October 22, 2014, 08:18:20 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE 2* The Red Dot EOS DSLR  (Read 10128 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
*UPDATE 2* The Red Dot EOS DSLR
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »
*UPDATE 2* Well a development DSLR did get announced. Not sure it’ll be the “5D Mark III”, but it will probably fit in between the 5D3 and 1D X as far as price goes. No timeframe was given by Canon on this one.

I think this may be the first time Canon has announced an “in development” DSLR.

Read More

*UPDATE* May be something, may be nothing  *BUSTED* [CR1] I was told a while ago about the C300, and a Super35 camera coming down the pipe. It was reported here a few times.

What I was also told, and never posted, was that a Super35 DSLR was also coming. The source initially thought that was what the 1D X was going to be.

I’ll see if I can find out more tomorrow.

A lot of chatter about a red “C” The Twitter, Facebook and blogging world has become more interested in that EOS DSLR camera with the red “C” branding on it, than the C300 itself.

What is it?! There are a few theories about it.

1. It’s a new DSLR and it will be announced soon. Canon leaked it.
  2. It’s a 1D X and the logo will appear on the final production camera.
  3. It was added to the slide to show the cohesiveness of the new camera with the existing EOS family.
  4. They want to be more like Leica.

My opinion is it’s either #2 or #3. I can’t imagine no one at Canon picked up on the red “C” and leaked a new camera. I’m also of the belief a full EOS-1 sized body would not be where the 5D series heads.

If you look closely at the EOS-1 body and above the red “c”, you’ll notice there is no branding or model number of any kind. Normally that’s where “EOS-1D” would appear. If it was a new camera, there would probably be something else visible besides the “C”.

There will be more to come on this topic I’m sure. I’ll let the rest of the world dissect what it means!

cr

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:32:11 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

*UPDATE 2* The Red Dot EOS DSLR
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »

theuserjohnny

Re: The Red Dot EOS DSLR
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »
It def looks like a 1DX.

Justin

Re: The Red Dot EOS DSLR
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »
Very interesting. If the new c300 is a super 35mm sensor then why would Canon put the label on the full frame 1Dx?

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
Re: *UPDATE* The Red Dot EOS DSLR
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

alleng

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »
Also a new video DSLR Full Frame!!!

From a new engadget post

HOLLYWOOD, California, November 3, 2011/TOKYO, November 4, 2011 – Canon Inc. today announced that the company is developing a new-concept EOS-series digital single-lens reflex (SLR) camera. Incorporating an enhanced version of the video-capture capability offered in the current EOS-series lineup, the new camera will be ideally suited for cinematographic and other digital high-resolution production applications. The model will be equipped with a 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor and, enabling the recording of 4K video* (at a frame rate of 24P, with Motion-JPEG compression), will make possible the type of exceptional image quality and sublime imaging expression to be expected from the next generation of "EOS Movies."

The announcement coincides with the launch of the Cinema EOS System, marking Canon's full-fledged entry into the digital high-resolution production industry. The new professional digital cinematography system spans the lens, digital cinema camera and digital SLR camera product categories.

Further details regarding the new EOS digital SLR camera currently under development, including the product name, specifications and scheduled launch date, have yet to be decided.

Dave

MacSKY

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:48:10 PM »
Does anyone know if the sample videos shot for this evenings announcement are up on the web yet?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:48:10 PM »

Zuuyi

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:49:14 PM »
Time for either a 2-4D or for the 5D series to get split in half.  I just hope it's coming out soon.

lenspimp

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 08:58:20 PM »
Time for either a 2-4D or for the 5D series to get split in half.  I just hope it's coming out soon.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/cinemaeos/

Son of Daguerre

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »
To those who thought it was an EOS-1D X (myself among their number), I don't think they're wrong.

Remember Canon's "special-edition" (and über-expensive) studio version of the EOS 7D? I think this is the same idea - a modified version of the EOS-1D X (although it will probably be a greater departure from the mainstream EOS-1D X than the Studio Version EOS 7D was to the standard EOS 7D, I think it will be basically the same concept - a video-oriented DSLR based in form and function on the EOS-1D X).

hmmm

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 09:18:04 PM »
The 24 mm and 85mm cinema eos lenses are on display here also.   With a red ring AND a red mount flange it is a good bet these will have double red-ring prices as well.

So much for the 24,50, and 85 rumore being about replacing the long-in-the-tooth classic EF primes.   Hmmfh.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 09:26:30 PM »
Now a lot of people use 2 cameras for difeerent purposes, ie 5dmk2+7d (I have 7d and was waiting to have also 5dmk3 like many others). Does Canon really want us now to have 3 or 4 cameras?  ;D
1. FF for studio and landscape, low noise
2. APS-C for sports and nature, fast AF and long tele
3. EOS "C" DSLR FF, compatible with EF lenses, AF working
(maybe also) 4. another cheaper in series EOS "C" super 35mm, compatible also with new cinema zooms, focus manual

I know that for many people EOS movie is not a fun at all but think also that a lot of people waiting for 5dmk3 counted to see improvements in video capabilities as well. Now they have to buy 2 new cameras (instead of one 5dmk3) to have same fun on a new level? :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:28:14 PM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »
Does anyone know if the sample videos shot for this evenings announcement are up on the web yet?

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/

Looks Sick!
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »

High Res version: http://vimeo.com/30215350
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 03:16:02 AM »
I am almost willing to bet it will not be the 1D X.  Canon does not spring surprises on themselves, and they have been working long enough on a 4K video system (I believe, though I did not see it in person, that Canon's "complete 4K video system" shown in New York a while back was closer in size to a DSLR than to a camcorder, or at least it was intended to be.)

While it is true that Canon would not have wanted to steal the thunder of this announcement by announcing equal-or-better video marketing bullet points (4K vid) in the 1D X announcement, this is no basis for arguing that the 1D X's "true specification" would not have been announced to avoid it.  The 1D X already seems to be at the limit of what is now possible to achieve in a quality system that retains DSLR characteristics - we shouldn't forget that Canon has reached a real and spectacular milestone with the 1D X in sampling video from across the sensor and in reportedly mostly removing video wobble.  4K video will require substantially more power to achieve the same sort of specs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 03:16:02 AM »