August 30, 2014, 12:28:37 AM

Author Topic: Incredible Godox Witstro 360 flash (does HSS too!)  (Read 3692 times)

msatter

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Incredible Godox Witstro 360 flash (does HSS too!)
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 11:45:50 AM »
I was happy that got AA batteries during a model shoot yesterday because the battery of the Wistro was empty after 200 flashes. Luckily I had taken with me speedlights.

Hope to receive a new battery today and hope that one will do more than 90 full power flashes as this battery did before.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 11:45:50 AM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »
I was happy that got AA batteries during a model shoot yesterday because the battery of the Wistro was empty after 200 flashes. Luckily I had taken with me speedlights.

Hope to receive a new battery today and hope that one will do more than 90 full power flashes as this battery did before.

I don't follow, is there an option to use AA's with this unit in a pinch if need be?

blanddragon

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 01:36:51 PM »
I own the Cheetahstand version of this CL-360
https://www.cheetahstand.com/A-New-Bare-Bulb-Flash-Arrives-p/cl-360combo.htm
It included the CellsII trigger. I'll have to try out my Odin triggers on it, but from the first few uses I really like this light.
The bulb protector from them is $13 US. The unit does require a battery pack but I've found that at 1/4 power I get 200+ pops. Very happy with it!

Does the included trigger set control the remote power setting? How about TTL?

Yes it controls the power settings but does not do ETTL.
Pinhole camera

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »
Yes it controls the power settings but does not do ETTL.

I guess the HSS in the title threw me off. That means you can do what is sometimes called super-sync, right? Using a studio strobe to shoot beyond your sync speed?

msatter

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »

I don't follow, is there an option to use AA's with this unit in a pinch if need be?

Your correct but those AA batteries were for my Canon speed lights that took over from the Witstro 360 his battery had developed a problem and did not work any more.

A few hours ago I received the spare battery and charging and testing it all worked as expected and I can now keep the AA batteries in my bag together with speed lights.

You can get a cable that connects the Witstro 960 batterypack to a different brands of on camera flashes making them recharge even faster.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 07:37:31 PM »
  They are not auto strobes, so you have to know what you are doing..(a good flash meter can be very valuable) but I am definitely a fan.
By auto strobe do you mean ETTL? Are they pure manual like most studio strobes?

That's right, these are fully manual flash heads, just like an Einstein, or most monobloc heads. It's not a big deal. The output controller is robust, large, illuminated and quick to use.

In event situations I often switch my 580EXII's to Manual just to be sure of constant output. ETTL is frequently easily confused by background density or black or white subjects, backgrounds or shiney elements in the shot such as a mirror, glass, polished steel etc. Just set to Manual, shoot a quick test, and then your quickest adjustments will be via aperture or iso. Altering the output on any speedlight is obviously fine too, but usually a second or so slower than an aperture or iso shift for those moments when the pressure is on.

ETTL would be nice on the Witstro, but the price would be much higher. With the speed Godox is developing their products, we may well see an ETTL Witstro some time in the future. If you absolutely have to have ETTL, then these lights are not for you.

-pw
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:58:34 PM by pwp »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 02:04:41 AM »
Any tips on where to get gel sets for this thing standard cto etc?
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 02:04:41 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 07:44:44 AM »
Any tips on where to get gel sets for this thing standard cto etc?
Probably not exactly what you want, but could be a useful start point:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Godox-AD-S11Color-Gel-Pack-Reflector-for-WITSTRO-flash-AD180-AD360-F482-/160958458788?pt=AU_Flashes&hash=item2579df2ba4
I generally buy sheets of CC gels and cut them out to the required sizes, if if I'm feeling lazy, I just clip an oversized sheet onto the dish. Same-same but different...

BTW, how's Witstro World? Bright?

-pw

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 07:44:44 AM »