October 20, 2014, 07:43:36 PM

Author Topic: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens  (Read 27246 times)

razeac

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »
Hey guys,

When I bought my 17-40mm F4L, I changed it 3 times because of front/back focusing and severe MA on the camera..

This Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art though, it's very precise - I don't need to change it..

I went outside 30 mins earlier and took some shots. I must say, I have the same satisfaction when I bought my 70-200 F2.8 L non IS. This lens is a blast!!!

I tried myself to miss my focus on different apertures. It did none!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:44:45 PM by razeac »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »

aalbert

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Bad Kitty Studios
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »
Awesome to see it on the streets… Anybody stateside heard of B&H shipping yet ? I placed my order on the 18th, so I know I am not at the top of the list, but am hoping to still get it in the first wave…. Any idea how many B&H has coming in?
Camera: 6D w/VG, T2i w/VG
Lenses: 24-105L, 70-200 f4, 100L Macro, 100-400L,  28-135, 40mm Pancake, Tokina 11-16, Sigma Art 50mm 1.4
Flash: 580EX / 550EX, LumoPro 160, with Pocket Wizards, Broncolor Studio Strobes, Alien Bee 800/1600s, Kacey Enterprises Beauty Dish, Westcott Apollo Orb

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »
Hey guys,

When I bought my 17-40mm F4L, I changed it 3 times because of front/back focusing and severe MA on the camera..

This Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art though, it's very precise - I don't need to change it..

I went outside 30 mins earlier and took some shots. I must say, I have the same satisfaction when I bought my 70-200 F2.8 L non IS. This lens is a blast!!!

I tried myself to miss my focus on different apertures. It did none!

Wow! Grattis! That's awesome to hear about the AF :) it's very promising!
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

razeac

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
some sample shots

damn flickr changing everything on its UI... 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »
Manual focus lenses where used for many years on SLRs.  The only thing different about focusing a manual focus lens on a DSLR is the focusing screen.  But Canon offers the old-style focusing screens for certain camera bodies; these show the actual depth of field even at f/1.4.  That's all that's need to make the Otus work well on a DSLR.

The resolution of current digital sensors exceeds that of film, particularly when you consider the 'typical' print sized enlarged from 35mm negatives vs. print sizes easily possible with a ≥18 MP digital file.  That means slight focus errors that were tolerable with film are often unacceptable with digital.

Also, Canon doesn't really offer 'old-style' focus screens, they offer 'not-so-old-style'.  Currently, you can get a screen with without the same degree of laser microetching for brightness - those are the 'super precision matte' screens that show you the true DoF of fast lenses…or you can get screens with manual focus aids (split prism or microprism) but they're based on the stock screens that don't show the true DoF of fast lenses.  When shooting film, there were focus screens that both showed the true DoF of fast lenses and had the split prism/microprism collar focusing aids. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2014, 04:15:40 PM »
some sample shots

Thanks a lot! Keep'em coming!  ;D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2014, 04:27:06 PM »
some sample shots

damn flickr changing everything on its UI...

I don't know about you guys, but those two photos look good to me ;)

Have you try shooting at smaller apertures? Any focus shift?

Thanks
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2014, 04:27:06 PM »

aalbert

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Bad Kitty Studios
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2014, 04:31:47 PM »
Agreed… I like… Can't wait to try it out.
Camera: 6D w/VG, T2i w/VG
Lenses: 24-105L, 70-200 f4, 100L Macro, 100-400L,  28-135, 40mm Pancake, Tokina 11-16, Sigma Art 50mm 1.4
Flash: 580EX / 550EX, LumoPro 160, with Pocket Wizards, Broncolor Studio Strobes, Alien Bee 800/1600s, Kacey Enterprises Beauty Dish, Westcott Apollo Orb

Artifex

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2014, 04:45:08 PM »
Manual focus lenses where used for many years on SLRs.  The only thing different about focusing a manual focus lens on a DSLR is the focusing screen.  But Canon offers the old-style focusing screens for certain camera bodies; these show the actual depth of field even at f/1.4.  That's all that's need to make the Otus work well on a DSLR.

The resolution of current digital sensors exceeds that of film, particularly when you consider the 'typical' print sized enlarged from 35mm negatives vs. print sizes easily possible with a ≥18 MP digital file.  That means slight focus errors that were tolerable with film are often unacceptable with digital.

Also, Canon doesn't really offer 'old-style' focus screens, they offer 'not-so-old-style'.  Currently, you can get a screen with without the same degree of laser microetching for brightness - those are the 'super precision matte' screens that show you the true DoF of fast lenses…or you can get screens with manual focus aids (split prism or microprism) but they're based on the stock screens that don't show the true DoF of fast lenses.  When shooting film, there were focus screens that both showed the true DoF of fast lenses and had the split prism/microprism collar focusing aids.

Though you are right, it is still possible to get those old focus screens on DSLR through specialize web site. I use a Canon EC-B focus screen (split-screen focus aid and precision matte) on my 6D and it works quite well. The biggest problem, for me, is that the viewfinder is still much smaller on DSLR than on good old bodies, such as the Pentax K-1000. Manual focus lens are still a joy to use with the proper screen and some practice, although it is not for everybody.
6D, 550D; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Zuiko 28mm f/3.5, Samyang 35mm f/1.4, Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Sears 55mm f/1.4, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5, Kenko Extension Tubes.

Monchoon

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »

Though you are right, it is still possible to get those old focus screens on DSLR through specialize web site. I use a Canon EC-B focus screen (split-screen focus aid and precision matte) on my 6D and it works quite well. The biggest problem, for me, is that the viewfinder is still much smaller on DSLR than on good old bodies, such as the Pentax K-1000. Manual focus lens are still a joy to use with the proper screen and some practice, although it is not for everybody.

Where do you get that focus screen for a 6D ?

Shane1.4

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Shane Long Photography
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2014, 05:47:57 PM »
Keep the sample shots coming! I love seeing what it can do wide open and seeing the quality of the bokeh.
5D Mark III, 6D, 135L, 85 1.8, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, Sigma 35 1.4 Art, 17-40L
www.shanelongphotography.com

razeac

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
took some shots at home..

this is at f13

this is f8  (looks really good)

and some bokeh night shots (do note, I was on the 2nd floor level terrace - and was standing on a flimsy chair so there might be some obvious misfocus here as I was afraid for my life if I fall LOL - 1.4 is so thin!)

btw, very low light. almost pitch black. used flash on the shots. I'm surprised the 5d mk II focused center together with the lens  :)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:27:57 PM by razeac »

dadgummit

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon FT-QL
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »
Out of focus looks pretty good, no onion either.  I like what I see.  I am really rooting for this one to be good.  I have lost the sigma lottery way too many times to preorder though. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »

Artifex

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »

http://www.focusingscreen.com
6D, 550D; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Zuiko 28mm f/3.5, Samyang 35mm f/1.4, Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Sears 55mm f/1.4, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5, Kenko Extension Tubes.

Monchoon

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2014, 11:56:54 PM »

Thanks

http://www.focusingscreen.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2014, 11:56:54 PM »