September 23, 2014, 04:47:05 PM

Author Topic: Photo Backpak  (Read 2720 times)

Txema

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Photo Backpak
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:41:45 PM »
Hello, I'm looking for a good & lightweight photo backpack that would provide easy access to the camera and lenses with a good "hip strap". My hear would be a 5D mark III, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 16-35 2.8, Gitzo 1227 MkII , filters, batteries and maybe space for light clothing, water, snacks... And another backpack with all of the above plus a 24 TS a 580EXII and a Mackbook air 11".
Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

Photo Backpak
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:41:45 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Backpak
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
I have one of these, it takes good care of my stuff.  That'll hold most of your stuff - your laptop included - and after that finding some more storage space for the rest shouldn't be too difficult.  You could get a bag an increment larger and just put everything in it, too.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

Txema

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
looks very good, but it seems like Il have to take it off in order to access my gear. I'm looking for something similar but with something that would allow me to get a lens without having to place it in the ground. Maybe a side pocket or something of the short.

How do you get a lens with the backpack on?

Thanks.

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 03:17:50 PM »
looks very good, but it seems like Il have to take it off in order to access my gear. I'm looking for something similar but with something that would allow me to get a lens without having to place it in the ground. Maybe a side pocket or something of the short.

Thanks.

With that one you have to take it off.  One of these might work if it is big enough for you.

Jim

Txema

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 03:31:11 PM »

Thanks.

Txema

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 03:34:47 PM »
maybe I'm asking for too much but I'm looking for a real Backpack with two shoulder straps rather than a Sling.

Thanks.

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 03:38:14 PM »
maybe I'm asking for too much but I'm looking for a real Backpack with two shoulder straps rather than a Sling.

Thanks.

In that case I'm not quite sure how you could satisfy both of your requirements; what about a sling-style strap or a holster for a body and a lens, and a bag for everything else?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 03:38:14 PM »

stefsan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 03:33:39 AM »
Is this what you are looking for? http://www.mindshiftgear.com
EOS 7D; EOS 40D; EF 70-200 f4 L; EF 70-300 L; EF 100 f2.8; EF-S 15-85; EF-S 10-22 |
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefsan/

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 05:56:55 AM »
ThinkTank Street Walker HD for the first question.
In it is only place for a 15,4- laptop.
Big plus for me is you can fold the hip- straps under a pad, so it has a much smaller footprint standing on the floor.

StephenC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 07:32:38 AM »
With that one you have to take it off.  One of these might work if it is big enough for you.

Jim

I have the (old) Slingshot 200 and manage to get all my kit in. It is a tight fit and pretty heavy to lug around, but I'm not sure a proper backpack would make any difference. I think you would have to look at the bigger versions for the 70-200 2.8.
Canon EOS 5D mkIII
Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT + ST-E3-RT, Canon GP-E2, Eye-Fi Card

old-pr-pix

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »
Take a look at Lowepro Flipside Sport 20L A/W
Lots of Canon stuff -- FD, EF, EF-L, EF-S.  Olympus stuff too

HbergOnline

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:44 AM »

Thanks.

You may want to check out F-Stop Gear http://fstopgear.com

I have two of their bags - Loka & Guru.

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:44 AM »
I have LOKA backpack (f-stop company) with Large PRO ICU  -  see here https://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/loka.html

It is very light, but VERY durable. And it's very comfort, too. On their website you can see how much of photo gear you can put into each ICU unit and how much space remains above it and in other pockets.

In mine I can put gripped 5D3, 24-70, 70-200. I would easily put in also another 16-35 (if I would have it ;) And there is also space for some filters, flash. All this inside ICU unit. Then I can put some clothes, food,.... in other pockets or above ICU in the main pocket.

I have Gitzo 4542LS which I could attach on one side or back.

However, they are very well made and very durable. But also quite expensive. :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:44 AM »

priyadi

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
Hello, I'm looking for a good & lightweight photo backpack that would provide easy access to the camera and lenses with a good "hip strap". My hear would be a 5D mark III, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 16-35 2.8, Gitzo 1227 MkII , filters, batteries and maybe space for light clothing, water, snacks... And another backpack with all of the above plus a 24 TS a 580EXII and a Mackbook air 11".
Thanks.

I have similar requirements. Tried several backpacks and finally settled with F-stop Kenti. It has 'easy access', you don't have to take it off to access your gears; and it has an *excellent* hip belt. It will fit your 5d3, 24-70, 70-200, 16-35, a few filters, and your MBA. With the optional strap, it can also carry your gitzo. There's a rollup compartment where you can store clothing, etc. It also has a space for a hydration reservoir, just remember not to fill your hydration reservoir completely, or it will bulge and reduce space in your gear compartment.

It can easily carry all of your gears. However you may need to sacrifice easy access for a few gears and put them inside the rollup compartment.

The belt has a molle attachment on a side. Sometimes I attach one of my thinktank belt component for an extra space for gears. I wish they lose the pocket on the other side and give me a second molle attachment. Other than this, and the bulging hydration compartment, it is a perfect backpack for me.

mnclayshooter

• Power Shot G16
  • I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »
I use the canon 200 EG backpack. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=248295&gclid=CMSTqcDlg74CFSISMwodhTUA8g&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Granted - it's the first and only camera backpack I've ever owned, but I haven't come up with a complaint yet.  Others may have reasons not to buy it.  But for $40 or so (I think right now at B&H it's $39), I can live with it being a second pack if I find one in the future that I like more.   

I carry a 6D w/ 100-400L mounted, a 40mm pancake, 17-40, a 100mm macro and the 24-105 kit lens in that pack as well as a 430EX II flash, batteries, charger etc and some filters in the pockets as well as all of the cables etc.  The only thing I haven't figured out how to fit in there is my flash diffuser (fong - not super compact).  I still have room for a few smaller accessories (Batteries, filters, caps/covers/rain covers etc).  I usually throw a pack of sunflower seeds or something like that in the outter webbing as well - can't go hungry, right? 

The only thing I think I wish it had was a water bottle holder and a dedicated way to add a tripod case to it in a built-in sort of way... I use velcro straps onto the side, which seems to work fine.   It might be nice to get a pocket for a tablet in there too, but I can live without it... more capacity means more stuff I'll put in there, it gets heavy enough as is.  I added a piece of mesh material - similar to a laundry sack, to the inside to cover the lens holder area so that in the event that the zipper comes undone (never even come close to happening so far - I'm just a little paranoid), that there's one more layer of protection against lenses falling out or rattling around. 

My main use for it is to carry my gear to remote locations on hiking trails, tops of hills/mountains/cliffs, along rivers etc.  Not really urban photography. 

One note - the bag had a sort of foam-plastic odor when brand-new, but it dissipated within a few days of taking it out of its plastic wrap and I haven't notcied it at all since. 

Just my 2 cents. 
Canon gear: 6D, G1X, A620, 24-105L, 100-400L, 100mm Macro, 40mm pancake, 430EX II; Canon Deluxe Backpack 200EG; Non-Canon Gear: Tamron 17-35, Kenko Extension Tubes, Fong lightsphere, MeFoto Globtrekker tripod/head, BlackRapid sport

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »