September 15, 2014, 11:02:43 PM

Author Topic: Why the serial number shown in the Bridge is not the same as that on the lens  (Read 825 times)

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
I noticed that the serial number in the Metadata in Bridge of my 70-200, 2.8 II lens is not the same as that one which is on the lens. For my 5D mk3 and 24-70 the serial numbers matches.

Is the serial of your 70-200 lens the same in the Bridge metadata and lens itself?

canon rumors FORUM

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
yeah mine's the same way.

my 70-200 2.8 II shows something to the tune of "00000cbd00b" or some nonsense

I think it's because it was an early 2010 copy that didn't share this info with cameras properly back then?  I dunno...
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Yes, my is "0000c319ae" but on the lens itself it's totally different. Thanks for your reply. ;)

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Yes, my is "0000c319ae" but on the lens itself it's totally different. Thanks for your reply. ;)

Your lens s/n end with 6094 by chance?

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile

Jim

No.  Why should it?

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

Jim

No.  Why should it?

I figured you might be getting hex instead of decimal, but that is evidently not the case.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

BL

• 7D
    • View Profile
I just checked my other lenses and anything purchased prior to 2011 don't report serials properly in Bridge - 100L, 85L II, 70-200L II, etc.

The only lens that relays serials properly is the 40 STM, which I picked up most recently bout a year ago.

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
I just checked my other lenses and anything purchased prior to 2011 don't report serials properly in Bridge - 100L, 85L II, 70-200L II, etc.

The only lens that relays serials properly is the 40 STM, which I picked up most recently bout a year ago.

I'll have to try mine.  I didn't think that the lens serial number has ever been in the metadata. 

BL

• 7D
    • View Profile
...Scratch that theory, just shot with my buddy's 70-200 II which is less than a month old and it does not record serial numbers either in bridge.  Oh well!

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
I also bought mine at the beginning oh this year and Bridge doesn't recognise the right serial number. The first two digits are 10, which should mean that it was produced in October 2013 (at least this chart is true - http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Lens-Aging.aspx)

canon rumors FORUM