October 21, 2014, 12:04:25 AM

Author Topic: Final shopping list for tomorrow..  (Read 14167 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Final shopping list for tomorrow..
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »
The 17-40 and 16-35 decision came from here, it helped because the 17-40 is also cheaper.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/canon-17-40.shtml
Ive just realised that was with the OLD 16-35!! wow thanks neuro, ill have to rethink that, the 16-35 is more expensive, im on a budget..
I would rather have the 16-35 range, and as best an IQ possible.

I thought that might be the case.  Axilrod is right, the Mk II is much, much better than the MkI. 

External flash, i hardly ever use a flash and certainly on any good keepers i dont think i ever have (see store link below). The popup on the 450d was wasted on me really. I have three studio lights for studio work. I can get a flash later. See im not all crazy

Makes sense, as long as you have monolights or constant lights, you're good for studio.  I don't use a flash too much on my 5DII (thanks to the low ISO noise).  But, there's a world of difference between the popup flash (which delivers harsh, unflattering light) and an external Speedlite especially when bounced off a ceiling.  Only other thing to keep in mind is that a flash can be useful for fill light outdoors; a popup flash can come in handy there, but the 5DII doesn't have one...

I plan on also getting some P or Z cokin filters next year.

Even the larger Cokin Z filters will vignette at wider than 20mm on FF (the P's will vignette at wider than 28mm, IIRC, although there's an adapter that gets you to 20mm).  With a 16/17mm wide end, you might consider the Cokin X series, or the other 100mm filter brands (Lee, Schneider, Singh-Ray, etc.).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun and that you've thought this out pretty well.  One comment that I would make is I got the 24-105 over the 24-70 (like you--for the IS), and I wish I had gone the other way because I'm often shooting kids and sports and the IS doesn't really help in those situations whereas the extra stop really would.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:49:54 PM by thepancakeman »

JackSw1ss

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 12:53:27 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun and that you've thought this out pretty well.  One comment that I would make is I got the 24-105 over the 24-70 (like you--for the IS), and I wish I had gone the other way because I'm often shooting kids and sports and the IS doesn't really help in those whereas the extra stop really would.

Yeah it really comes down to what you need to do with that lens...I for example have as well opted for the 24-105 because here and there it happens to shoot a short movie (without being able to carry a tripod with video head, mainly on travels where weight is key factor) and I must say I've made the right choice for my needs.
I tried the 24-70 and it was awesome but then again, not "covering" my allround purposes.
I then go with the 50 1.4 to cover the low light needs on that FL range. Waiting for more cash to get the 1.2 tho, since I tried it and loved it at first "touch"...friends should never make you try such beauties LOL.

So yeah, maybe you'll be "stopped" by the f4 but there are great primes out there and the 24-105 is a great allround compromise (as well as being a suberb lens) for various things.

ianhar

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
Hope you have a nice bag to fit your gear. Bag selection is quite important too. Learn from my mistake, i got 4 camera bag just in one year and another one will coming soon. Gear expanding is one of the reason for this but mainly is poor bag selection.

JackSw1ss

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 01:01:27 PM »
Ideally the 300 or 400 prime would be nice but could never justify that for my uses, even if i could afford it.

LOL yes, I was thinking of that exactly eheheh..
then ok go for the converter...I thought that maybe u would have liked the idea of the 300 or 400. people are great with spending other people money LOL.

Just a minor quote (and maybe the more tech guys can confirm/deny)
I've seen tons of sport photographers (I shoot not a lot but some cycling events (for fun, not work)) using the 1D, 70-200 and the converter themselves, but not the 2x...the 1.4.
Asked them several times and they love how it performs better than the 2x as for distortion/CA etc etc...it's always other glass you put in between so they told me that 1.4 is their perfect solution. it gives you 300mm, still a nice f4 which on 1.3 crop still gives you a nice shallow DOF and not all the optical "problems" that the 2x might give (forgive me the word problems...it's not garbage, is that also logically it's less glass than the 2x, thus giving you less optical problems than the 2x. But I might be totally wrong in this. The great Neuranatomist could confirm or deny this statement. I've tried myself the 2x mkI and it was day and night between 70-200 alone and 70-200+2x....maybe it was old, maybe dirty I dunno...can't speak about the 1,4 unfortunately. Haven't tried it)
I've seen tons of shooters also using the 1.4x-200 1.8 or 2 combo....killer combo when they need that extra reach, otherwise leaving that light monster on the body alone without the converter LOL
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:26:03 PM by JackSw1ss »

Mendolera

• Canon AE-1
  • Heck, I’m not even mad; that’s amazing..
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 01:25:41 PM »
@ mreco99. Sounds like your going to have a great Saturday. Thats exciting even if your looking at a 9K+ or so day :)

It sounds like you have a purpose for these and planned it out well.

I have a similar lens collection to the ones you plan on buying minus the 17-40 and the 70-200 II (Got the old one non-IS) and the

I shoot a lot of my wife and son a lot and my most valuable piece is my 580exII.

I was going to get a 17-40 or 16-35 next but since I dont do much wide-angle I may just get another 580.

Good luck and enjoy..

5DIII | EOS M | 24-105 F/4L | 100-400 F/4.5-5.6L | 70-200 F/4L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4 | 580EXII | 22 F/2 M / 18-55 M | Sigma 105mm OS Macro

mreco99

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »
Even the larger Cokin Z filters will vignette at wider than 20mm on FF (the P's will vignette at wider than 28mm, IIRC, although there's an adapter that gets you to 20mm).  With a 16/17mm wide end, you might consider the Cokin X series, or the other 100mm filter brands (Lee, Schneider, Singh-Ray, etc.).
thanks, i did mean the z or x, but havent looked that hard yet, got to save something for next year.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »

mreco99

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
Hope you have a nice bag to fit your gear. Bag selection is quite important too. Learn from my mistake, i got 4 camera bag just in one year and another one will coming soon. Gear expanding is one of the reason for this but mainly is poor bag selection.
Dont get em started on bags, ive looked at LOADSSS!
Ive currently got a lowepro slingshot , its ok, wouldnt get another, and its not right for my new gear. After looking att of them i think probably the most useful is..
Tamrac 5788 Evolution 8 Sling Backpack
or
Lowepro Versapack 200AW
or
Lowepro Fastpack 350

non are perfect, and ill probably two, one for travelling, and a smaller one for lighter visits.
I like the laptop compartments, for a laptop or for magazines for holidays.
waterproof cover is essential, either builtin or seperate, i miss a waterbottle holder on my existing bag.

Anyone any favourites?

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 02:25:26 PM »
Only suggestion I can offer is to have it all delivered to my house.

I'll spend a few months dutifully trying everything out to make sure it all works as you expect.

And, of course, you'll get a full report.

Seriously, hope it all works out well for you.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »

OK recalculated and will hold off on the uw zoom (16-35 mk2) until the Spring.

5DMk2 + 24-105 kit canon
EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II Lens canon
2x Extender mk3 canon
100 L macro canon
17-40 L canon
16-35 mk2 canon (probably in the Spring 2012)
2x 16gb 400x sandisk cf
Spare battery
A CF reader

I have a similar setup though older and use 1.4 II extender. Haven't tried 2X III yet but found mkII disappointing. The 100 2.8L macro is a great lens.

Enjoy
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L /180 3.5L/ 300 4L / 100-400L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 03:07:18 PM »
non are perfect, and ill probably two, one for travelling, and a smaller one for lighter visits.
I like the laptop compartments, for a laptop or for magazines for holidays.
waterproof cover is essential, either builtin or seperate, i miss a waterbottle holder on my existing bag.

+1 - there is no perfect bag.  A testament to that is the fact that I have more camera bags than my wife has purses.   :-X

I like my Lowepro Flipside 400 AW as the travel bag - holds plenty of gear (mreco99 - think, room to expand!), although I've pretty much outgrown the possibility of one bag to hold all my gear).  It's great for an all-day outing or a multiday trip, but it doesn't get used all that much.

Personally, I've gotten much more use from a more modular system (all Lowepro).  I have two Toploader Pro bags, the 65 AW holds body with standard lens (any one of 24-105L, 16-35L, 100L Macro, or others like that), and the 75 AW holds body with white L zoom (70-200/2.8 II or 100-400).  The 2x Extender fits in the outer pocket of the 75 AW.  I then have a few Lens Cases - a couple of 1W's for 24-105, 16-35, 85L, TS-E 24mm, etc., a 2S for 100L Macro), and a S&F Lens Exchange 200 AW case which holds either white L zoom.  Finally, I have the S&F Deluxe Technical Belt, which is basically a sturdy belt with lots of SlipLock attachment loops.  This type of setup affords tremendous flexibility.  For example, I can attach one lens case to one of the Toploader Pros for any two-lens combination.  Or, two lens cases on the belt with the camera over the shoulder for a three-lens walkaround. 

JackSw1ss

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 03:24:03 PM »

I like my Lowepro Flipside 400 AW as the travel bag - holds plenty of gear (mreco99 - think, room to expand!), although I've pretty much outgrown the possibility of one bag to hold all my gear).  It's great for an all-day outing or a multiday trip, but it doesn't get used all that much.

+1
I have the flipside 400AW myself and boy, it's great for traveling.
The compartment only reachable from the back is the main thing that made me buy this bag.
I can assure you that when you travel with this back you won't care anymore about having your gear stolen (assuming they don't come at you pointing a gun and deliberating robbing you)
I went to several big cities, undergrounds, the dirtier one and some unsafe places as well, crowded places and never thought about being sneaky robbed from behind by some thieves...
I put my 7D, 16-35, 24-105, 70-200 and 50 (without flashes tho) fully loaded....I don't actually load it fully since it's too heavy, but just for the purpose of illustrating you the space. Ohh and on the front puch I can put the 580 flash plus radio triggers ;)

usually I go around with the dslr and 2 lenses...not always I carry my 70-200 so you can figure it out.

I have also a billingham hadley large...LOOOVE it to death!but that's a different story LOL.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »
I had the Lowepro AW Backpack... it's a great bag however I have found myself using my old trusty  1510 pelican case 99%... it's bulky, it's cumbersome, it's intrusive, however, i can drop it, kick it, use it as a step stool, I can do just about anything and it will survive and keep my gear in tact... Plus if I break it, I can return it and get a replacement.  I keep my lowepro bag when I need to carry a lot of gear and cant bring the pelican, but travel and any professional event, my pelican is my go-to case. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 04:03:06 PM »
Wow! I wish I had your bank account, dude!

It looks like you're going to have a very nice day tomorrow, and into the future, with your amazing new kit!

Enjoy it!
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 04:04:13 PM »
I keep my lowepro bag when I need to carry a lot of gear and cant bring the pelican, but travel and any professional event, my pelican is my go-to case.

How does the Pelican 1510 do for backcountry hiking or walking through an urban setting?  :P

Actually, I have a Peliacan-Storm im2500 (the Storm equivalent of the Pelican 1510, i.e. airline carry-on hard case).  The problem I had with just a hard case for travel is what you do with the case when you get there, i.e. how do you walk around with your gear?  A little inconvenient to drag the hard case around.  My solution was to remove the padded divider system from the Storm case, put the gear in the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, and put the Lowepro backpack inside the Storm case.  Sturdy, lockable protection for travel (also handy if you're forced to check you bag for whatever reason), plus the convenience of a backpack when I get where I'm going...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 04:04:13 PM »