December 04, 2016, 07:56:51 AM

Author Topic: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens  (Read 74079 times)

Artifex

• Rebel T6i
Re: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2014, 04:45:08 PM »
Manual focus lenses where used for many years on SLRs.  The only thing different about focusing a manual focus lens on a DSLR is the focusing screen.  But Canon offers the old-style focusing screens for certain camera bodies; these show the actual depth of field even at f/1.4.  That's all that's need to make the Otus work well on a DSLR.

The resolution of current digital sensors exceeds that of film, particularly when you consider the 'typical' print sized enlarged from 35mm negatives vs. print sizes easily possible with a ≥18 MP digital file.  That means slight focus errors that were tolerable with film are often unacceptable with digital.

Also, Canon doesn't really offer 'old-style' focus screens, they offer 'not-so-old-style'.  Currently, you can get a screen with without the same degree of laser microetching for brightness - those are the 'super precision matte' screens that show you the true DoF of fast lenses…or you can get screens with manual focus aids (split prism or microprism) but they're based on the stock screens that don't show the true DoF of fast lenses.  When shooting film, there were focus screens that both showed the true DoF of fast lenses and had the split prism/microprism collar focusing aids.

Though you are right, it is still possible to get those old focus screens on DSLR through specialize web site. I use a Canon EC-B focus screen (split-screen focus aid and precision matte) on my 6D and it works quite well. The biggest problem, for me, is that the viewfinder is still much smaller on DSLR than on good old bodies, such as the Pentax K-1000. Manual focus lens are still a joy to use with the proper screen and some practice, although it is not for everybody.
6D, 550D; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Zuiko 28mm f/3.5, Samyang 35mm f/1.4, Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Sears 55mm f/1.4, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5, Kenko Extension Tubes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2014, 04:45:08 PM »

Monchoon

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »
Manual focus lenses where used for many years on SLRs.  The only thing different about focusing a manual focus lens on a DSLR is the focusing screen.  But Canon offers the old-style focusing screens for certain camera bodies; these show the actual depth of field even at f/1.4.  That's all that's need to make the Otus work well on a DSLR.

The resolution of current digital sensors exceeds that of film, particularly when you consider the 'typical' print sized enlarged from 35mm negatives vs. print sizes easily possible with a ≥18 MP digital file.  That means slight focus errors that were tolerable with film are often unacceptable with digital.

Also, Canon doesn't really offer 'old-style' focus screens, they offer 'not-so-old-style'.  Currently, you can get a screen with without the same degree of laser microetching for brightness - those are the 'super precision matte' screens that show you the true DoF of fast lenses…or you can get screens with manual focus aids (split prism or microprism) but they're based on the stock screens that don't show the true DoF of fast lenses.  When shooting film, there were focus screens that both showed the true DoF of fast lenses and had the split prism/microprism collar focusing aids.

Though you are right, it is still possible to get those old focus screens on DSLR through specialize web site. I use a Canon EC-B focus screen (split-screen focus aid and precision matte) on my 6D and it works quite well. The biggest problem, for me, is that the viewfinder is still much smaller on DSLR than on good old bodies, such as the Pentax K-1000. Manual focus lens are still a joy to use with the proper screen and some practice, although it is not for everybody.

Where do you get that focus screen for a 6D ?

Shane1.4

• Canon AE-1
    • Shane Long Photography
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2014, 05:47:57 PM »
Keep the sample shots coming! I love seeing what it can do wide open and seeing the quality of the bokeh.
5D Mark III, 6D, 135L, 85L, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, Sigma 35 1.4 Art, 17-40L
www.shanelongphotography.com

razeac

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
took some shots at home..

this is at f13

this is f8  (looks really good)

and some bokeh night shots (do note, I was on the 2nd floor level terrace - and was standing on a flimsy chair so there might be some obvious misfocus here as I was afraid for my life if I fall LOL - 1.4 is so thin!)

btw, very low light. almost pitch black. used flash on the shots. I'm surprised the 5d mk II focused center together with the lens  :)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:27:57 PM by razeac »

dadgummit

• Rebel T6i
  • Canon FT-QL
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »
Out of focus looks pretty good, no onion either.  I like what I see.  I am really rooting for this one to be good.  I have lost the sigma lottery way too many times to preorder though. 

Artifex

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »

http://www.focusingscreen.com
6D, 550D; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Zuiko 28mm f/3.5, Samyang 35mm f/1.4, Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Sears 55mm f/1.4, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5, Kenko Extension Tubes.

Monchoon

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2014, 11:56:54 PM »

Thanks

http://www.focusingscreen.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2014, 11:56:54 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2014, 02:24:40 AM »
took some shots at home..

this is at f13

this is f8  (looks really good)

and some bokeh night shots (do note, I was on the 2nd floor level terrace - and was standing on a flimsy chair so there might be some obvious misfocus here as I was afraid for my life if I fall LOL - 1.4 is so thin!)

btw, very low light. almost pitch black. used flash on the shots. I'm surprised the 5d mk II focused center together with the lens  :)

Really nice, it looks good ! Now it's daylight, find some cars to track , lol  ;D

My copy is "expected delivery" tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
1dx, Zeiss 21 f2.8, 35 L II, 200 f2.0 L, Profoto B1.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2014, 06:09:04 AM »
just got mine!

First one in Shanghai and probably china :P

awesome and evening is approaching!
APS-H Fanboy

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2014, 06:50:55 AM »
just got mine!

Fire up a sample thread, I'll join in tomorrow. Congrats on your new lens!

1dx, Zeiss 21 f2.8, 35 L II, 200 f2.0 L, Profoto B1.

Salimou

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2014, 06:57:32 AM »
I'm so jealous right now!

Guys, please give us some portraits pictures, alot, alot, alot! Please! I need it in my life!

macrodust

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2014, 08:32:43 AM »
just got mine!

Hey, based in Shanghai? Me too. Where did you get yours and what did you pay? I've seen that they're all over Taobao now, but I usually go to the Xing Guang camera stores at Luban Road.

How's the AF behaving?

Cheers! 
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 7D | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS | EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake | EF 28mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Dylan777

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »
just got mine!

CONGRATS,
It looks like x-mas came early for you guys ;)

Couple things when you guys test this ARTY: AF consistency, focus shift, sharpness, bokeh, color, contrast.... ;D ;D ;D Ok...I'm asking too much :-X

Can't wait to see more photos
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:46:05 AM by Dylan777 »
ML: A7R II & A7s -- FE35f1.4 -- FE35f2.8 -- FE55 -- FE85GM -- FE2470GM -- FE70200GM
DSLR: 1Dx + 200L f2 IS  -- sadly replaced this combo with a7s + 70200GM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2014, 10:35:09 AM »
just got mine!

CONGRATS,
It looks like x-mas came early for you guys ;)

Couple things when you guys test this ARTY: AF consistency, focus shift, sharpness, bokeh, color, contrast.... ;D ;D ;D Ok...I'm asking too much :-X

Can't wait to see more photos

trying to upload photos now but its taking forever!
AF consistancy so far looks ho hum to me I've only had it a few hours but feel its front focusing a bit I also bought the dock and obviously can AFMA it with focal when i have time. Its not so far out that its ruining shots though
consistancy is hard as i've only been shooting in low light so its a bit hit and miss anyway

no focus shift i can see but it breathes a fair bit if that matters to you

sharpness = OMG its insane

bokeh = as above plus even more insane you will see in the pics i post

colour  =  awesome

contrast = a little less contrasty than the 35 but still nice and a tweek in LR away so no issue really.

so watch the lens gallary thread i made as my images go up. I'm uploading now
APS-H Fanboy

Rudeofus

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
no focus shift i can see but it breathes a fair bit if that matters to you

Very interesting. Did you test this under the right circumstances? At or near minimum focus distance, aperture stopped down to F/2.8-F/4?

There have been many theories, that modern Canon DSLRs compensate for 50L focus shift in software. If the 50A doesn't exhibit this shift, and it obviously can't rely on any Canon to support this kind of quirk, then this puts more shame on the 50L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »