July 30, 2014, 05:33:42 PM

Author Topic: Live Coverage of the Announcement  (Read 11859 times)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Live Coverage of the Announcement
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 07:46:09 PM »
Very few replies here for an 'historic' Canon announcement!
Well, 16,000 bucks is a little bit out of my budghet...
Wait and see what the other camera costs.....
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 07:46:09 PM »

coltsfreak18

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 07:46:25 PM »
The three primes are 24 f/1.5, 50 f/1.3, and 85 f/1.3.  It is interesting how the 50 and 85 are slower than the standard L series EF lenses, especially for such an expensive camera. They better be good.

No they are T/1.5 and T/1.3.  T Stops and F Stops are different.  I cant remember the exact difference, but I know that T stops let in more light, but T/1.3 is superior to f/1.2 for sure.
Oh dang. Well I feel stupid now.

I just googled it, and a T-Stop is the effective F stop of a camera based on the percentage of light the lens transmits.  For example, a F/4.0 lens with 50% transmittance is a T/5.6 lens.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:51:21 PM by coltsfreak18 »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 07:46:48 PM »
There it is on engaget... much clearer shot of the second camera and certainly looks like a DSLR with "C" badge in the upper left of the body.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 07:47:13 PM »
Now, let's not all get too excited, but that definitely is a DSLR because it has a prism.  Whether they're just including a generic CGI render of how the C300 may impact on future video capable DSLRs, or whether this is an actual second, cheaper model is open to debate.  Remember what's been said before on this board: Canon's video and stills camera divisions are almost two seperate entities.  The video arm at this announcement seem to be at pains to point out that they develped the C300's sensor separately from the stills division (of course, that could just be marketing hype to distance it from the 5D MkII). 

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 07:47:59 PM »
There it is on engaget... much clearer shot of the second camera and certainly looks like a DSLR with "C" badge in the upper left of the body.

Yup, it's gonna be the "but wait, there's more."  Not everyone is going to ditch their 5D2 for a $16k camera, it's too much to ask.  They're going to release something that they want to sell the S___ out of.  I'm willing to bet the primes will be around $3k or more/each

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:17 PM »

Yup, it's gonna be the "but wait, there's more."  Not everyone is going to ditch their 5D2 for a $16k camera, it's too much to ask.  They're going to release something that they want to sell the S___ out of.  I'm willing to bet the primes will be around $3k or more/each

Next big question though... will it be a lower resolution sensor (i.e. less than 21MP) with the justification it's optimized for video?

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »
The three primes are 24 f/1.5, 50 f/1.3, and 85 f/1.3.  It is interesting how the 50 and 85 are slower than the standard L series EF lenses, especially for such an expensive camera. They better be good.

No they are T/1.5 and T/1.3.  T Stops and F Stops are different.  I cant remember the exact difference, but I know that T stops let in more light, but T/1.3 is superior to f/1.2 for sure.

Don't feel stupid, I would think they were the same too (and did at one point). 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
We're running a way a bit here.  Couldn't the DSLR picture just be of the 1D X with a purple 'C' badge on it, to show that you can use the new cinema EF lenses on a regular EOS stills camera?

coltsfreak18

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
We're running a way a bit here.  Couldn't the DSLR picture just be of the 1D X with a purple 'C' badge on it, to show that you can use the new cinema EF lenses on a regular EOS stills camera?
I was thinking the same thing a bit ago.  Also, is there any significance to the RED color, indicating that this camera aspires to compete with RED equipment? Or is it just an additional notification of a professional body/lens combo?

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »

Don't feel stupid, I would think they were the same too (and did at one point).

T-stop takes into account the transmission loss of the optical glass.  It is the equivalent of an f-stop for a lens that had zero transmission loss.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:58:05 PM by Meh »

jimmy156

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »

Yeah this!

I think people are letting there hopes get the better of them!

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »
I was thinking the same thing a bit ago.  Also, is there any significance to the RED color, indicating that this camera aspires to compete with RED equipment? Or is it just an additional notification of a professional body/lens combo?

Or the RED color could be because Canon's corporate color is RED.

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 07:57:03 PM »

F-stops are a mathematical calculation. T-stop stands for transmission stop, the actual amount of light that comes through the lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 07:57:03 PM »

Dave

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »

I'm more interested in the label on that second camera and am still hoping for a 5D3...

theuserjohnny

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 08:04:24 PM »

I'm more interested in the label on that second camera and am still hoping for a 5D3...

5D3 is not getting announced, this is a video only event. The 5D3 is a photography camera... not a camera entended for Hollywood.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 08:04:24 PM »