October 01, 2014, 02:03:09 AM

Author Topic: Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Coming in October  (Read 15023 times)

jcleare

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Coming in October
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »
Can't wait for a 24-70 2.8 art !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2014, 12:07:40 AM »
I think you guys are missing the big "A" on the side of these lenses... for ART! Perhaps the focus issues are for artistic effect!

Brilliant! Many believe that some Canon lenses are soft for artistic effect. I am so confused these days that I am adding Coke to my scotch. Milk into green tea.

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2014, 01:04:32 AM »
Me?  I'm just thinking I'd love to dig in on the at sample shoot and do some root cause analysis.  I guess that's the engineer and test geek in me, though.
Sounds like you'd do a good job testing the AF thoroughly if you got the chance. Please share your findings if you do.

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2014, 01:21:17 AM »
Now, for this lens o be useful even without being AF perfect it will have to be a superset of Samyang 24 1.4

1. NO Coma
2. No decentering issues.
3. Very good center wide open with good  corners.
Judging from the image quality tool at TDP, the Samyang 35/1.4 seems optically quite the match to the Sigma 35/1.4A, with both better than the EF 35/1.4L. The Samyang 24/1.4 though looks quite a bit worse than the EF 24/1.4L II wide open (though COMA is hard to infer since not explicitly tested). This hopefully means that there is room for improvement for a future Sigma 24/1.4A over the corresponding Samyang. (and yes, the EF 24/1.4L II unfortunately has terrible coma as I know from first-hand experience)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2014, 02:15:09 AM »
Can't wait for a 24-70 2.8 art !
Nope... but the rumored Sigma 24-70 f/2 is very intriguing. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2014, 02:16:43 AM »
I'll just wait until my copy arrives, and test myself. But I'll try it in store and if my results matches those Bryan had, I'm not buying it... Plain and simple. There are endless discussions over the Sigma AF, and when people refuses to realize there is an issue it's no point. If there are great or horrible results, I'll be sure to post my findings and dilbert won't believe them.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2014, 02:22:03 AM »
I'll just wait until my copy arrives, and test myself. But I'll try it in store and if my results matches those Bryan had, I'm not buying it... Plain and simple. There are endless discussions over the Sigma AF, and when people refuses to realize there is an issue it's no point. If there are great or horrible results, I'll be sure to post my findings and dilbert won't believe them.

I forget where I heard it (other than everywhere)... but once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a trend.  It all boils down to sample size.  Maybe Bryan did everything perfectly a just got a bad copy.  Maybe the UPS guy played soccer with the box before it got to his front door.  But if you and 14 others come to the same conclusion... then what we have here is a cheaper otus with AF usable only at f/4 or f/5.6... which REALLY makes the lens less desirable. 

And there is nothing wrong with questioning scientific fact (which this test would not be considered). 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2014, 02:22:03 AM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2014, 02:35:50 AM »

Just tell me in advance, how do you propose to do determine the correct AFMA setting for the lens whilst you're in the store?

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2014, 02:43:30 AM »

I forget where I heard it (other than everywhere)... but once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a trend.  It all boils down to sample size.  Maybe Bryan did everything perfectly a just got a bad copy.  Maybe the UPS guy played soccer with the box before it got to his front door.  But if you and 14 others come to the same conclusion... then what we have here is a cheaper otus with AF usable only at f/4 or f/5.6... which REALLY makes the lens less desirable. 

And there is nothing wrong with questioning scientific fact (which this test would not be considered).

Just to make it clear, I don't just guess on this, I simply added Bryan's test as a highly regarded datapoint in the long curve that is others experience with the 35 Art, including mine, and now the tests and reviews and previews I've seen regarding the 50 art, and it shows the same thing. Then there's the theory behind with Canon clearly not sharing anything with Sigma and it seems like it's not possible to make it work in the same way Canon lenses works with AF.  That's the point.

I want Sigma to have a winner here, and I wanted to own the 35 art and have the cheaper lens with better IQ, in the same way I think with the 50 art now. But the 35 I had followed every prediction that it couldn't work. And I suspect the same for the 50, but given how much I want a great 50 with AF , I'm giving the new one a chance.

If the deal seems to good to be true, it probably is...

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2014, 03:53:29 AM »

Just tell me in advance, how do you propose to do determine the correct AFMA setting for the lens whilst you're in the store?
Want me to write you a tutorial?

It's not very hard, I have the Spyder lens cal and a tripod, but I don't need the perfect value to determine if the lens gives me the same result for every shot, didn't you read Neuro's word in the same exact issue?

I used to work for the same shop I'm buying it in also, so I'm sure they have no problem with me taking it home and run through FoCal and test for a day. The 35 art showed it's flaws from the start, so I don't need a high end lab to see If it works.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2014, 04:14:49 AM »
Hi JD.
I bet that's it, some fool in dispatch put a FRAGILE label on the box, couriers seem to put all the fragile items in a special location just handy for the office vs drivers kick about!  :o  ::)

All this about AFMA, this is a global adjustment for the lens, so if you move the AFMA point 2 units to the front, you move ALL the future focus hits 2 points to the front, not just the misses. I guess it is possible that AFMA could improve the ability of the camera to resolve the focus points and reduce the miss rate, but it is most unlikely.
The most important thing here is the lens sample pool of 1, impossible to have a representative test on 1 item, hand picked or otherwise.
With respect to the idea of a hand picked lens, from reading Roger Cicala's blog at Lens Rentals I doubt most lens manufacturers could pick a best of the best given that they can't fix the lenses he sends back as poor quality!

Cheers Graham.

Maybe the UPS guy played soccer with the box before it got to his front door.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2014, 04:36:53 AM »
I think you guys are missing the big "A" on the side of these lenses... for ART! Perhaps the focus issues are for artistic effect!

Brilliant! Many believe that some Canon lenses are soft for artistic effect. I am so confused these days that I am adding Coke to my scotch. Milk into green tea.

Yes, well, your right, that's a situation that requires some redress, the Coke in the scotch I have no idea on, but I imagine it's similar to adding water to an excellent Red Wine, basically you need retraining, and lots of it would be my recommendation.

But the Milk in the Green Tea ?? Perhaps your too far gone Sanj, you may as well wallow happily in your confusion, especially when it comes to making sense out of some of these Posts, including I might add, this one.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2014, 04:43:44 AM »
Now, for this lens o be useful even without being AF perfect it will have to be a superset of Samyang 24 1.4

1. NO Coma
2. No decentering issues.
3. Very good center wide open with good  corners.
Judging from the image quality tool at TDP, the Samyang 35/1.4 seems optically quite the match to the Sigma 35/1.4A, with both better than the EF 35/1.4L. The Samyang 24/1.4 though looks quite a bit worse than the EF 24/1.4L II wide open (though COMA is hard to infer since not explicitly tested). This hopefully means that there is room for improvement for a future Sigma 24/1.4A over the corresponding Samyang. (and yes, the EF 24/1.4L II unfortunately has terrible coma as I know from first-hand experience)
Coma is tested for the mentioned 24mm lenses. Some useful links:

http://www.extremeinstability.com/lens24mm.html

http://www.lenstip.com/245.7-Lens_review-Canon_EF_24_mm_f_1.4L_II_USM_Coma_and_astigmatism.html

http://www.lenstip.com/330.7-Lens_review-Samyang_24_mm_f_1.4_ED_AS_UMC_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:46:37 AM by tron »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2014, 04:43:44 AM »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2014, 05:06:04 AM »

Just to make it clear, I don't just guess on this, I simply added Bryan's test as a highly regarded datapoint in the long curve that is others experience with the 35 Art, including mine, and now the tests and reviews and previews I've seen regarding the 50 art, and it shows the same thing. Then there's the theory behind with Canon clearly not sharing anything with Sigma and it seems like it's not possible to make it work in the same way Canon lenses works with AF.  That's the point.

I want Sigma to have a winner here, and I wanted to own the 35 art and have the cheaper lens with better IQ, in the same way I think with the 50 art now. But the 35 I had followed every prediction that it couldn't work. And I suspect the same for the 50, but given how much I want a great 50 with AF , I'm giving the new one a chance.

Go for it Viggo and I hope your new 50' works out for you. I really wanted the 120-300 f2.8 OS to work out for me...and I was so bitterly disappointing by it. It was the last in a long line of failures from Sigma for me and at that point I said to myself "enough is enough and I have had it with this particular brand". I personally feel that Sigma need to employ less spin/promises and actually deliver what they promise. 

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2014, 05:15:12 AM »

Go for it Viggo and I hope your new 50' works out for you. I really wanted the 120-300 f2.8 OS to work out for me...and I was so bitterly disappointing by it. It was the last in a long line of failures from Sigma for me and at that point I said to myself "enough is enough and I have had it with this particular brand". I personally feel that Sigma need to employ less spin/promises and actually deliver what they promise.

Spot on. The 50 Art is the last straw.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2014, 05:15:12 AM »