July 28, 2014, 05:43:09 AM

Author Topic: An Official Canon EOS-1D X AF Article & Cinema EOS FAQ  (Read 3065 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
An Official Canon EOS-1D X AF Article & Cinema EOS FAQ
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »

Learn about the new AF system now

Canon has posted an official article about the AF system on the new Canon EOS-1D X.

The EOS-1D X has arguably the world’s most sophisticated AF system, with an entirely new 61-point array, and a host of configuration options that tailor it for nearly any professional photographer’s needs. There are many new aspects of this terrific new AF system, so we’ll discuss them in separate articles here on Canon’s Digital Learning Center starting with the camera’s AF points and area selection options.

Read the entire article

Cinema EOS FAQ

Canon has also posted a rather extensive Cinema EOS FAQ.

Read the FAQ here

Via [NL]

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

An Official Canon EOS-1D X AF Article & Cinema EOS FAQ
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: An Official Canon EOS-1D X AF Article & Cinema EOS FAQ
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »
I only use the center AF point, so all the complexity is wonderful, but I doubt if I will ever use it.  I did not on my 1D MK II, 1D MK III, 7D nor 5D MK II. 

I'd be happy to have a 5D MK III with the new sensor.

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:13:05 PM »
Would have been nice if they gave us a hint at the Cinema EOS HDSLR (1D-C?) in that article.

Hanging out for details on that more than the 5D3.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

SlothLovesChunk

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:14:55 PM »
Excellent info on the C300. Odd to say this, but the more I learn about the C300, the more I like it. As much as we've all been conditioned to believe that 4k is pro and anything less is for amateurs, I think that's totally overblown, especially when you think about the concomitant burdensome file sizes and render times. This camera puts out a damn beautiful image. The last 3 Star Wars were 1080p...come on, if that's not good enough, who do we think we are?
If the real street price comes down at least 25%, this might be kind of a magical camera. Built in ND's, CF card recording, 190 minute battery life? Red batteries give you 25 minutes! Their SSD's start at $1,000. When you add up the costs required to assemble a full, working Scarlet with Red's over-priced accessories, the Scarlet's basically the same price, if not more, especially if you need a $4k red rocket and extra storage space, etc...it really doesn't seem very special upon closer scrutiny...especially with the ridiculous cropping required to shoot above 12fps. 

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:19:31 PM »
for $15,000+ some of the specs seem a touch lower end than I'd have thought and I wonder if Canon has yet solved their DR issues.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »
Re. 1D X AF Article; I actually found the article about the new metering sensor to be even more interesting:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/1dx_rgb_meter_article.shtml

Cropper

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »

Well it may be considered a state-of-the-art AF system, but truly the inability to AF at f8 (maximum aperture) is very disappointing, and an important downgrade from the previous system.

That fact alone will render very difficult the usage of extenders (particularly 2x) with lenses other that the 300 or 400 f2.8.
I find this rather incomprehensible especially since all the buzz created by Canon in praising how well the new extenders and new big whites worked together.

This fact combined with the lower MP and absence of a 1.3 crop mode will surely make it tough for pros to adjust from the 1D Mark IV.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »