October 25, 2014, 02:46:01 PM

Author Topic: Canon Profits Grow in 2014 on Equipment Sales & Reshuffling of Camera Business  (Read 3248 times)

Efka76

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Canon camera sales are mainly dropping due to these main reasons:

1) Smartphones are killing P&S market. What is Canon's response: do the same thing as every year, i.e. issue  new model P&S cameras. I would think that Canon should abandon this dying P&S market and concentrate on more advanced cameras.

2) There are practically no news in advanced DSLR area and market became saturated. Canon is still milking DSLR market by manufacturing the same products and customers do not have any options even if they want to upgrade their current camera into new one. e.g. I have Canon 7D and waiting for 7D II for long time. It's a real shame to milk the same dying cow for so many years. Canon has all required money for R&D but we see only limited inventions from its side. One invention (dual pixel technology) is really not ground braking.

3) Canon is losing and will loose significant market to the third party lens manufacturers such as Sigma and Canon. We see significantly improved quality in both these firms and quite significant increase in their lens sales. Of course, Canon is still a king in fixed focal length lenses (tele), but their price is enormous and not affordable to many consumers. From other side, its is really a shame for Canon not to upgrade the most popular lenses  (e.g. 50 mm., which is produced for more than 20 years). Come on, Canon, you can really do better. If the same trend continues Canon will lose very significant lenses market to competitors.

4) Lack of innovations: when I look around I here when people talk about Tamron and Sigma lenses, Sony, Fuji, Olympus mirrorless cameras, Pentax medium format cameras, etc. Canon is currently leading company with biggest profits and very significant loyal customer base (loyalty is due to expensive lenses, which were bought some time ago). If you do not introduce new and expensive technology and still produce large quantities of goods, your R&D costs are recovered long time ago. Canon is really able to reduce prices for APS-C and full frame cameras but they are still milking the same old cow :)

Also, I see other trends that many newspapers and mass media are laying off photographers o even suggesting to journalists to make pictures with iPhones. I see the trend that in the nearest future only serious hobbyists will buy DSLR cameras, however, number of such people is constantly decreasing.
Gripped EOS 7D | EF 50 1.4 USM | EF 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | EF 100 2.8L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 | EF-S 18-135 mm | 580 EXII | ThinkTank Retrospective 30

canon rumors FORUM

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
I agree with the general vibe here...  Canon hasn't given a reason to buy their cameras. The only camera REALLY worth buying was the 1DX. The 5DMKIII was a marginal upgrade. Many people said if you owned a 5DMKII, you may not need the upgrade. Only Wedding photographers would really want upgrade their 5D's...  The new Rebel and SL1 are cool. But that's it in the DSLR.

With the new Nikon D800S on the horizon and some of the Sony mirrorless cameras, Canon really needs to get their act together. Fuji mirrorless is quite amazing as well. All the news and cool and new news is coming from these guys.

That Nikon D800S has me salivating....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:48:27 PM by RGomezPhotos »
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

jeffa4444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Actually Mirrorless cameras have increased market share in Europe in 2014 (after slightly falling in 2013) cameras like the Olympus OM-D E-M1 & OM-D E-M10 are selling well and they have more new lenses, Fuji X-Series cameras are selling well but the same is not true of the Canon EOS-M with its limited lens inventory (unless you use an additional adaptor which is expensive).

The US has not really taken to Mirrorless like the Far East & Europe as someone who has both Olympus Pen and Canon DSLRs I can see the merits in both.
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
In light of this report, makes you wonder why Canon is taking measures to enforce its MAP instead of creating incentives to consumers by offering more rebate and discount sales events.

How is holding the line on prices   ??? via MAP enforcement, gonna improve the sales numbers ... what am I missing     ??? ??? ???
5DMKII, Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, 24 1.4L, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

Canon 14-24

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I will forgive Canon for its lack of "worthy" dslr/lens and "innovation" releases these past 2-3 years (and their lack of a 14-24), if they surprise with an entry into the medium format segment within a similar price range of Pentax's 645z with a better 80mm and ultra wide angle lens than Pentax's equivalent.

emko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I wish i could see what Canon has in R&D ,i really think they have something very advanced but they want to milk small updates on each camera release at one point they will run out of what to update and finally give us a intervalometer in camera :)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
A 7D2 would give a shot in the arm. Possibly

canon rumors FORUM

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Well if Canon bring a full frame mirrorless camera in 2014, and it does not have major innovation, I will be disappointed.  I don't think we need an "EOS M full frame".  I would prefer to see a new studio 1 series (or 3 series!) with a high performing new sensor.  Would it sell well?  I don't know.  It might be just what studio and fashion shooters have been asking for, especially those that gave up on Canon and started using the D800.  Wedding pros might want it, but they're pretty happy with the 5D3.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
I agree with the general vibe here...  Canon hasn't given a reason to buy their cameras. The only camera REALLY worth buying was the 1DX. The 5DMKIII was a marginal upgrade. Many people said if you owned a 5DMKII, you may not need the upgrade. Only Wedding photographers would really want upgrade their 5D's...  The new Rebel and SL1 are cool. But that's it in the DSLR.

With the new Nikon D800S on the horizon and some of the Sony mirrorless cameras, Canon really needs to get their act together. Fuji mirrorless is quite amazing as well. All the news and cool and new news is coming from these guys.

I get your general point - which is in part why I own an Olympus OM-D and Sony A7r in addition to Canon stuff - but  your opening sentence surely only applies to the sort of picky consumer who reads sites like this.  Canon makes the cheapest DSLRs out there, and they're significantly cheaper than the best mirrorless cameras (a Rebel kit is cheaper than just about any decent mirrorless body with no lens attached); the same is true for Nikon's entry level dslrs.  Presumably that's why they're ubiquitous (in the time since I've bought my OM-D a year ago I think I've seen someone carrying one twice; I saw someone using a Fuji Xsomething for the first time last week).  Such reasons may not matter much to those who read canon/nikonrumors, but it still seems to be a pretty powerful reason and allows Canon and Nikon to carry on being boring.  I've no idea how long they'll be able to continue doing so, but so far the announcements we keep reading online that the dslr is all but dead seem either a tad premature or to confuse what ought to be with what is.

It could well be that stand-alone cameras will end up being niche products as smartphone cameras continue to improve (just as it's become hard to find a CD player that does nothing more than play CDs).  It doesn't seem unlikely that the overwhelming use to which photos are put is illustrating posts on facebook etc; and cellphone photos are good enough for that and, perhaps even more important, they're small and always with you.   I know more than a few people who have asked my advice on what camera to buy for whom the single most important characteristic of a camera is that it be tiny; the fact that it will almost certainly take worse photos doesn't matter - and for them it probably doesn't matter because they'll never view them in a context where the differences are obvious.   

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile

well I am very happy to have got a 5D3, it's a great second body to my 1Dx. So I'm happy and I guess canon are happy to have sold then.

If your so worked up about how fantastic the Nikon is you should get one. Hopefully that will make you happy, and Nikon need all the sales they can get.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

canon rumors FORUM