October 31, 2014, 06:52:54 AM

Author Topic: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens  (Read 27689 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2014, 09:37:03 AM »
Seems like us in Norway were lucky, I want even on a pre order list, but it was many available that I could simply but one. Strange BH haven't received them yet..
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2014, 09:37:03 AM »

zlatko

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2014, 01:22:14 AM »
I learned from a discussion on another thread that the canon 50 f/1.2 has really nice bokeh due to that being a primary factor in its design. Apparently some spherical aberration was designed in for that. The canon probably has more consistant af? I would like to see some real world samples comparing the canon and sigma because for me the choice would be between those two lenses and not the otus, even if they all cost the same.

I too would like to see a comparison of those two lenses -- for overall rendering of various subjects.  The Canon 50/1.2L has been my main 50 for a long time and I love the way it draws.  It is simply beautiful.  The new Sigma is interesting and no doubt sharper wide open, but will it draw as beautifully?  I'm not sure I'd want to carry the bigger & heavier Sigma for the extra sharpness alone.

As for autofocus, the 50/1.2L really benefits from the improved AF of Canon's top-end cameras (currently the 1DX or 5DIII).  It is a better autofocusing lens with the 5DIII than it was with the 5DII.  And it is a better autofocusing lens with the 5DIII than with the 6D.

The Otus is will likely prove to be the best 50 for a DSLR.  But due to size, weight, price and manual focus, the Otus will not be a practical alternative for most photographers.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:26:38 AM by zlatko »

razeac

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2014, 05:44:33 AM »
I find it weird that there is only 1 shop in Norway that have the lens in stock. When I preordered they said they will begin shipping next month.. Maybe this afternoon I will receive the lens, if the norwegian postal doesn't screw up with its delivery. They're notoriously known for their long delivery times.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2014, 06:11:59 AM »
I find it weird that there is only 1 shop in Norway that have the lens in stock. When I preordered they said they will begin shipping next month.. Maybe this afternoon I will receive the lens, if the norwegian postal doesn't screw up with its delivery. They're notoriously known for their long delivery times.

Ordered from FotoVideo on Saturday and still haven't received tracking number and confirmation that it has been sent yet, so combine that with the slowness of "Posten" and we're looking at Friday instead of Tuesday.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2014, 10:46:50 AM »

The Otus is will likely prove to be the best 50 for a DSLR. 

Sure, if you can conjure up the rather limited range of circumstances in which a manual lens can be made to work well on a dslr.   In the highly unlikely event I ever acquired one I would used it on a mirrorless camera instead so that I could take advantage of the in-viewfinder focus peaking and magnification that make manual lenses fairly easy to use.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
Sure, if you can conjure up the rather limited range of circumstances in which a manual lens can be made to work well on a dslr.   

+1

Also, you'd better have an appropriate focusing screen installed (not the stock one) if you plan to focus through the VF and shoot at wider apertures. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »

Ordered from FotoVideo on Saturday and still haven't received tracking number and confirmation that it has been sent yet, so combine that with the slowness of "Posten" and we're looking at Friday instead of Tuesday.
Got mine from Japanphoto (Norwegian mail order) today :) No time to try it before the weekend though.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »

razeac

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2014, 12:27:32 PM »
Mine has arrived. I just received an sms and its ready to be picked up. I'm not home yet.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »

Got mine from Japanphoto (Norwegian mail order) today :) No time to try it before the weekend though.

I am on the waiting list at japan photo, but haven't heard from them yet, didn't know they had them yet. I'm very envious Eldar, but luckily it's only a couple days out.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »

Let us know how you like it Eldar ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2014, 01:22:40 PM »

I can assure you that it will be plenty of comparison shots with the Otus. I need to know what the extra $3k is worth  :P

I am also crossing my fingers for the AF system. I don´t want to get the same will-it-focus-properly-worry I have with the 35A.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2014, 01:28:11 PM »

I can assure you that it will be plenty of comparison shots with the Otus. I need to know what the extra $3k is worth  :P

I am also crossing my fingers for the AF system. I don´t want to get the same will-it-focus-properly-worry I have with the 35A.

Just because you experienced the AF issues I had with my 35 I am HIGHLY interesting to see our two 50'arts does with AF. Let's hope Sigma really made it this time with most if the copies.

zlatko

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »

Sure, if you can conjure up the rather limited range of circumstances in which a manual lens can be made to work well on a dslr.   In the highly unlikely event I ever acquired one I would used it on a mirrorless camera instead so that I could take advantage of the in-viewfinder focus peaking and magnification that make manual lenses fairly easy to use.

Manual focus lenses where used for many years on SLRs.  The only thing different about focusing a manual focus lens on a DSLR is the focusing screen.  But Canon offers the old-style focusing screens for certain camera bodies; these show the actual depth of field even at f/1.4.  That's all that's need to make the Otus work well on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »

I would love to see you actually start a new thread with comparison photos and anecdotes.  I will have a copy for review soon, but will probably never have the Otus in hand for comparison purposes!
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »

I would love to see you actually start a new thread with comparison photos and anecdotes.  I will have a copy for review soon, but will probably never have the Otus in hand for comparison purposes!

That's a great idea. "Experience with 50 art & Otus" or something.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »