December 19, 2014, 08:04:43 AM

Author Topic: Gimbal Head: Wimberley Vs Jobu  (Read 8429 times)

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
Re: Gimbal Head: Wimberley Vs Jobu
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 12:21:13 PM »
Hey Dylan- Congrats!

I love my Wimberly II.  Also, I love SD Zoo.  I was in SD last year and went down to that private showing "Zoo La La".  That was great- get to front of the room when they start, have a flash diffuser and your 24-70II for best results.

You may also want to venture to Coronado Island and walk along the beach.  I shot some guys biking on the breakers, a beach wedding, and all kinds of interesting stuff.  The Gas Lamp district is also fun and has great night street photography.

You will love your gimbal.

I have the RRS PG-02 LLR, and I've used the Wimberley II.  Both are excellent. 

The RRS setup allows multirow pano shots with regular lenses, and it breaks down into two pieces for easier transport.  Its side-mount design lets you reach 'under' the lens from either side to access rings/controls.

Regarding the Wimberley, I think the P-10 may be too small.  For superteles, you need a P-20 at least, longer ones for larger lenses (http://www.tripodhead.com/products/lens-plates-main.cfm).  Personally, I went with a RRS replacement lens foot.

Got it. Cool, thanks Neuro ;)

PS. My co-worker has 4 VIP tickets to the Wild Animal Park, San Diego. We will have backstage treatment - getting very close to the animals. My co-workers and I thinking to spend a weekend there.

http://www.sdzsafaripark.org/
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 12:21:13 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 01:07:01 PM »
Personally I chose the Jobu Pro 2 as the gimbal for my 600mm f/4 L II. I looked at the Wimberley, Mongoose and RRS Pano. There really isn't much difference between the Wimberley and Jobu, same basic thing, same weight. The Jobu is a bit beefier, and has a nice lock for the inner arm, but otherwise, they are the same thing. I got the Jobu because I got it a little cheaper thanks to a sale on Amazon.

I tried out the Mongoose, which seems to function the same as the RRS Pano. These are side-mount heads...you attach the lens to the joint where the wimberley/jobu attach the inner arm. They don't quite work the same as a true gimbal, and for whatever reason, the Mongoose felt more restrictive. I guess I just like having my lens return to base balance due to gravity.

I've shot thousands of bird and wildlife photos with the Jobu Pro 2, and I haven't got a single complaint about it.  LensCoat had a specially designed coat for the Jobu, so I was able to camo my whole setup with lenscoat (tropod legs, gimbal, and lens), which was also ideal. I believe there is a lenscoat for the mongoose, however I couldn't find anything other than a camo carrying bag for the RRS Pano.

If you picked up the Wimberley, then you shouldn't ever have any problems.

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »
My WimberleyII Arrived today....AWESOME ;) Thanks everyone.

Congrats on your new acquisition.  8)

Northbird

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • "Be a rainbow in somebody else's cloud" - Maya A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »
I've been using the Jobu Jr 3 on a Feisol 3372 as my lightweight setup for a 7D and 600 F4 MKII.  Been very pleased with it.  The Jobu gear is very well made and reliable. 
My Flickr Images

Canon 7D Mark II | Canon 7D | EF 600 F4 L II | EF 300 F2.8 L | EF 70-200 F2.8 II | EF 17-40  F4 L | EF 100 F2.8 L | EF-S 10-22

Lightmaster

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 06:02:17 PM »
the wimberley is nice but imho overpriced.
you get 99% if not 100% with a induro gh2 (benro gh2) for half the price.
yes i had them both so i speak from experience.

wimberley does not use ball bearings, in a 600 euro gimbal.
that´s something that has always puzzled me, for that price i expect sealed ball bearings. thought the wimberley runs smooth and seems to have no issues.

the jobu bwg pro 2 has maintenance free ball bearings.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »
Hey Dylan- Congrats!

I love my Wimberly II.  Also, I love SD Zoo.  I was in SD last year and went down to that private showing "Zoo La La".  That was great- get to front of the room when they start, have a flash diffuser and your 24-70II for best results.

You may also want to venture to Coronado Island and walk along the beach.  I shot some guys biking on the breakers, a beach wedding, and all kinds of interesting stuff.  The Gas Lamp district is also fun and has great night street photography.

You will love your gimbal.

I have the RRS PG-02 LLR, and I've used the Wimberley II.  Both are excellent. 

The RRS setup allows multirow pano shots with regular lenses, and it breaks down into two pieces for easier transport.  Its side-mount design lets you reach 'under' the lens from either side to access rings/controls.

Regarding the Wimberley, I think the P-10 may be too small.  For superteles, you need a P-20 at least, longer ones for larger lenses (http://www.tripodhead.com/products/lens-plates-main.cfm).  Personally, I went with a RRS replacement lens foot.

Got it. Cool, thanks Neuro ;)

PS. My co-worker has 4 VIP tickets to the Wild Animal Park, San Diego. We will have backstage treatment - getting very close to the animals. My co-workers and I thinking to spend a weekend there.

http://www.sdzsafaripark.org/

Thanks Scott for the info ;)
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Personally I chose the Jobu Pro 2 as the gimbal for my 600mm f/4 L II. I looked at the Wimberley, Mongoose and RRS Pano. There really isn't much difference between the Wimberley and Jobu, same basic thing, same weight. The Jobu is a bit beefier, and has a nice lock for the inner arm, but otherwise, they are the same thing. I got the Jobu because I got it a little cheaper thanks to a sale on Amazon.

I tried out the Mongoose, which seems to function the same as the RRS Pano. These are side-mount heads...you attach the lens to the joint where the wimberley/jobu attach the inner arm. They don't quite work the same as a true gimbal, and for whatever reason, the Mongoose felt more restrictive. I guess I just like having my lens return to base balance due to gravity.

I've shot thousands of bird and wildlife photos with the Jobu Pro 2, and I haven't got a single complaint about it.  LensCoat had a specially designed coat for the Jobu, so I was able to camo my whole setup with lenscoat (tropod legs, gimbal, and lens), which was also ideal. I believe there is a lenscoat for the mongoose, however I couldn't find anything other than a camo carrying bag for the RRS Pano.

If you picked up the Wimberley, then you shouldn't ever have any problems.

Thanks jrista.
I saw some youtube clips about Jobu II, I'm impressed. The price is slightly more than Wimberley II, therefore, I settled with Wimberley II. This is my 1st gimbal head, so far, I like the feel of wimberley II.

I'm putting extra money toward decent tripod instead ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 06:52:31 PM »

Congrats on your new acquisition.  8)

Thanks Click,

Believe it or not, I have been shooting my 400mm f2.8 IS II on my cheapy: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687335-REG/Oben_AC_1410_BA_0_AC_1410_Aluminum_Tripod_w.html

It's day & night dif. compared to Wimberley II ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:57:03 PM by Dylan777 »

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
Thanks Northbird and Lightmaster for the info :)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 08:23:29 PM »
Hi Dylan, my experience to date.

2 x Wimberley 11 units
1 x RRS Pano
1 Jobu II

I've used the Wimberley units for several years, before that the version i units, can't fault them, they just keep working, smoothly & without fuss.

I bought the RRS Pano as I felt it would be a great replacement for the Wimberleys, and in some situations it is, on a Tripod, where you want to do Pano work etc, very smooth (better than the Wimberley), but I found in a vehicle (Safari) the Pano tends to load the weight to the side so vibration of the vehicle ensures the Pano head keeps slipping of vertical, not huge, but I've since gone back to the Wimberley units for Safari, RRS Pano for everything else.

I bought the Jobu as a lighter weight alternative to the above two heads, does the job, but I don't think it's in same Build quality area as either the Wimberley and certainly not the RRS, but it's cheaper, by a lot, tends to sit in the cupboard these days.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
Hi Dylan, my experience to date.

2 x Wimberley 11 units
1 x RRS Pano
1 Jobu II

I've used the Wimberley units for several years, before that the version i units, can't fault them, they just keep working, smoothly & without fuss.

I bought the RRS Pano as I felt it would be a great replacement for the Wimberleys, and in some situations it is, on a Tripod, where you want to do Pano work etc, very smooth (better than the Wimberley), but I found in a vehicle (Safari) the Pano tends to load the weight to the side so vibration of the vehicle ensures the Pano head keeps slipping of vertical, not huge, but I've since gone back to the Wimberley units for Safari, RRS Pano for everything else.

I bought the Jobu as a lighter weight alternative to the above two heads, does the job, but I don't think it's in same Build quality area as either the Wimberley and certainly not the RRS, but it's cheaper, by a lot, tends to sit in the cupboard these days.

Sometimes, I wish I can go back to $99 P&S camera ::). Back in 2007(when I have no kids), you would NEVER-NEVER-NEVER be able talk me in spending $300 on a camera.

Now...nearly $1000 for a RRS Pano tripod head? ::) ::) ::) Ummmmmm, I'm gonna need couple glasses of wine red.

I have to think about this elm58.
Thanks

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 10:35:38 PM »
Thanks jrista.
I saw some youtube clips about Jobu II, I'm impressed. The price is slightly more than Wimberley II, therefore, I settled with Wimberley II. This is my 1st gimbal head, so far, I like the feel of wimberley II.

I'm putting extra money toward decent tripod instead ;)

There is really very little difference between the Jobu 2 and Wimberley II. Someone mentioned the Wimberley didn't have ball bearings. I guess that might be one of the reasons I ended up choosing the Jobu 2 (it is WICKED SMOOTH), but I don't really think it matters all that much in the end. The Wimberley felt just as solid to me...the main reason I got the Jobu Pro 2 was because it was on sale on Amazon, and I had a bunch of amazon points to throw at it (I actually got it really cheap). It's really hard to go wrong with either of them.

justaCanonuser

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 04:29:10 AM »

Congrats, Dylan! I use the WH-2 in rugged environments for years and never had any problems (loaded with a 500mm white one + TC's + 5D3 or 7D). Looks a bit battered now but still runs smoothly.

Btw I have my Wimberley mounted on a quite cheap but good Japanese quality tripod, the SLIK Pro 700DX. It is a straight and simple construction, bit bulky and not the lightest tripod. But after I read two lab reviews in German photozines that praised the Slik's excellent vibration damping quality I just tried it. I didn't regret it so far.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:32:03 AM by justaCanonuser »
5D3, 7D, film: EOS 3, Nikon FM-2, gear acquisition syndrome like collection of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 04:29:10 AM »

winglet

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 04:33:12 AM »
I have nothing bad to say about the Wimberly, I trialled one, use their plates, etc but I do feel that they became the industry standard partly because for a long time they were the only product in their category, albeit an excellent one. I think that they have some pretty stiff competition now though.

I use the RRS pano/gimbal with my 200-400mm which is hardly a small lens and I can't really praise it enough. Buttery-smooth and the build quality is like a work of art. I chose it because I also shoot panos and and the ability to re-purpose components was actually cheaper than two dedicated rigs. (Although added a rotator from Nodal Ninja for real estate interior 360's.)

And the mentioned ability to break it down into separate components is a huge plus - it's fun to show up at a nature shoot with just a tripod, my Glass Limo, and small gimbal bundle and have other shooters wonder where the rest of my gear is! I've only used it once shooting from a moving vehicle and didn't have issues with vertical slipping, but I had it on a monopod firmly clamped to the vehicle structure.

If only RRS didn't seem to price their stuff at roughly the same as gold/ounce... :o (Not that a Wimberly 2 is cheap!) Still, for the kind of $$ these mounts are supporting, a Chinese knockoff may not turn out to be a bargain.
Canon 1DX, 5DII | 50 f/1.2 | 85 f/1.2II | 100 f/2.8 Macro | 135 f/2 | 16-35 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8II | 70-200 f/2.8II | 200-400 f/4 1.4X | 8-15 f/4 Fisheye | 24 f/3.5TS | 4X 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT | Fuji X100s

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
Thanks justaCanonuser. With big lens, the gimbal makes shooting so much easy.

Thanks winglet for the info. If I go with RRS, this will be the set: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/PG-02-FG-Full-Gimbal-Head.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »