April 19, 2014, 09:49:18 AM

Author Topic: Concept Cinema DSLR Official  (Read 20943 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Concept Cinema DSLR Official
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »

Coming Attractions: New Canon Digital SLR Camera Under Development

HOLLYWOOD, California, November 3, 2011/TOKYO, November 4, 2011 – Canon Inc. today announced that the company is developing a new-concept EOS-series digital single-lens reflex (SLR) camera. Incorporating an enhanced version of the video-capture capability offered in the current EOS-series lineup, the new camera will be ideally suited for cinematographic and other digital high-resolution production applications. The model will be equipped with a 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor and, enabling the recording of 4K video (at a frame rate of 24P, with Motion-JPEG compression), will make possible the type of exceptional image quality and sublime imaging expression to be expected from the next generation of “EOS Movies.”

The announcement coincides with the launch of the Cinema EOS System, marking Canon’s full-fledged entry into the digital high-resolution production industry. The new professional digital cinematography system spans the lens, digital cinema camera and digital SLR camera product categories.

Further details regarding the new EOS digital SLR camera currently under development, including the product name, specifications and scheduled launch date, have yet to be decided.

EOS Movie: A New Industry Standard

Movie recording has been a standard feature in all newly introduced Canon EOS-series digital SLR cameras since the launch of the EOS 5D Mark II in November 2008. Coupled with the diverse array of lenses in Canon’s current interchangeable EF lens lineup, this feature has heralded rich visual expressive possibilities, delivering such characteristics as beautiful image blur and low noise while also garnering kudos for the mobility and maneuverability made possible through the cameras’ compact and lightweight body designs.

The impressive images created by the combination of Canon EOS digital SLR cameras and EF lenses, known as “EOS Movies,” have already earned their screen credentials on the sets of multiple productions, from television commercials and artist promotion videos to episodic dramas and even major motion pictures.

cr

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:34:59 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Concept Cinema DSLR Official
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »

Justin

Re: Concept Cinema DSLR Official
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:57:42 PM »
It just keeps getting more interesting. Wish it were a small format body though, sans grip. I don't understand why the sensor would only record the size of an APS-H for video in 4k though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:59:28 PM by Justin »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »
probably because the new "cine"-Lenses [especially 30-300, 14.5-60] will only cover a Super 35 = roughly APS-H image circle.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »
Well this looks like the "filler" that will be between the 1DX and the 5D3 in price.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »
probably because the new "cine"-Lenses [especially 30-300, 14.5-60] will only cover a Super 35 = roughly APS-H image circle.

Which means they would work on APS-C sensor cameras.

coltsfreak18

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:10:14 PM »
Each lens supports 4K (4096 x 2160 pixels) resolution, which delivers a pixel count four times that of Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels), and offers compatibility with industry-standard Super 35 mm-equivalent cameras as well as APS-C cameras.*1 (Not compatible with 35mm full-frame or APS-H camera sensors.).

It seems as if the zooms are not compatible with either full frame or APS-H, but are compatible with APS-C and Super35.
The primes, however, are compatible with everything full frame and below.  They still seem to be great lenses for APS-C cameras, like the 7d2.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:16:21 PM »
Good, a cinema camera that's as unwieldy as a 1D to hold and film with, lots of 3rd-party rig-makers are going to be happy.

Now that all that video silliness is out of the way can we please have a nice, simple, cheap FF camera without raw video, with superb AF, without 10fps, for those of us who actually like Photography?
Also, a 1D4 replacement with 10fps, superb AF, and higher pixel density than the 1D4 for the wildlifers of us who are getting ignored right now? (even a 7D2 with 18MP in APS-C if it had better AF, better sealing, more durability, and the IQ of the 1D4 would be nice.)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:16:21 PM »

elusive1

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
This is great news. I just hope it comes out soon. As for DSLRs being unwieldy vs traditional video cameras, I don't think that's true at all. I've owned and used a number of cine and video cameras over the years, and the DSLR form factor is so great for handheld stuff compared to the traditional video cameras.

Philip Bloom mentioned that he does not prefer the form factor of the new-ish Sony FS100 or the Panasonic AF 101 video cams because you need a rig for it and it's very difficult to shoot handheld.

Personally, I really prefer the DSLR form factor for video. It's easy to hold, stealthy and just more fun to shoot with.

I wonder how much it's going to cost? Probably really expensive, but I'd gladly pay for something like a DSLR / video hybrid that works well.

Son of Daguerre

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 09:25:24 PM »
To those who thought it was an EOS-1D X (myself among their number), I don't think they're wrong.

Remember Canon's "special-edition" (and über-expensive) studio version of the EOS 7D? I think this is the same idea - a modified version of the EOS-1D X (although it will probably be a greater departure from the mainstream EOS-1D X than the Studio Version EOS 7D was to the standard EOS 7D, I think it will be basically the same concept - a video-oriented DSLR based in form and function on the EOS-1D X).

Justin

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 09:26:04 PM »
I wonder how much this new camera will eat into the profits of the 20,000 rig. We probably won't see it till around the same July time frame as the C primes.

Zuuyi

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 09:30:30 PM »
Good, a cinema camera that's as unwieldy as a 1D to hold and film with, lots of 3rd-party rig-makers are going to be happy.

Now that all that video silliness is out of the way can we please have a nice, simple, cheap FF camera without raw video, with superb AF, without 10fps, for those of us who actually like Photography?
Also, a 1D4 replacement with 10fps, superb AF, and higher pixel density than the 1D4 for the wildlifers of us who are getting ignored right now? (even a 7D2 with 18MP in APS-C if it had better AF, better sealing, more durability, and the IQ of the 1D4 would be nice.)

I like video, BUT.

I want a FF Camera meant for Still Photography.  I don't need more than 4fps; I want 30MP but 18MP is fine.  I just want a new 5D.  Not for me to buy; but so that the 5D2 get's put back on CLP and that I can get it for $1600 or less.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 09:32:08 PM »

Sorry, but in a word, "no."   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sandro

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »
after 3y they finally admitted to do line skipping

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
"(...) new-concept EOS-series digital single-lens reflex (SLR) camera". It means for me, that it's not going to be 5mdk3. The are to split still and video. 5dmk3 in terms of still will probably be focused on still photography (36MP and so on) with limited video capabilities. New C line (and new FF video camera, yet under development) will be focused on video, with limited photography capabilities.

As far as this forum was for assumptions and rumors, I could speculate, that the EOS hierarchy could look like this in the future

STILL photography line
5d3 - middle market, 1d(whatever new, not mentioned yet) - top model for studio
7d2 - middle market, 1dx - top model for sports, nature
the rest

VIDEO Line
C300 - high end (as far)
EOS "C" FF (under development) - middle market
EOS "C" super 35 (not mentioned) - low market
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »
I don't understand why the sensor would only record the size of an APS-H for video in 4k though.

Probably because the centre of the sensor (an area approximately APS-H size) is the exact number of pixels for 4K video recording without doing any line skipping or pixel binning.   They said approx. 80% so 4000/0.8=5000 and using 3:2 ratio that gives a 16.7MP FF sensor.  They said "approximately" so that could mean it's the 1DX sensor (18MP).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:03:31 PM by Meh »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »