

So, my recommendation would be to pick up the EF 24-105 in a kit, or maybe the EF 24-70 f/4 IS in a kit (depending on price) and then pick up a prime such as the Sigma 35A, or one of Canon's trilogy of 24 f/2.8, 28 f/2.8, or 35 f/2 for lower light photography.  If you want astrophotography, that does change things.  The value lens you can get is the Samyang/Rokinon 14 f/2.8 UMC.  You can get by with f/2.8 at 24 mm (I've seen great shots even at f/4), but typically need f/2, by 21 mm or 14 mm, you can increase your shutter speed enough that you can get great shots with f/2.8.

docsmith

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 06:07:09 AM »
...not sure why, but this was a double post....so I removed it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:12:59 PM by docsmith »

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »
I too shoot landscapes, and though the lens is more expensive I suggest you take a long look at the 24mm TS-E (mark II) given that you do a lot of work in this area.  What you gain is not only an incredibly sharp lens, but tremendous creative possibilities. 

If you want to know more before you buy, I recommend the following ebook:
http://www.oopoomoo.com/ebook/the-tilt-shift-lens/

I bought this book while making essentially the same decision as you.  This book illustrates the range of things one can do with a tilt-shift, and provides work-flow information for obtaining the most from this lens.  It is well organized and written.  Kudos to Darwin and Samantha for putting this together.

Hope this helps a bit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »

Mr Bean

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
My 2 cents worth....
As others have mentioned, from a landscape perspective, considering IS or AF isn't really the main issue, the Canon 24mm TS would be an excellent choice, with its great sharpness and ability to T/S. Closely followed by the Zeiss 21mm. I've rented the Zeiss 21mm before I bought the Zeiss 15mm and the 21mm had slightly better sharpness and contrast than the 15mm (I bought the 15mm mainly for astro/full sky shots). Plus, the Zeiss lenses have a hard infinity stop, which makes night shots really easy :)

As a "pan and stitch" lens, the 40mm pancake is superb when stopped to f4-5.6. A really under rated lens IMHO.

At the moment, my current "go to" lenses in my kit for landscape are the 40mm pancake (and stitch) or the Canon 24mm f1.4 II, which isn't the sharpest lens (wide open), but, stopped down, it does have a beaut contrast/colour about it.
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »
My own experience suggests the following Lenses, I can recommend them on the Basis I own them & use them.

Canon 17f/4 TSE II
Canon 24f/3.5 TSE II
Zeiss 21f/2.8 Distagon
Zeiss 15f/2.8 Distagon

All are Manual Focus, the TSE's give some latitude if you want to Photograph Architecture, if I'm heading off to do Landscape, these are the Lenses I throw in Bag.

Other Lenses I have & use for Landscape that are very good

Canon 24f/1.4 II (Very good for Landscape, not good for Night time star Imaging, quite bad Purple Fringing & Coma, I agree with CarlTN on this, I don't think the issue is relevant to my own Lens, it's an issue with the 24f1.4 II generally, but, not an issue if night time Imaging is not in your bag of tricks) The 24f/1.4 is also an excellent Underwater Lens (when used in a Housing of course  ::)  )

Canon 8-15f/4 @ 15 (also excellent underwater Lens, Housing rule applies)
Sigma 35f/1.4 Art
Canon 35f/1.4 (not quite as sharp as the Sigma Art 35 (in my experience), but slightly better Bokah)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:16:35 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

jd7

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 09:28:37 PM »

Gorgeous shots…

+1 about those shots.

Interesting to see Sporgon and a few others saying very good things about the 24-70 f/4 (which, as Sporgon said, is inconsistent with most of the reviews out there).  And the macro mode on it sounds like it could be fun too, even if the working distance is short.  I think I might have to take a closer look at the 24-70 f/4 one of these days.
6D | 24-70 4L IS | 70-200 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 35 2 IS | 40 2.8 | 85 1.8 | 1.4x mk II | 430EX II

scaptic

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 06:31:09 AM »
To recapitulate some of the mentioned options:

First the Zoom lens options:
Canon 6D +  Canon EF 24-105 f/4L
  • Cost: €2199 ($3040)
  • Weight: 1350gr
Canon 6D +  Canon EF 24-70 f/4L
  • Cost: €2299 ($3178)
  • Weight: 1260gr
Canon 6D +  Sigma 24-105 f/4 ART
  • Cost: €2358 ($3260)
  • Weight: 1565gr

The Canon EF 24-70 f/4 kit is the clear winner for me in this comparison; being only a little more expensive as the 24-105 (The Sigma losing out on weight and cost).

Next the Prime lens options:
Canon 6D +  Canon EF 24 f/2.8 IS + Canon EF 35 f/2 IS
  • Cost: €2675 ($3698)
  • Weight: 1295gr
Canon 6D +  Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II + Canon EF 35 f/2 IS
  • Cost: €4237 ($5858)
  • Weight: 1795gr
Canon 6D +  Zeiss ZE Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 + Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART
  • Cost: €4125 ($5703)
  • Weight: 1945gr

Anything over €3000 ($4200) is too much for me, leaving only the Canon IS primes option.

The Canon EF 24-70 f/4 L looks like the most flexible option, see if I can take one for a test drive…
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:12:55 PM by scaptic »

Mr_Canuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 05:58:34 PM »
Whenever I go landscape, I carry my Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 and my Canon 70-200mm (with a 1.4x extender thrown in, just in case).  I tend to either want to see everything, or things far away.  The 70-200 is excellent for stitching together a few photos for a panorama.

I would agree. And the more I've heard or read from pro landscape photographers, they tend towards wide angle or telephoto and rarely the middle focal lengths in order to capture unique perspective on the landscapes they see. I've gone with a Voigtlander 20mm f/3.5 and a 70-200/f4is. A big criteria for me is portability.
6D | Voigt 20 | 40STM | 50/2.5M | 70-200/4is | 100/2.8L | EX270 | ST-E2 | Velbon ultra lux iL | RX100 — go light, go far...

Snodge

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 11:22:42 PM »
Like Mr_Canuck I also have a Voigtlander 20mm manual focus lens, which is great for weight and seems to be sharp enough, and having hyperfocal distance markings is something that I definitely appreciate on this lens.

If you want very wide, the Samyang 14mm lens could be worth considering - I say considering, as I don't have one myself, so cannot recommend - however it appears to be particularly good for night shots with stars due to very low coma, and the shots in the lens gallery for it seem to more than justify its very low price...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 11:22:42 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »
My 2 cents worth....
As others have mentioned, from a landscape perspective, considering IS or AF isn't really the main issue, the Canon 24mm TS would be an excellent choice, with its great sharpness and ability to T/S. Closely followed by the Zeiss 21mm. I've rented the Zeiss 21mm before I bought the Zeiss 15mm and the 21mm had slightly better sharpness and contrast than the 15mm (I bought the 15mm mainly for astro/full sky shots). Plus, the Zeiss lenses have a hard infinity stop, which makes night shots really easy :)

As a "pan and stitch" lens, the 40mm pancake is superb when stopped to f4-5.6. A really under rated lens IMHO.

At the moment, my current "go to" lenses in my kit for landscape are the 40mm pancake (and stitch) or the Canon 24mm f1.4 II, which isn't the sharpest lens (wide open), but, stopped down, it does have a beaut contrast/colour about it.

I agree, although the Zeiss 21mm is really still the best overall lens for day or night wide angle shots (at least of nature).  I would not rank the T/S 24mm higher than it, at least from what I have read, and given its slower aperture.  However, if you ever do any sort of architectural wide angle, then it makes more sense to rank the T/S above the Zeiss.  Also, your experience confirms what I've seen online as well...that the Zeiss 15mm is noticeably softer than the Zeiss 21mm.  The 15mm actually also appears softer than the cheap 14mm Rokinon (at wide aperture).  It just also has better color and contrast than the Rokinon.  As Zeiss lenses go, the 15mm appears to be a poorer value than other Zeiss offerings, since it is not the sharpest EF-mount lens in the world at or around that focal length, yet still costs around $3000.  At least with the new Otus 55mm, it still clearly is the sharpest of all lenses around its focal length, so the price is more justified, in my opinion.

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »
Apparently the 24mm has no coma wide open which is ideal for astrophotography.

First I've seen of that.  I thought some of the tests I saw, showed significant coma wide open. 

There are folks out there who "highly recommend" the lens for that purpose.  eg: http://www.lonelyspeck.com/lenses-for-milky-way-photography/

The design includes two aspheric elements which could reduce coma in a decent lens design--but I have no direct experience with the lens or any other Samyang products.  I don't own one, and probably wouldn't buy one for myself since other known issues would eliminate it from consideration relative to what I like to do.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »