December 21, 2014, 10:34:49 PM

Author Topic: 1D X Troubles (not funny)  (Read 8901 times)

Kirek

• SX60 HS
  • Astrophotographer, wildlife, timelapse
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X Troubles (not funny)
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »
Dear mackguyer

I think I understand your problems. You purchased a 1 X model..
We all understand that X is a common abbreviation for experimental, I think some of your issues are because of this. You also got version 1 of the dslr.

I would be happy to swap your version 1, for a version 60. It is a much more advanced DSLR ( 60 is newer than 1h , and will not have many if the issues you have found, like the lack of popup flash, the memory card filling up so quickly and the lack of a mode button.

Please feel free to contact me vi IM.

Thanks
A Camera Collector

:-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 03:46:54 PM »
It may seem obvious, but there is a camera that is "perfect" for all uses. Frankly, the noise caused by the mirror and shutter 1Dx is scary and bothers very quiet environments. :-[ But if you want, I can change a Rebel by their 1Dx. :P

chris_w_digits

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »
I find number 10 funny since it happened to me and the first time I accidentally moved that button, I could not figure out how to undo it.   I'd been using a T2i for many months, so when I got the 5D3, I was able to immediately use it due to familiarity with the Canon control layout.   The T2i video stuff is different, though, and that level or button I accidentally moved wasn't on the T2i, and I hadn't yet learned all the differences in the cameras.   I did it about an hour before I was going to be shooting and had to scramble to learn what the heck I'd done and it took me a bit even after reading since I didn't know that button moved that way.  :-)   

Boyer U. Klum-Cey

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 04:21:42 PM »
Well played, laddie!
All theories are wrong, but some are useful, eh?

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
I find number 10 funny since it happened to me and the first time I accidentally moved that button, I could not figure out how to undo it.   I'd been using a T2i for many months, so when I got the 5D3, I was able to immediately use it due to familiarity with the Canon control layout.   The T2i video stuff is different, though, and that level or button I accidentally moved wasn't on the T2i, and I hadn't yet learned all the differences in the cameras.   I did it about an hour before I was going to be shooting and had to scramble to learn what the heck I'd done and it took me a bit even after reading since I didn't know that button moved that way.  :-)

I think Mackguyver was talking about the lever to block off the viewfinder- which is exclusive to 1-series bodies.

OTOH, you are probably talking about the still/video toggle. I have had a bit of an issue with the Liveview/video button myself because occasionally I'd press on that instead of AF-on (for BBF)- and bam!- there'd be darkness!
EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 05:26:26 PM »
My 5D III uses 1 Cf and 1 SD card so how do I put my SD card in the 1Dx?  ;)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • also on superhero vacation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 05:44:42 PM »
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 05:44:42 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 06:21:41 PM »
With this!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816112-REG/Digieffects_SDXCF_Extreme_SD_HC_XC_to_CF.html

Typical forum nonsense.  Someone asks a question, and the first response recommends throwing money at the problem.  The easy (and free!) solution is to simply drop the SD card into the CF slot.  Don't worry about the slight rattling sound.  Fortunately, you're going in the right direction. To get a CF card into an SD slot, you have to trim it down, so your 32 GB cards become ~10 GB.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

johnf3f

• Canon 6D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 06:39:30 PM »
Liking this very (not) serious discussion. Seriously the 1DX, when set to manual with auto ISO, is the ultimate point and shoot going!

If you find the SD card rattles a bit then there are dampers here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/cf-card-adapter

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 06:50:57 PM »
With this!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816112-REG/Digieffects_SDXCF_Extreme_SD_HC_XC_to_CF.html

Typical forum nonsense.  Someone asks a question, and the first response recommends throwing money at the problem.  The easy (and free!) solution is to simply drop the SD card into the CF slot.  Don't worry about the slight rattling sound.  Fortunately, you're going in the right direction. To get a CF card into an SD slot, you have to trim it down, so your 32 GB cards become ~10 GB.

Thank you neuro,  my new 10Gb SD card (formally 32Gb CF) works like a charm :)
1Dx | 5D III

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 06:59:38 PM »
"2. I'm scaring people and filling up my memory card because each time I push the shutter it goes really fast"

I spray painted mine pink with polka dots so it's not scaring anyone anymore - Easy!

Also, I solved my memory card filling up problem by switching to smallest Jpeg format for both cards - none of that RAW bs for me thank You!
1Dx | 5D III

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 07:35:19 PM »
You missed the biggest problem - the camera didn't come with a lens.

Made my early morning coffee, Thank You

And Mackguyver, you missed another doozy that will only come to you after carrying the 1Dx around (with a Lens attached) for a few days, one arm will begin to look like an English Long bowman's lopsided arrangement, you will then, as I have done, solve the issue not by going to the Gym, not by changing carrying hands, but by convincing your wife/girlfriend/other important money manager, to allow you to buy a second 1Dx Body so you can carry two at anytime thus ensuring your Physical stature returns to "normal", unfortunately it doesn't help with your "mental" situation, but it does solve any issues regards CF cards filling up too rapidly, now you have 4.

Really is nice to see most CR people have a healthy sense of humour, well, with the exception of "soulless Polack"   ::)  Probably caught him before his first coffee.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:45:00 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
You missed the biggest problem - the camera didn't come with a lens.
Made my early morning coffee, Thank You
And Mackguyver, you missed another doozy that will only come to you after carrying the 1Dx around (with a Lens attached) for a few days, one arm will begin to look like an English Long bowman's lopsided arrangement, you will then, as I have done, solve the issue not by going to the Gym, not by changing carrying hands, but by convincing your wife/girlfriend/other important money manager, to allow you to buy a second 1Dx Body so you can carry two at anytime thus ensuring your Physical stature returns to "normal", unfortunately it doesn't help with your "mental" situation, but it does solve any issues regards CF cards filling up too rapidly, now you have 4.
Thanks for the great idea EML. ??? I walk with the body bent when I load a video camera (8 kg) on the right shoulder. ::) Just what I carry two cameras (one on each shoulder) and my problem is solved. :P
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:58:34 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »

Joe M

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mayer Photography
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 11:32:13 PM »
Thanks for the chuckle. 

expatinasia