September 02, 2014, 08:44:56 AM

Author Topic: Advise Please  (Read 2225 times)

sanfranchristo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Advise Please
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 10:06:10 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate these tips very much, I have a Mac book pro, and will be needing apperature I suppose. I have a great deal to learn, but can't wait to get rolling, I will be heading to Bedfords Camera shop monday in Oklahoma City.

One minor suggestion - I don't think that many would argue that Lightroom isn't the better option over Aperture at this point. Unless you have a specific reason for wanting Aperture, I'd go with Lightroom (there are some good deals out there at the moment for the standalone version if you don't want to go the subscription route). I should also say that you don't "need" either when just starting out. Your camera will come with software to allow you to do basic processing of RAW files and preparation for web or print - Lightroom will come in very handy once you need more convenient editing and catalog management tools.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 10:06:10 PM »

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 10:51:57 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate these tips very much, I have a Mac book pro, and will be needing apperature I suppose. I have a great deal to learn, but can't wait to get rolling, I will be heading to Bedfords Camera shop monday in Oklahoma City.

One minor suggestion - I don't think that many would argue that Lightroom isn't the better option over Aperture at this point. Unless you have a specific reason for wanting Aperture, I'd go with Lightroom (there are some good deals out there at the moment for the standalone version if you don't want to go the subscription route). I should also say that you don't "need" either when just starting out. Your camera will come with software to allow you to do basic processing of RAW files and preparation for web or print - Lightroom will come in very handy once you need more convenient editing and catalog management tools.
When starting out, even the included iPhoto is not bad

e17paul

• Rebel T5i
  • Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 10:17:42 AM »
I don't know if shooting on Auto will help learn though.
Frankly I shoot horribly on Auto, and that is since I ditched my last fixed focus film camera (means has nothing to do with using SLRs), and consequently have a hard time with smartphones and elph cameras.
Fast movement- go with Tv, auto ISO, auto WB at least. Try to shoot RAW if possible, or both- then you get flexibility of tweaking and practicing with some of the images while not holding up the pipeline.
My humble 2c.

That depends on experience. It's never best to learn everything at once, as a teenager I used an Olympus XA/2 which is fully automatic except for a choice of three focus settings (head and shoulders, full portrait, landscape). That allowed me to concentrate on the framing before moving on to my first SLR.

By the time I had my OM-10 I was thinking about composition and framing automatically, and started to experiment with aperture and focus. Everything else was automatic, it's an aperture priority camera. I did, when I was ready add a manual adaptor, so that I could push the boundaries further.

My point is that full auto may well be a good place to start, to get a feel for the camera. Then the semi automatic aperture and shutter priority modes, leading to full manual. Just don't get distracted by the scene modes. It's a journey.
6D, 5(film)x2, 650(film)x2, Canonet QL19, EF 15/2.8, 24/2.8 IS, 50/2.5 & 70-300/4-5.6L
Fotodiox Pro OM/Eos adapter, Olympus OM-10, Zuiko 24/2.8, 50/1.4 & 135/2.8, Ensinor 28/2.8, XA/2, Mju 410
Apple iPhone 4S & iPad 2. I've only listed the equipment I still use for photography!

curtisnull

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
+1 on using Lightroom over Aperture. I have used Aperture since the day it came out in 2005. I am in the process of switching over to Lightroom because it is far ahead of Aperture now. It seems that Apple isn't doing anything with it now except maintenance updates.
1Dx••5D3••300/2.8L IS II••135/2L••100/2.8L IS Macro••24/1.4L II••70-200/2.8L IS II••24-70/2.8L II••17-40/4 L••600EX-RT••lots more Canon stuff.

Jom

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 11:32:08 AM »
Thanks very much for all the advice, I am so glad I found this site, you guys are awesome. I hope to get to a shop tomorrow or Tuesday, I have no doubt that I will bring a Canon home .

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 11:32:08 AM »