September 16, 2014, 11:48:32 PM

Author Topic: The Leica M9 Experience  (Read 10518 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
The Leica M9 Experience
« on: September 26, 2010, 06:29:06 AM »

Yes, I wrote a Leica review

Please don’t give me heck for it, Leica and Canon can get along. Rest assured no Nikon review will ever appear here.

I did this because people ask me why I use one, so this seemed like a good way to tell them. It’s more of an experience review than a technical review of the camera.

I also did this because it’s a 1 of a kind camera, there is no other full frame camera like it. There should be more of them, and Canon should make one.

If you read it, I hope you enjoy it.

Read the review

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

The Leica M9 Experience
« on: September 26, 2010, 06:29:06 AM »

jouster

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: The Leica M9 Experience
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 07:25:26 AM »
Interesting. Leica and Canon can certainly " get along" as you put it, since they aren't really competitors. Maybe a very few people will be choosing between an M9 and a 1 series. I'd get a 5D2 or 1D4 and some great glass for the same dollars.

“...if someone doesn’t think this is the best camera in the world, they don’t deserve to own one.”

I know this is not your opinion, CR Guy, but for me it crystallizes what I find annoying and pretentious about some Leica shooters I've read online and in magazines. It's also flat out wrong.

What I take from this review is an increasing desire for a digital Canonet, with a 1.3 crop (at the least) sensor. Not holding my breath, though.

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 07:27:27 AM »
Nice one, very balanced. None of that "bought priesthood" propaganda from fanatical zealots. Great shots as well.  8)
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 07:40:54 AM »
"It does, but this camera isn’t about specs. It’s about user experience in making a photograph."

"User experience". I think I've heard that used many times before for another product...  :P If I got a penny everytime I heard that used for that fruity product I'd have enough dough to buy a 1DsIII.  ;D

"If someone doesn’t think this is the best camera in the world, they don’t deserve to own one”.
  ::)

And there it is again, if I got a penny everytime I heard that uttered by elitist equipment collectors, be it for cars, gadgets or some other mass-produced consumer product, I'd have enough dough to buy a Veyron...  :D
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

Wolfdiary

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 07:45:23 AM »
Great article, I was just researching the possibility of getting a leica as a street camera. I found the review much more real world rather than just a spec fest and pointless comparisons. Ideally I would run around town with a 5dmk2 and the 70-200is 2.8, but have the leica around my neck for close shots. For now the canon s95 will have to do, but it's actually a great little camera. I met Douglas Kirkland 2 weeks ago and he always carries the s90 in his pocket... Frequently taking it out for the shot.

Overall I'm sick of technical comparisons. I completely understand having a camera that makes you want to take photos, and one that isn't as intrusive as a Dslr. If the battery life was better I'd say this would perfectly suit me, but until then I'm taking my 7D and 30mm 1.4 as my photo journal camera.

Thanks again Craig

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 07:49:06 AM »
"It does, but this camera isn’t about specs. It’s about user experience in making a photograph."

"User experience". I think I've heard that used many times before for another product...  :P If I got a penny everytime I heard that used for that fruity product I'd have enough dough to buy a 1DsIII.  ;D

"If someone doesn’t think this is the best camera in the world, they don’t deserve to own one”.
  ::)

And there it is again, if I got a penny everytime I heard that uttered by elitist equipment collectors, be it for cars, gadgets or some other mass-produced consumer product, I'd have enough dough to buy a Veyron...  :D

Hey, I updated your points a bit. "User experience" is a stupid catchphrase. So it's gone. :)

I also removed the quote, I think it went against the context of what I was trying to say without sounding like an elitest. I'm not, I just like the camera. :)

I hope that's ok.
cr
canonrumors.com

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »
What it boils down to is a DSLR is big, heavy and conspicuous and this puts it at a distinct disadvantage for street and travel photography. M9 fills that niche admirably, albeit with quite a few compromises - manual focus being one of them.

Outside of those uses, I personally cannot see much point to getting the M9. I'm sure that if Canon built a reasonably-priced EVIL, that would take a lot of wind out of the M9's expensive sails. I would get one just for street/travel photography, and use my DSLR for everything else.

The other benefit of the M9 is the corner-to-corner sharpness of the wide-angles on offer. Again this is something that Canon can and probably will address at some stage, although it can be mitigated somewhat by stopping down to f/8, if shallow DoF and fast shutter are less of a concern.  Perhaps the patented 14-24mm will rectify this issue.

Enjoy the M9, and hope its resale value holds after Canon release a high-quality EVIL that blows the M9 away ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »

mgrayson

Eyeglasses wearer
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 08:09:26 AM »
You don't by any chance wear glasses, do you? I have an Epson RD-1 and just can't jam my eye close enough to the viewfinder. Diopter correction means taking my glasses off ever time I bring the camera to my face. It's hard to get unbiased advice on this point, as no Leica forum member would ever admit that the viewfinder is suboptimal in any way.  ;)

richy

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 08:10:23 AM »
I think I get what you mean about user experience.I feel the same way about medium format. Some of it is definitely just in my head, but some of it is real. Some cameras work in a different way forcing you to work in a different way, sometimes that way is better for some things. I spent a couple of years taking terrible landscape stuff, then I got a MF 6x7 and a big part of it was probably just being able to compose the shot on the ground glass and being forced to do it slowly and think about it. Others have possibly rightly said the same could be done via live view.
There is a dealer in the UK who does a lot of leica stuff and their slogan is something terribly poncy and elitist. There is a set of leica owners as you mention for whom it is about making up for their having very small willies, but that doesn;t detract that leica makes some very capable cameras. They are definitely more suited to street work than say  sports, but I would argue theyre more suited to street work than dslr's.
I have to admit when I looked at a rangefinder it was at bessa's not leicas :)

kevbo

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »

Wonderful article - was pleasantly surprised this morning to see it show up in my RSS. I'm a 5D2 shooter who just recently decided to jump the shark and try out an m9 because of its size and maintained image quality. If the shooting experience  turns out to be that much better, then that's even greater. Found a new 50 Summilux, which I now have after selling one kidney (almost serious) but awaiting an m9.

Had known there were problems with circ polarizers. Can you describe the device you mention in your article a little more? What's it called?

Thanks for a very well-written article. It mirrors much of my thoughts and I can't wait to try.
K

olav

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 09:54:02 AM »
I know it sounds worn out but user experience is what you need when using a very different "tool".
I know from my own experience with different stuff that it takes some time to get the best results but generally its worth trying. Of course, with the M9 price just trying is not possible for many of us so you might consider buying a used M4-M7 to see if you "can handle life without AF". Have fun with it!

Maldical

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »
Nice review.  I carry around an Olympus E-P2 for casual shooting instead of my 7D for similar reasons.  I mount a manual focus/aperture lens on it as well.  It really makes it feel like it's your own image.  It would be a Leica but can't justify the cost to my better half.

scalesusa

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 12:28:08 PM »
The Leica brings back memories of my first real camera, a Argus C-3 rangefinder bought new back in the early 1960's at Talls Camera in Burien (Seattle).  I used it with a external light meter. I generally used Kodachrome slide film rather than print film.  I used the C3 all thru the time I was in college, and for a couple of years afterword.  My first 35mm SLR was a Canon FTQL in about 1969, and built a darkroom in the garage of my first house in 1967.   I mostly developed B&W film, when I tried developing ektrachrome slide film, I often got a slight blue-green tinge.  I also dabbled with color printing, but after the first child came along, we moved to a larger house, and I had other priorities and no longer had a darkroom.

There is little question in my mind that a range finder camera is a unique experience, and produces excellent sharp images with little effort.  You do not have that big mirror banging up and down, not the large focal plane shutter, just a tiny click from the diaphram shutter built in to the body, and then  the huge pop and  flash from those press 25 bulbs.

Of course, you also did not get the advantage of thru the lens viewing, or the built-in light meter.  You were able to exchange lenses, but it was never something I was interested in trying.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 12:28:08 PM »

Son of Daguerre

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 12:50:01 PM »
Quote from: Craig
...and was made solely for still images.

Last I checked, the EOS-1D Mark III doesn't shoot video  ???
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:44:42 PM by Canon Rumors »

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
Quote from: Craig
...and was made solely for still images.

Last I checked, the EOS-1D Mark III doesn't shoot video  ???

All that writing and you comment about that?

Fixed

:D
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »