September 23, 2014, 02:53:00 PM

Author Topic: Gimbal Head: Wimberley Vs Jobu  (Read 7405 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Gimbal Head: Wimberley Vs Jobu
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »

I live in CA, 92708. 30mins south of LAX. About 4hrs from SLO. I'm have little concern driving up there to try out their gimbal head, because I might end up with one of their carbon fiber tripod.

That's really very Funny Dylan, and almost guaranteed if you down those couple of Red Wines along the way.

What ever you do, Do NOT Download the RRS 2014 Catalogue.

The strenght seems awesome eml, but I prefer using sand bag...
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2014, 04:00:00 AM »
What ever you do, Do NOT Download the RRS 2014 Catalogue.
You are not helping, eml ;)

I know, Eldar sent me an email with a link to the Pentax 645z, it also said, "don't go here", took me a nano second to go there, then decide I probably absolutely need one of these   ::)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Synkka

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Synkka Imagining Flickr
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2014, 06:15:09 AM »
I have a Jobu Jnr 3 which is a great bit of kit, I think it's the best available in a small gimbal. I think you won't go wrong if you stick with RRS they make great kit and have excellent service and support. I think wimberley are fine however in a full size gimbal I think competitors are making more effort in weight and flexibility which makes them more attractive purchases.
In terms of a tripod I will be getting the new jobu tripod when it starts production in the next month or two :)

Northbird

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2014, 08:14:59 PM »
I have a Jobu Jnr 3 which is a great bit of kit, I think it's the best available in a small gimbal.

+1.  Completely agree.
My Flickr Images

Canon 7D | EF 600 F4 L II | EF 300 F2.8 L | EF 70-200 F2.8 II | EF 17-40 F4 L | EF 100 F2.8 L

weixing

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »
Ihave the BWG-Pro Gimbal and it's can convert to both side mount or full gimbal mount. But I prefer the full gimbal over the side mount because you can adjust the center of gravity with a full gimbal... useful when you mount a flash or a mic on your camera which change the center of gravity.

Anyway, I prefer when I point my lens at any angle, the lens stay there when I release my hand without the need to tighten the tension knob or lock it down.

I don't understand.  Mounting a flash or a mic on the camera, putting a flash on a bracket with a radio trigger on the camera, adding a TC behind the lens, using a different lens or camera – all of those change the center of mass for the load, and both a side mount and a 'full' (bottom mount) gimbal can compensate for that (provided your lens plate is sufficiently long, as the RRS replacement feet are).  When the load is correctly balanced on either type of gimbal, the lens stays where pointed when you release it, with no tension/locking.

The only difference with a full gimbal, where the height is adjustable, is that if you so choose, instead of fully balancing the load, you can intentionally unbalance it (center of mass below the pivot point for the pitch dimension) such that when you release the lens it returns to horizontal instead of remaining at the angle at which it was pointed.
    After reading your reply, I try again and no it doesn't work... :(
If there is no mic, the side mount will point and any angle when release without tension.
But if there is mic, the side mount will not balance when I point at any angle other than horizontal without tension... for example, if I point up and release my hand without tension, the lens will continue moving up until the camera body hit the gimbal base.

Anyway, it'll work if I applied a bit of tension, but sometime you forgot to applied the tension in the field (especially after some actions) and release the camera...  :P

Have a nice day.

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2014, 02:27:56 AM »
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I've been reading it daily with interest.  I've been seriously looking at Gimbal heads since my attempts at shooting the "red moon"  eclipse using my 300 + 2x on a ball head (some success but really challenging handling the setup in the dark when I loosened the ball screw to track the moon).  I have read everyone's comments and looked very seriously at the Wimberly, the Jobu lineup, the Custom Bracket and a variety of other brands.  I looked closely at the cheaper varieties like Optech (or even cheaper off-name knock-offs) and some more expensive heads like the Benro, the Surui or the Induro.  I've though long and hard about a side mount like the Sidekick or the RRS.  In the end I felt a flat platform mount would serve me better changing lenses or equipment in the field.  I don't plan to use the Gimbal that often but don't want to get something I'll regret just to save a few dollars.

Just pulled the trigger on the Lensmaster RH-2.  I hope it is what I need. 

Bye-bye, remaining balance on the Amex gift cards from the Canon rebate a few months ago (does that mean the Gimbal is "free?").
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:30:27 AM by JPAZ »
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

KeithBreazeal

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2014, 05:00:35 AM »
I like my Wimberley- strong enough for the heavier combinations.
5D Mark III and Celestron © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2014, 05:00:35 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2014, 08:23:20 AM »
After reading your reply, I try again and no it doesn't work... :(
If there is no mic, the side mount will point and any angle when release without tension.
But if there is mic, the side mount will not balance when I point at any angle other than horizontal without tension... for example, if I point up and release my hand without tension, the lens will continue moving up until the camera body hit the gimbal base.

Anyway, it'll work if I applied a bit of tension, but sometime you forgot to applied the tension in the field (especially after some actions) and release the camera...  :P

Did you rebalance the load after adding the mic?  It's lever, load and fulcrum from high school physics.  Adding or removing weight anywhere other than at the center of mass changes the position of the center of mass for the rig, and if the center of mass isn't at the fulcrum, the load isn't balanced.  If you put a mic or flash on the camera body, you need to loosen the clamp, slide the plate/foot back slightly to rebalance, then tighten the clamp again.

As long as you've got the right plate/foot for your lens, you should be able to balance the load properly so it moves freely and holds position at any angle. 

I suppose there may be some design quirk of the BWG-Pro that precludes achieving proper balance, I haven't used one.  I have no problem achieving proper balance with my RRS side gimbal, same thing on the 4th Gen Mongoose and Wimberley Sidemount gimbal heads that I've used.  I prefer the RRS version over the other two because the lateral positioning is adjustable; with the Mongoose and Sidemount, you need to use a low-profile foot with large lenses like my 600 II, and the low-profile feet don't make good handles for hand-carrying the lens.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »
Hi Dylan, my experience to date.

2 x Wimberley 11 units
1 x RRS Pano
1 Jobu II

I've used the Wimberley units for several years, before that the version i units, can't fault them, they just keep working, smoothly & without fuss.

I bought the RRS Pano as I felt it would be a great replacement for the Wimberleys, and in some situations it is, on a Tripod, where you want to do Pano work etc, very smooth (better than the Wimberley), but I found in a vehicle (Safari) the Pano tends to load the weight to the side so vibration of the vehicle ensures the Pano head keeps slipping of vertical, not huge, but I've since gone back to the Wimberley units for Safari, RRS Pano for everything else.

I bought the Jobu as a lighter weight alternative to the above two heads, does the job, but I don't think it's in same Build quality area as either the Wimberley and certainly not the RRS, but it's cheaper, by a lot, tends to sit in the cupboard these days.

Sometimes, I wish I can go back to $99 P&S camera ::). Back in 2007(when I have no kids), you would NEVER-NEVER-NEVER be able talk me in spending $300 on a camera.

Now...nearly $1000 for a RRS Pano tripod head? ::) ::) ::) Ummmmmm, I'm gonna need couple glasses of wine red.

I have to think about this elm58.
Thanks

Just want to thanks everyone for all wonderful feedbacks to this thread.

Final decision, I will stay with the Wimberley II for now. My tripod will be home today: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754168-REG/Manfrotto_MT057C3_G_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber_Tripod.html Can't wait to play with Geared Center Column feature.

Many thanks Gent's  :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »
Final decision, I will stay with the Wimberley II for now.

It's a great gimbal.

My tripod will be home today: Can't wait to play with Geared Center Column feature.

Reading the product description, it lists the best part of the geared center column feature:

...you can unscrew the center-post collar, remove the center column, and attach the collar directly to the included low-angle adapter (through the chassis).

Raising a center column adds a lot of instability/vibration.  Higher end tripods generally don't come with a center column at all.  There are limited situations where the loss of stability might be a worthwhile trade off, such as when shooting a series of individual studio headshots of people, where you can quickly adjust height with a center column (I used an adjustable chair instead).  But generally, I'm not a fan of a center column.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »
Final decision, I will stay with the Wimberley II for now.

It's a great gimbal.

My tripod will be home today: Can't wait to play with Geared Center Column feature.

Reading the product description, it lists the best part of the geared center column feature:

...you can unscrew the center-post collar, remove the center column, and attach the collar directly to the included low-angle adapter (through the chassis).

Raising a center column adds a lot of instability/vibration.  Higher end tripods generally don't come with a center column at all.  There are limited situations where the loss of stability might be a worthwhile trade off, such as when shooting a series of individual studio headshots of people, where you can quickly adjust height with a center column (I used an adjustable chair instead).  But generally, I'm not a fan of a center column.

The new tripod is rock solid. Very happy with it  :)

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2014, 05:43:18 PM »
That's a big chunky tripod Dylan!
I have a Gitzo 3 series mountaineer and a Gitzo 3 series Systematic (with additional center column - yet to be used). Center columns are handy but I have to agree with Neuro, if you extend them more than an inch or two stability suffers. They are fine for shorter lenses but at long focal lengths (300mm +) stability is everything!

DominoDude

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »
5D Mark III and Celestron © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

Partly off-topic:
Oh, the Celestron! I've been thinking of something like that for digiscoping birds in a setup with a Manfrotto 393 (the best gimbal setup I can afford currently). Keith, do you have any shots through that Celestron posted, and how's the image quality out of it?
Yesterday I tried to toss an egg on someone against the wind. Today the yolk's on me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2014, 09:56:06 PM »

Partly off-topic:
Oh, the Celestron! I've been thinking of something like that for digiscoping birds in a setup with a Manfrotto 393 (the best gimbal setup I can afford currently). Keith, do you have any shots through that Celestron posted, and how's the image quality out of it?

It's pretty easy to search in Flickr.

Keith's photos tagged with the Celestron.
https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=50428479@N06&q=celestron

Everyone's photos tagged with digiscoping and celestron. 
https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=relevance&text=digiscoping%20celestron

There is also a group Astro Telescopes for Digiscoping
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1511445@N22/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:57:50 PM by dcm »
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2014, 11:07:01 PM »
That's a big chunky tripod Dylan!
I have a Gitzo 3 series mountaineer and a Gitzo 3 series Systematic (with additional center column - yet to be used). Center columns are handy but I have to agree with Neuro, if you extend them more than an inch or two stability suffers. They are fine for shorter lenses but at long focal lengths (300mm +) stability is everything!

You can take out the grizzly bear with this tripod  ;D 

I never own anything like this before. This is my very 1st heavy duty tripod. So far, I really like the feel of wimberley II and this tripod - smooth & solid.

Do you know RRS makes carbon tripod with flip locks? I didn't see any on their site.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:10:55 PM by Dylan777 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2014, 11:07:01 PM »