July 23, 2014, 05:00:06 PM

Author Topic: Gimbal Head: Wimberley Vs Jobu  (Read 6768 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Gimbal Head: Wimberley Vs Jobu
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »
I bought the RRS Pano as I felt it would be a great replacement for the Wimberleys, and in some situations it is, on a Tripod, where you want to do Pano work etc, very smooth (better than the Wimberley), but I found in a vehicle (Safari) the Pano tends to load the weight to the side so vibration of the vehicle ensures the Pano head keeps slipping of vertical, not huge, but I've since gone back to the Wimberley units for Safari, RRS Pano for everything else.

If I understand your point, that is one significant difference between a side-mount and a bottom-mount gimbal.  With the bottom-mount (Wimberley II or RRS full gimbal), you can position the center of mass below the up/down pivot point.  That means the lens will level itself if released. A side-mount must be fully balanced.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »

winglet

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »
@Dylan777,

my pleasure, I don't think you can go wrong with either Wimberly or RRS. If I may suggest, if you do consider RRS do look at the side-mount gimbal as well. It would be ideal for your 400mm and after using both full-gimbal and side-mounts, I have complete confidence in the side-gimbal for my 200-400mm. (Works beautifully with the RSS replacement foot).

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9072/.f

If you later really desired the full gimbal version, you could conceivably purchase the components later to make the side-gimbal a full gimbal.

Anyway you've probably seen this but a short video that explains the difference. Most manufacturers make the traditional full gimbal so some may not even be aware of the side option.

PG-02 Pano-Gimbal Heads on Vimeo Small | Large
Canon 1DX, 5DII | 50 f/1.2 | 85 f/1.2II | 100 f/2.8 Macro | 135 f/2 | 16-35 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8II | 70-200 f/2.8II | 200-400 f/4 1.4X | 8-15 f/4 Fisheye | 24 f/3.5TS | 4X 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT | Fuji X100s

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 11:39:59 AM »
@Dylan777,

my pleasure, I don't think you can go wrong with either Wimberly or RRS. If I may suggest, if you do consider RRS do look at the side-mount gimbal as well. It would be ideal for your 400mm and after using both full-gimbal and side-mounts, I have complete confidence in the side-gimbal for my 200-400mm. (Works beautifully with the RSS replacement foot).

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9072/.f

If you later really desired the full gimbal version, you could conceivably purchase the components later to make the side-gimbal a full gimbal.

Anyway you've probably seen this but a short video that explains the difference. Most manufacturers make the traditional full gimbal so some may not even be aware of the side option.

PG-02 Pano-Gimbal Heads on Vimeo

Thanks again winglet for the info

The full gimbal package got me interest more. Trust me, I believe in "buy it one & buy it right" theory ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:52:21 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Terrierist

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »
Happy with my Benro head.  Although I haven't tried (or even seen) a Wimberley.

+1

My Benro head and Benro tripod are doing the job without reservation for me.
Canon 7D w/15-85IS: 5DIII w/ 35f/2 IS, 85f1.8 135f/2.0L, 400f/5.6L w/1.4EX III, 70-300f/4-5.6L, Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VR, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

weixing

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »
Hi,
    I have the BWG-Pro Gimbal and it's can convert to both side mount or full gimbal mount. But I prefer the full gimbal over the side mount because you can adjust the center of gravity with a full gimbal... useful when you mount a flash or a mic on your camera which change the center of gravity.

Anyway, I prefer when I point my lens at any angle, the lens stay there when I release my hand without the need to tighten the tension knob or lock it down.

Have a nice day.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2014, 03:36:20 PM »
The full gimbal package got my interest more. Trust me, I believe in "buy it one & buy it right" theory ;)

The point of the side-mount gimbal isn't that it's cheaper.  Like you, I had planned to get the full gimbal initially.  I called and asked RRS, and they actually recommended the side over the full (meaning less revenue for them).  According to them, there's no difference in support.  The side mount allows me to reach under the lens to easily access the focus/preset rings, buttons, etc., through the space that would otherwise be occupied by the bottom mount.   The side mount is also fewer pieces, so it's lighter and less cumbersome for transport.

Personally, my RRS PG-02 LLR works perfectly with my 600/4 L IS II, with bodies from the 1D X to the EOS M, with TCs, a 600EX-RT + Better Beamer, etc.

Also, with an L-bracket on the camera and a nodal slide, the PG-02 LLR becomes a multi row pano rig (as can the full gimbal, by replacing the cradle clamp with an FAS sliding clamp).

One final thing to consider, when using a gimbal having a leveling base on the tripod is extraordinarily helpful, and if you plan to convert to a pano rig, one is necessary.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »
Ihave the BWG-Pro Gimbal and it's can convert to both side mount or full gimbal mount. But I prefer the full gimbal over the side mount because you can adjust the center of gravity with a full gimbal... useful when you mount a flash or a mic on your camera which change the center of gravity.

Anyway, I prefer when I point my lens at any angle, the lens stay there when I release my hand without the need to tighten the tension knob or lock it down.

I don't understand.  Mounting a flash or a mic on the camera, putting a flash on a bracket with a radio trigger on the camera, adding a TC behind the lens, using a different lens or camera – all of those change the center of mass for the load, and both a side mount and a 'full' (bottom mount) gimbal can compensate for that (provided your lens plate is sufficiently long, as the RRS replacement feet are).  When the load is correctly balanced on either type of gimbal, the lens stays where pointed when you release it, with no tension/locking.

The only difference with a full gimbal, where the height is adjustable, is that if you so choose, instead of fully balancing the load, you can intentionally unbalance it (center of mass below the pivot point for the pitch dimension) such that when you release the lens it returns to horizontal instead of remaining at the angle at which it was pointed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »
The full gimbal package got my interest more. Trust me, I believe in "buy it one & buy it right" theory ;)

The point of the side-mount gimbal isn't that it's cheaper.  Like you, I had planned to get the full gimbal initially.  I called and asked RRS, and they actually recommended the side over the full (meaning less revenue for them).  According to them, there's no difference in support.  The side mount allows me to reach under the lens to easily access the focus/preset rings, buttons, etc., through the space that would otherwise be occupied by the bottom mount.   The side mount is also fewer pieces, so it's lighter and less cumbersome for transport.

Personally, my RRS PG-02 LLR works perfectly with my 600/4 L IS II, with bodies from the 1D X to the EOS M, with TCs, a 600EX-RT + Better Beamer, etc.

Also, with an L-bracket on the camera and a nodal slide, the PG-02 LLR becomes a multi row pano rig (as can the full gimbal, by replacing the cradle clamp with an FAS sliding clamp).

One final thing to consider, when using a gimbal having a leveling base on the tripod is extraordinarily helpful, and if you plan to convert to a pano rig, one is necessary.

Thanks Neuro for your inputs.

Mounting the lens on side way could be an issue for me.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »

Yes, with the side-mount you need to support the weight of the lens with one hand until you can half-close the clamp, whereas the bottom mount takes the weight.

In my case, I figured that the lightest of my kids weighs more than the 1D X + 600 II, I hold them one-armed all the time without incident, and I value them far more than camera gear.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »

Yes, with the side-mount you need to support the weight of the lens with one hand until you can half-close the clamp, whereas the bottom mount takes the weight.

In my case, I figured that the lightest of my kids weighs more than the 1D X + 600 II, I hold them one-armed all the time without incident, and I value them far more than camera gear.

I REALLY have to think about this Neuro. What is the smoothness on RRS? The knobs on RRS look solid.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:41 PM »
I REALLY have to think about this Neuro. What is the smoothness on RRS? The knobs on RRS look solid.

Very smooth, the locks are solid.

IIRC, you're in LA/SoCal?  If so, it might be worth you and your lens taking a drive up to SLO, the only place you can actually try RRS gear before you buy it.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM »

Very smooth, the locks are solid.

IIRC, you're in LA/SoCal?  If so, it might be worth you and your lens taking a drive up to SLO, the only place you can actually try RRS gear before you buy it.

$1000 smoother? JK ;D

I'm still thinking the full set plus this: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3231/.f?sc=26&category=3554

I just don't see myself spending nearly $1k for just a tripod head Neuro  ::) I just don't see it yet  ::) ::) ::) Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I live in CA, 92708. 30mins south of LAX. About 4hrs from SLO. I'm have little concern driving up there to try out their gimbal head, because I might end up with one of their carbon fiber tripod.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:40:30 PM by Dylan777 »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »

I live in CA, 92708. 30mins south of LAX. About 4hrs from SLO. I'm have little concern driving up there to try out their gimbal head, because I might end up with one of their carbon fiber tripod.

That's really very Funny Dylan, and almost guaranteed if you down those couple of Red Wines along the way.

What ever you do, Do NOT Download the RRS 2014 Catalogue.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »
What ever you do, Do NOT Download the RRS 2014 Catalogue.
You are not helping, eml ;)

Greatland

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »
I have the Wemberley and the RRS feet...No issues with the Wemberley but IF I had it all to do over I would buy everything from RRS...all my feet, tripods, gimbals, monopods, heads...everything...just impossible to beat the quality of their stuff and I love how it is all interchangeable...very convenient!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »