December 19, 2014, 08:37:46 PM

Author Topic: Canon Profits Grow in 2014 on Equipment Sales & Reshuffling of Camera Business  (Read 3543 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors

TOKYO, April 24 (Reuters) - Canon Inc inched up its 2014 operating profit target on Thursday due to strong sales of office copiers and printers in the first quarter, and said a reshuffle of its camera line-up had also helped boost margins.

Canon said office equipment sales rose by 9.7 percent in the first quarter, helping lift operating profits by 51 percent to a higher-than-expected 82.6 billion yen ($806.76 million).

Camera sales, however, fell by 22 percent year-on-year in the quarter, as the world’s biggest camera maker struggled with the prevalence of high-quality smartphone cameras and a saturation in the high-end, single-lens-reflex camera market.

Chief Financial Officer Toshizo Tanaka told an earnings briefing that sales of pricier compact cameras had actually increased after Canon adjusted its camera production and line-up in the first quarter to meet customers’ demand for more sophisticated products.

But he said a recovery would take time.

“Determining whether we can achieve the growth we are hoping for will take some time,” Tanaka said. “Things are getting better in China and Europe, but it will take a while to see whether that will continue.”

Read full article

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
<p>Camera sales, however, fell by 22 percent year-on-year in the quarter, as the world’s biggest camera maker struggled with the prevalence of high-quality smartphone cameras and a saturation in the high-end, single-lens-reflex camera market.</p>

Is that also the conclusion of Canon or just Reuters?

Lightmaster

Chief Financial Officer Toshizo Tanaka told an earnings briefing that sales of pricier compact cameras had actually increased after Canon adjusted its camera production and line-up in the first quarter to meet customers’ demand for more sophisticated products

what does that mean?

to me it looks like canon has done nothing different then the past years.
new powershots, same old minimal rebel updates, a 60D update called 70D.

what has canon adjusted? ???

are the P&S really are more sophisticated or has canon released the 7D MK2 and nobody told me?  :o

is he talking about the EOS M?

or is reuters mixing things up here and they talked to a fuji manager?

im puzzled.....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:56:48 AM by Lightmaster »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Chief Financial Officer Toshizo Tanaka told an earnings briefing that sales of pricier compact cameras had actually increased after Canon adjusted its camera production and line-up in the first quarter to meet customers’ demand for more sophisticated products

what does that mean?

to me it looks like canon has done nothing different then the past years.
new powershots, same old minimal rebel updates, a 60D update called 70D.

what has canon adjusted? ???

are the P&S really are more sophisticated or has canon released the 7D MK2 and nobody told me?  :o

or is he talking about the EOS M?

im puzzled.....

It means compact FF mirrorless with fast AF + decent pancake lenses... ;D
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Lightmaster

Quote from: Dylan777 link=topic=20652.msg390479#msg390479

S___.. must be asia only.
they get all the good stuff like the new EOS M2.....

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dylan777 link=topic=20652.msg390479#msg390479

S___.. must be asia only.
they get all the good stuff like the new EOS M2.....

Current M2 shouldn't be considered as "good stuff" - that just me ;)
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
Misery loves company I suppose...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/07/nikon-earnings-idUSL3N0IR39F20131107?type=companyNews

(Granted they have not published Q4 financials.)
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 14-24

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Camera sales, however, fell by 22 percent year-on-year in the quarter, as the world’s biggest camera maker struggled with the prevalence of high-quality smartphone cameras and a saturation in the high-end, single-lens-reflex camera market.</p>

More like it struggled because yet with the "prevalence of high-quality smartphone cameras and saturation of the dSLR" they still for the past 2-3 years continue to focus the "majority" of their releases on more powershot, rebel, and kit lens garbage.

Doesn't make sense does it? They mention smartphone entry and saturation of dslrs yet continue to fuel product releases and resources for these markets - ignoring the upper tier segment with the exception of a 24-70 2.8 II and 200-400 1.4x and we wonder why Canon is struggling. So much for the "dual pixel innovative technology" on the 70d to save the Camera division sales...not driving it so much eh?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:01:10 PM by Canon 14-24 »

drs

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Smart-phones as excuse? I have only a very subjective perspective on that.

If people get a camera in their phone -- and go to FB or G+ to find out how much they use it: One would think they got hooked up with photography (not everyone of course.) But if Canon can't obviously see that this is the entry-drug and pick people up from there, they might have shift their attention a little bit. Why buy a camera that has less options?

Besides that, they make great lenses -- but it feels just very expensive to me -- compared to other companies.

End of subjective mode. ;o)

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Just as a data point, take Flickr,  Look at the top cameras referenced number of members.

https://www.flickr.com/cameras
1.  iphone 5
2.  iphone 5s
3.  iphone 4s
4.  iphone 4
5.  Canon T3i

The impact of camera phones on photography can't be ignored. People need a reason to buy a Canikontax camera instead of just using their iphone.  I would imagine for the vast majority of people who take photographs, the camera phone is "good enough".   That has to have an effect on camera manufacturers.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:54:00 AM by AcutancePhotography »
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

blanddragon

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Just as a data point, take Flickr,  Look at the top cameras referenced number of members.

1.  iphone 5
2.  iphone 5s
3.  iphone 4s
4.  iphone 4
4.  Canon T3i

The impact of camera phones on photography can't be ignored. People need a reason to buy a Canikontax camera instead of just using their iphone.  I would imagine for the vast majority of people who take photographs, the camera phone is "good enough".   That has to have an effect on camera manufacturers.

Hardly statistically significant since my Mk III doesn't have a Flicker shortcut on it I post less.
Pinhole camera

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Canon is doomed.

cep500

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Canon's DSLR market would get a boost from me if they would just produce an offering that's a logical successor for my 40D. The 70D isn't it. Still waiting, waiting, waiting for a 7DMkII ....

canon rumors FORUM

Lightmaster

1.  iphone 5
2.  iphone 5s
3.  iphone 4s
4.  iphone 4
4.  Canon T3i

Hardly statistically significant since my Mk III doesn't have a Flicker shortcut on it I post less.

aha.... so you are more relevant than the statistics?

it shows that mobile phones are way more used for social media photo sharing then any other cameras.

and what do most people today do with their photos?
exactly.... they post them on facebook, flickr and co.

most teenager don´t want an extra camera. it´s just more to carry.
so yes, the statistics shows the trend.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:10:01 PM by Lightmaster »

jeffa4444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
The slowing down of sales are a sign of saturation at the top end where DSLRs are concerned the iPhone et al replaced the point & shoot cameras.

The camera makers all of them have got sloppy merely increasing MP is not really cutting it (yes I know some have Wi-Fi or GPS etc).

The sensor tech needs a big jump forwards to really give seperation and physical design needs new ideas after all modern manufacturing can more or less create any shape. As in cars niche models designed to suit wedding photographers, landscape photographers, press photographers etc. so compromises are noty made under one size fits all (DSLRs have hardly changed the basic shape since the first came out).
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

canon rumors FORUM