September 18, 2014, 05:50:45 PM

Author Topic: Photo Backpak  (Read 2705 times)

ScubaX

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Backpak
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 04:23:15 AM »
I have some F-Stop bags and they are really well made and comfortable. The Mountain Series http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain.html have their access from the back-pad and may allow you to flip it around on your hips and access the gear.

There are a few other options that may satisfy your need to change lenses and not put the bag down. One idea is to use something like a lens change bag that you attach to your hip belt, shoulder strap or gear attach point on the pack.

The side access bags are another idea, but mostly sling type and may be a little small for your needs.

I recently saw a system, the name escapes me, that had a modular system with a main bag in the back and multiple bags that could be added to the front to counter the weight in the back.

Then back to the F-Stop bags, this woman claims she can flip that Loka in the video around on her hips and change out lenses. I don't know why she did not demo that, as that would have been way more entertaining than watching her unpack her bag:

http://youtu.be/d-AX1HtbmZk
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:25:57 AM by ScubaX »
5DMK3, BG-E11, RRS L-Plate, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 70-300 4-5.6L IS, 400 5.6L, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS Macro, 24-105 4.0L IS, 50 1.4, Extenders 2x III & 1.4x III,  Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ MH054M0-Q2 BH converted to A-S, full kit of Lee Filters, F-Stop Satori, Loka and Guru. Modded Black Rapid

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 04:23:15 AM »

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 05:13:48 AM »

Then back to the F-Stop bags, this woman claims she can flip that Loka in the video around on her hips and change out lenses. I don't know why she did not demo that, as that would have been way more entertaining than watching her unpack her bag:

I tried that, and it's OK unless you don't do that every time. Because those hip belts aren't made to hold all of the weight in that way. And if some of the stitching wear off, all of your equipment could fall down.

Occasionally it works, but I really don't want to practice this all the time.

pisarzp

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 06:07:16 AM »
I have LOKA backpack (f-stop company) with Large PRO ICU  -  see here https://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/loka.html

It is very light, but VERY durable. And it's very comfort, too. On their website you can see how much of photo gear you can put into each ICU unit and how much space remains above it and in other pockets.

In mine I can put gripped 5D3, 24-70, 70-200. I would easily put in also another 16-35 (if I would have it ;) And there is also space for some filters, flash. All this inside ICU unit. Then I can put some clothes, food,.... in other pockets or above ICU in the main pocket.

I have Gitzo 4542LS which I could attach on one side or back.

However, they are very well made and very durable. But also quite expensive. :(

I have Tilopa from F-Stop. The backpack is very durable and big enough that I packed my gear to ICU and had enough space for clothes and all other things when backpacking in Asia.
However, the access to the camera is quite cumbersome. Also this backpacks don't give any space to breathe for your back, so you get very sweaty.Maybe I had too much stuff in mine backpack, but with tripod and all things inside I cannot imagine myself trying to change lens while holding backpack.

Due to all this issues I also bought LowePro Transit 350 AW. This one allows you to take camera out of backpack without taking it out, but it's much smaller. I still managed to put there couple tshirts and underwear for short trip.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile

yorgasor

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 03:49:47 PM »
I don't use a single backpack solution.  If I need lots of stuff with me, I'll carry a backpack with gear I expect I'll need less often, and have my camera and a lens or two attached to a belt for quick access on things I expect I'll use most.

charlesbanke

• Power Shot G16
  • 17 year old doing what he loves
    • View Profile
    • Charles Banke Photography
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 06:42:42 PM »
i use the one smaller version of this, however this size seems like it would be better suited for your gear, it might be a little tight, however it is a good option for you.  http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/photo-sport-pro-30l-aw check it out, it is great for accessing your gear without taking off the pack.  I use it all the time while hiking and while shooting sporting events, it is very accessible.
1Diii, 1Diin, 60D, 70-200 2.8 L IS ii, 17-40, 40 pancake, 50 1.4, some flashes and pocket wizards

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 06:42:42 PM »